non immigrant O , 1 year ?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
kopkei
udonmap.com

non immigrant O , 1 year ?

Post by kopkei » March 21, 2011, 8:56 am

as this visa is not available in vientiane , does anyone know it is possible to get this visa in any neighbor country of thailand?
so you do not have to fly all the way back to your own country ( f,e , europe)if possible, where to do, what documents needed,costs, and the requirements about having, to be married to thai lady or not ? proof of income or not ?, under or above age of 50...???,or available to anyone? many questions , but on many websites(non english) they are asking about this ,so thanks for any advice on this..( recent own or friends experience,not assumptions please ) ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: non immigrant O , 1 year ?

Post by BobHelm » March 21, 2011, 9:14 am

You have to go back 'home' to get one kopkei - although I understand that 'home' can, in the case of a member of a EU country actually mean any of the EU countries.
The rules are different from Country to Country & even from different Consulates/Embassies within the same country. The rules have just drastically changed from the Consulates within the UK, for example, & I am confident that the rules applied from the various places in the UK that I quoted in this thread
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/o ... 20219.html
Are currently correct. They were
Rules.jpg
For the Hull Consulate (& also the London Embassy) with these restrictions applicable to the other UK Consulates
BobHelm wrote:I have had a quick look at the other Thai Consulate sites in England & Wales...
In summary there requirements for the 'o' visa are as follows.

Birmingham - production of marriage certificate the only reason for them issuing one.
Liverpool - as Birmingham or :
A British family visiting husband working in Thailand. Visas are required for each family member including children and the maximum stay on this visa is 90 days for a single entry. A multiple entry visa entitles you to a 12 month stay, conditional on leaving Thailand for 48 hours every 90 days.
Cardiff - same as Birmingham or for Business purposes in which case these are the conditions:
When applying for this type of visa the usual documentation must be accompanied by a letter detailing the reason for the visit and an undertaking from the Company, Organisation etc., that they will be responsible for the applicant during their stay in Thailand and their eventual repatriation, should this be necessary.
This type of visa allows anyone employed to work in Thailand the opportunity of staying for up to 90 days whilst the employers obtain the necessary work permit for a longer period of residency, if this has not already been granted.
I would not even want to guess what rules are being applied by the Embassy/Consulates in other countries, but they have certainly been tightened up since the start of 2011 for the UK..

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 21, 2011, 9:50 am

kop you could ask the Thai consul in Brisbane [email protected]

Oz is a lot closer and cheaper than going to Europe, but it would probably only be feasible if you qualify for an online e-visa (depends on your nationality http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist ... bility.htm )

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » March 21, 2011, 1:04 pm

Hi,
Why not go and get a single entry "O" visa from Lao. 60 days. When this is nesrly up go to Thai. Imm. and ask for a extent. to this visa for 12 months. If you go to Imm. they will explain this. Ask for leaflet, it is in Eng. and Thai,
Have to have a letter from your embassy as proof of income. 800,000B per year required, or money in a Thai bank. The Imm. would not take a letter from my income tax people, showing my earnings. This 800K applies wither you are married to a Thai or not, for a extention to a "O" visa. The 400,000B is only when you apply for a marraige visa. I had to do this last year, as with the exchange rate my pensions only came to 750,000B p.a.. Udon Imm said to put 50,000B in Thai bank. I said no, my savings earn good interest at home, so they are staying there. So ended up getting a marriage visa. Not a hard job, but Udon Imm. reluctant to do. Try to get you to go other way.
For marriage visa requirements for me were, Letter from embassy showing income. 400,000B p.a. min.. Photos of house with me and wife. Drawing of where house is. I took a copy from google earth and they accepted it. Marriage cert, and a witness that has known you for at least 12 months. Not a relitive. Passport and money , 1,900B. Plus house book. Letter from B. Ebbassy in Bangkok cost me about 2320B. You require orig. and two copies of each. When i reread all the forms, again, it said 40,000B a month, which works out to 480,000B. TIT.
Hope this helps.
By the way i got my 12 months multi. entry "O" at Hull. By post came to about 110GBP's. this included a pre-paid return, reg. letter. If you visit con. costs just under 100GBP's. You could only get a 12 months multi "O" visa in the country you were a resident in. According to Con..

