Dual nationality question

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
lee
udonmap.com

Dual nationality question

Post by lee » June 17, 2010, 11:30 am

If a child has dual nationality and holds both a Thai and British passport, can he/she use both at the same time for traveling i.e. the British passport for traveling back to the UK and the Thai passport when returning? Or should both passports be presented to immigration at the same time? If used independently I'm wondering if problems will arise with exit and entry stamps. :-k

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Dual nationality question

Post by jackspratt » June 17, 2010, 11:55 am

I can't see any problem in using them independently ie the Thai passport for out/in Thailand, and the UK for in/out there.

It avoids the need for visas in the respective countries, and I don't believe there is any requirement to "present" both passports. Obviously, the "other" passport should be readily available in the case of queries from the Immigration officer.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » June 17, 2010, 12:23 pm

My daughter used her Thai one on leaving Thailand, then put it away before entering the U.K.

Use the British one on entering the U.K. via Immigration control.

On leaving the U.K. vice versa.

British one on leaving, then put it away before re entering Thailand via the Thai passport

I,m not sure if it has changed, but we had to complete a T.M. card for departure from here, then the arrrival part on coming back in.

I have never had to show both passports together.

marshbags

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 17, 2010, 12:31 pm

Thanks for the replies. :D

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » June 17, 2010, 5:13 pm

You will have no problems doing as the above is she British by descent born in Thailand ?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 17, 2010, 5:48 pm

Just a heads up here . When exiting the UK on the British passport have the Thai one handy at check in as they will want to see it as you won't have a long stay visa, nor I doubt a booked return flight . Subject to that there is no problem. I have done it many times with my dual nationality step kids .

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 17, 2010, 6:37 pm

ThaiVisaExpress wrote:is she British by descent born in Thailand ?
Yes British by decent and born in Thailand.
trubrit wrote:When exiting the UK on the British passport have the Thai one handy at check in as they will want to see it
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

ThaiVisaExpress
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiVisaExpress » June 17, 2010, 6:43 pm

A British citizen by descent is a person born outside the UK and is acquired if one or both parents are British citizens. This means that you cannot automatically pass on British citizenship to any child who is born abroad.

A bit of useless information at this stage im sure but handy to know.

goronnie
udonmap.com

Post by goronnie » June 17, 2010, 7:03 pm

"If a child has dual nationality and holds both a Thai and British passport, can he/she use both at the same time for traveling i.e. the British passport for traveling back to the UK and the Thai passport when returning? "

That's exactly how we've being doing it for the last 5 years. However, don't let Thai immigration know your child has 2 passports. They will demand that one of them is given up, as it is illegal to have dual nationality in Thailand - unlike the UK. When we are in Thailand, I make sure the kids use Thai passports only, even for identification on internal flights. Don't wan't computers talking to each other and the flagging up people with the same name using 2 different passports. May never happen - but I don't take the chance anyway. Took long enought o get British citizenship without giviing it. In and out of the uk, and anywhere else in the world, we take the advantage of a British Passport and visa waivers etc.

Kevro
udonmap.com

Post by Kevro » June 17, 2010, 7:24 pm

Hi Guys,

My son was born in Australia and is nearing 5 years of age and has an Australian passport. I have avoided getting Thai citizenship (Dual Nationality) and passport for him as I am concerned about the recruitment process within Thailand for the Armed forces. Currently, please correct me if I am wrong, Thai guys can be called up into the armed forces at a certain age by simple random selection of a wrong coloured ball at a certain time and place.

If this was not the case as I see it, he would of had a second citizenship by now and would make everything a lot easier.

Am I correct?

Happy to be proved wrong also.

Kevro

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » June 18, 2010, 6:40 am

At 5yo I don't think he has to worry about the draft for a while.

My son turned 21 April 2nd. He received a call a couple days later for him to report to the draft office where he was to pick a card. If the card was red he was drafted and if it was black, he goes back to the house and on with his life. He drew red and had to report for boot camp May 1st.

He had 1 semester of university to graduate. I asked my wife if they would defer the report date so he could finish college. No, they don't do that.

redbeard
udonmap.com

Post by redbeard » June 18, 2010, 7:26 am

My wife is dual Thai-Aus she needs to show her Thai passport at the ticket counter in Aus if staying longer than 4 weeks as visa ,and they now ask for both passports at Thai imigration ,they know she has dual citizenship but have never asked for her to surrender her Thai passport ,I contacted the Thai consular in Aus and my children are eligable for dual citizenship so if they ask show both passports and you will have no problems ,you wont lose one of them ,any problems ask to see the immigration officer in charge as the one you are dealing with doesnt know the rules .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2010, 7:47 am

Farang1 wrote:At 5yo I don't think he has to worry about the draft for a while.

