Visa advice please

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
21again
udonmap.com

Visa advice please

Post by 21again » September 29, 2010, 8:47 am

Hi,
I'm due to go to Laos soon for a visa but i have been told they are only issueing 60 day singles, this is the one i need next but i thiught you could get a double entry one.
Anyone been lately?
Cheers

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Re: Visa advice please

Post by SanukJoe » September 29, 2010, 9:01 am

21again wrote:Hi,
I'm due to go to Laos soon for a visa but i have been told they are only issueing 60 day singles, this is the one i need next but i thiught you could get a double entry one.
Anyone been lately?
Cheers
Why ask?

What is the norm today can be impossible tomorrow, specially in Immigration.

Do us a favour, go there, apply for double entry and let us know what they did.

That way we all can have the advantage of factual reports, "have been told", "I heard" and "a friend of mine" are bs, facts is what counts, at least on the day.

Cheers
Joe

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » September 29, 2010, 9:17 am

I am asking a quite simple question really, i thought that this was the purpose of forums, if someone has been recently and can share the 'FACTUAL' information i would then decide as to what alternatives there are.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 29, 2010, 10:08 am

Don't take it personal 21... :D
I think Joe is referring to another thread recently on here about Vientiane only allowing 3 sequential tourist visas now. As no-one volunteered that they had recently applied for a tourist visa in Vientiane I guess he thought that you were asking a question that would not be answered. But he is correct, if you could offer some personal factual feedback when you return then that would be most welcome.
On I personal basis I can't be much help to your question either as it is over 15 months ago that i last applied for a tourist visa. However, it is difficult to see what the aim of the Embassy in Vientiane would be in refusing to supply at least 1 double entry tourist visa on request. That being said (& I think also Joes' point) this is Thailand & so anything that a Falang sees as logical may be the last thing to happen & what happened yesterday may not happen today... :shock:
Good luck, in all my experiences of using the Embassy (howbeit a while ago) in Vientiane it has always been an easy task, if maybe a little boring with the queuing involved...

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » September 29, 2010, 10:40 am

Thanks Bob for your explanation, you're spot on.

I merely wanted to point out that it makes no sense to ask for some one's experience as it could change today.
If I would tell I went there yesterday, with positive result, someone would go today in a positive mood only to find out that they changed the rules from today.....

It remains interesting though to read factual reports, hence my request to the OP.

I checked on TV and the latest/newest report re Vientiane is dated 20 Aug. 2010 (6 weeks ago).
The guy got a double tourist visa although he is already 3 years on tourist visas from Vientiane.
Sounds good but we know TIT, it might have changed or might change soon...

Joe

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » September 29, 2010, 11:02 am

The reason for my query is that if you now can only get a single 60 day visa, for me, it may be better to have a visit home and get my year visa renewed, 3 trips to Vientienne, which can be a bit of a hassle, plus expenses, only to stay for 6 months plus maybe 1x30 day extension could cost a little less than going home.
I do understand that things can change at immigration but i was trying to save myself a trip.
Thanks anyway

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » September 29, 2010, 11:24 am

21again wrote:The reason for my query is that if you now can only get a single 60 day visa, for me, it may be better to have a visit home and get my year visa renewed, 3 trips to Vientienne, which can be a bit of a hassle, plus expenses, only to stay for 6 months plus maybe 1x30 day extension could cost a little less than going home.
I do understand that things can change at immigration but i was trying to save myself a trip.
Thanks anyway
You already assume that you can only get a single entry visa.... nobody has stated that, it is in fact the confusion made by some poster on another thread, there are no reports about it and I personally tend to believe the existing situation until someone reports negatively. There is a lot of bar talk around, one time an idiot stirred the pot by starting a thread about "red stamp of Vientiane". In all these cases it is not factual personal info but "heard of" stories.

Therefor, go for it, apply for a double entry and probably you will get it without problems, giving you 60+60+30 days in Thailand if you apply for the 30 day extension.

Please let us know your experience after you're back from Vientiane.

Good luck
Joe

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 29, 2010, 11:27 am

21again wrote:The reason for my query is that if you now can only get a single 60 day visa, for me, it may be better to have a visit home and get my year visa renewed, 3 trips to Vientienne, which can be a bit of a hassle, plus expenses, only to stay for 6 months plus maybe 1x30 day extension could cost a little less than going home.
Thanks anyway
Here's they're email & contact page, why don't you try giving them a shout and may be you'll get a proper answer.

[email protected]

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vienti ... y_address/

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » September 29, 2010, 11:59 am

Thanks for that papaguido, don't know why i didn't think of it,
Regards

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » September 30, 2010, 9:40 am

There is still no problem for most people getting a two entry free tourist visa from Vientiane. They have not made any change to single only. But some with long history may have issues getting any.

cambsangler
udonmap.com

Post by cambsangler » October 2, 2010, 5:35 pm

21again wrote:Hi,
Anyone been lately?
Cheers
I got a double entry visa just 9 days ago from Laos. As far as I could gather, having talked to a few others, all that applied for double entry 60 day visa got it.

Of course, it could all have changed since then :?

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » October 3, 2010, 12:59 pm

cambsangler wrote: I got a double entry visa just 9 days ago from Laos. As far as I could gather, having talked to a few others, all that applied for double entry 60 day visa got it.

Of course, it could all have changed since then :?
Thanks a lot for reporting this, exactly what we need: updated reports!

It would be good if more people would take the time and post their recent experiences.

Joe

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » October 29, 2010, 4:05 pm

To follow up my own advice regarding factual reports here is my report from Vientiane Consulate.

Went there on Oct. 27, got there around 10 am and was shocked to see the crowd, got in and took my number: 241! Checked at the counter and they were processing number 75. Quick calculation made me clear that I wouldn't make it before noon when they close. So I took the agent service for the work and left.
Next day at 1 pm the agent got my passport with double entry visa, I left with a taxi to the bridge and at 4 pm I was back home.

This concerns a tourist visa, double entry, I have already three in my passport. No problem.
I talked to 4 people, all for tourist visa after having a number of them before, all got their visa.
Looking at the speed at which the people came out with their passports I can only conclude that there were no obstacles made by the consulate.

I worry though about the large number of applicants, I read everywhere numbers got down, 20/30 people or so and when I come in it's the same as when the free passport period was nearly ended. I have no idea what caused this as the period goes on until March next year.

Anyway, I'm covered for the next 120 days, next year I will get a Non Imm. O for one year, hope Perth will reopen.

Joe

RussellB
udonmap.com

Post by RussellB » October 30, 2010, 7:13 am

Joe, The guy who takes your passport in, How much does he charge? and Does he collect it next day for you? Is he a reliable type?

Thanks

Russell

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » November 2, 2010, 11:20 am

I sent you pm with details.

Joe

RussellB
udonmap.com

Post by RussellB » November 2, 2010, 11:31 am

Yes, Thanks Joe just read that, Appreciated. I have 4 previous visa,s in my passport. So I am thinking this guy may know the right person to give it to.. I am worried I may get rejected.

Regards

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 2, 2010, 12:29 pm

SanukJoe wrote:Do us a favour, go there, apply for double entry and let us know what they did.
That way we all can have the advantage of factual reports, "have been told", "I heard" and "a friend of mine" are bs, facts is what counts, at least on the day.
Agree
RusselB wrote:The guy who takes your passport in, How much does he charge? and Does he collect it next day for you? Is he a reliable type?
Good question.
SanukJoe wrote:I sent you pm with details.
So much for sharing experiences with the forum and factual reports so the entire forum can make better, informed decisions.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”