My son turned 21 April 2nd. He received a call a couple days later for him to report to the draft office where he was to pick a card. If the card was red he was drafted and if it was black, he goes back to the house and on with his life. He drew red and had to report for boot camp May 1st.

He had 1 semester of university to graduate. I asked my wife if they would defer the report date so he could finish college. No, they don't do that.
The draft is normally at 17 for service at 18. If your son was attending higher education it can be deferred until 21. So it looks like he already had his call up postponed .In these circumstances the recruitment officer can be quite understanding about arranging a black card as they only require about 20% of those eligible to serve . :-" TIT

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 18, 2010, 11:50 am

trubrit wrote:
Farang1 wrote:At 5yo I don't think he has to worry about the draft for a while.

The draft is normally at 17 for service at 18. If your son was attending higher education it can be deferred until 21. So it looks like he already had his call up postponed .In these circumstances the recruitment officer can be quite understanding about arranging a black card as they only require about 20% of those eligible to serve . :-" TIT
21 years of age for compulsory military service; 18 years of age for voluntary military service; males are registered at 18 years of age; 2-year conscript service obligation

Kevro
udonmap.com

Post by Kevro » June 18, 2010, 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply's guys.

What it really comes down to is that if by the time he is 7 years old (When he is to old to stay on his mums passport and not have to leave every 3 months) then I will take him to Laos with me every 3 months rather than get him Thai Citizenship.

Just Re-read that but hope its not to confusing.

Still a long way to go as yet.

Kevro

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 19, 2010, 9:51 am

OK so that's sorted, I show the Thai passport to immigration when leaving Thailand and the British one when entering the UK. And then on the return trip show the British passport when leaving the UK, and Thai passport when arriving in Thailand.

Just one more question, which passport do you show the airline company in Thailand when checking in? I'm concerned if you show the Thai passport they may ask for a valid UK visa.

thanuhak
udonmap.com

Post by thanuhak » June 19, 2010, 10:15 am

My family is scheduled to leave for US this coming Friday.

My 2-year-old son born here has only a US passport at the moment, never used.

So...am I going to have problems leaving or re-entering Thailand?

What's that you say about travelling on mother's passport? She has only Thai one with 10 year multiple entry US non-immigrant visa.

Didn't even think about this, perhaps stupidly. Should I get my 2-year-old a Thai passport urgently in the next few days?

Or will they stamp him in on return under some special conditions? Hmmm, why didn't I ever consider this? Cause I figured he was born here and is "Thai" also so it wouldn't be a problem. Wrong? Or can I show them birth certificate or something? Oh my.

Help and advice seriously needed. Thx in advance.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 19, 2010, 10:35 am

If he doesn't have a Thai passport by the time he returns to Thailand I imagine you will need a visa for him in his US passport - otherwise he will get 30 days "permitted to stay" at the airport.

From experience, Thai passports are granted on the spot (maybe 1 or 2 hour delay) if you have all the correct paperwork. As there is a passport office in Udon, I can't see any problems in getting him a passport before you leave next Friday.

As suggested earlier - Thai passport on the way out, US passport when he enters the US, and vice versa in the other direction.

thanuhak
udonmap.com

Post by thanuhak » June 19, 2010, 10:39 am

Thanks Jack - did my 7-year-old daughter's Thai passport last year, and seem to recall that they sent it to us in the mail about a week later. Maybe I'm wrong? Anyone else know?

Otherwise, I just spoke with my travel agent who said also there's not enough time to get him a passport, so when I re-enter, get him a tourist visa. Then, get him a Thai passport. Then go to Laos with him using US passport to leave, and Thai one to re-enter, so there will be no overstay issue.

Sound like a plan? However, if we can do passport in 3 days, will do that... Standing by for more advice... THX!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 19, 2010, 10:48 am

Sorry than - bad information. Just checked with the Mrs, and the passport actually came in the mail a few days later.

If you do not have time to get it here, it is possible you may be able to get a passport from the Thai Embassy in the US.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”