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 21, 2011, 2:00 pm

hi guy's,
first thanks all for the reply , it is not really something concerning me , but someone i know, what puzzles me most is that 10years ago i did get in my home country a 1 year non o multiple entry visa , off course things change every year..
but also the 3 month non o in vientiane is only in case you are married , retirement , over 50..,
so what visa is there available for a guy not married , under 50 but able to stay financially in thailand?
so no retired and no marriage , not welcome?
in this case the guy came to thailand , made 3 month non o ( did not know he could make one of 1 year non o also, in his homecountry, also maybe as he is not married )
is planning to marry ,9 with thai lady ) but the affidavit of the embassy is delayed and his 3 months are almost expired , so he can also make a tourist visa for the moment ( his friends tell him he can get this with thai immigration here , i thought thai immigration do not give any tourist visa...? )you must go to f.e vientiane....,
so thanks again all ready for the responses and to any one else who can give more info on this...

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

All the information supplied is correct, however why oh why do foreigners not actually go to Immigration and spend some time asking them, the amount of posts generated about Visas is enormous when a simple visit can provide all the questions and answers. Makes sense to me , but to others it seems it is a task too much.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » March 21, 2011, 2:37 pm

kopkei wrote:is planning to marry ,9 with thai lady ) but the affidavit of the embassy is delayed and his 3 months are almost expired , so he can also make a tourist visa for the moment ( his friends tell him he can get this with thai immigration here , i thought thai immigration do not give any tourist visa...? )you must go to f.e vientiane....,
so thanks again all ready for the responses and to any one else who can give more info on this...
kopkei in your friends case above.. He has two choices really..
1. He can go to the Immigration Office & get a 30 day extension to his current visa.
2. He can go to a Embassy/Consulate outside Thailand & get a 60 day tourist visa.

He cannot get a Tourist (or any other sort of Visa) from Immigration inside Thailand - only an extension.
If he takes the 'tourist visa' route then my understanding (& I may be wrong here) is that he will then need to go back to a Consulate/Embassy to get a non Imm 'o' visa based on the fact he is now married. He can then (before it expires) take that to an Immigration Office within Thailand & get it extended to a 12 month stay with 90 day reporting.

Paul, I understand what you say about visas if you are going to that particular office to get/extend one
However, there is NO point in going to an Immigration Office in Thailand & asking them what the rules are for visas obtainable from Consulates/Embassies. They will have no idea...

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 21, 2011, 4:47 pm

BobHelm wrote:
kopkei wrote:is planning to marry ,9 with thai lady ) but the affidavit of the embassy is delayed and his 3 months are almost expired , so he can also make a tourist visa for the moment ( his friends tell him he can get this with thai immigration here , i thought thai immigration do not give any tourist visa...? )you must go to f.e vientiane....,
kopkei in your friends case above.. He has two choices really..
1. He can go to the Immigration Office & get a 30 day extension to his current visa.
2. He can go to a Embassy/Consulate outside Thailand & get a 60 day tourist visa.
Adding to BH's post, I would suggest that your friend bring any documentation supporting his intent to marry. Ask for 60 days, not 30. It's up to immigration to grant whatever they desire, but if he's lucky with justification he may get the 60 days.

From personal experience: I was on a Marriage extension and wanted to change to Retirement, but I was a few months shy of turning 50. My marriage extension was due to expire and without asking for it they granted me 60 days. It wasn't free, I had to pay 1900bt.

It doesn't hurt to ask. Also, ensure your friend is aware of the financial requirement.

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » March 21, 2011, 8:19 pm

Go to Immigration!!!! I asked the same question 4 months ago. Got ALOT of miss-information here. Easy process to get a 1 year retirement visa. You DO NOT have to leave Thailand. Go to the source!!!

greatsnake
udonmap.com

Post by greatsnake » March 22, 2011, 9:40 am

The problem isn't so much the miss-information here, it's that the information Immigration gives you changes almost as often as the tides. Just because last month you were given certain requirements doesn't necessarily mean that will hold this month or next month.

Best advice is to go to Immigration the day you want to do something, get the required documentation, come back ASAP (preferably the same day) and deal with the same official to get your visa/extension. Don't be surprised though if the official who told you "A" denies ever saying "A" even a few hours later. TIT

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 22, 2011, 10:29 am

greatsnake wrote:The problem isn't so much the miss-information here, it's that the information Immigration gives you changes almost as often as the tides. Just because last month you were given certain requirements doesn't necessarily mean that will hold this month or next month.

Best advice is to go to Immigration the day you want to do something, get the required documentation, come back ASAP (preferably the same day) and deal with the same official to get your visa/extension. Don't be surprised though if the official who told you "A" denies ever saying "A" even a few hours later. TIT
I concur with the above as it has happen to me and more than one occasion when dealing with the crew at Udon Immigration, but never any problems at Nong Khai before the Udon office opened.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » March 22, 2011, 12:47 pm

Hi,
My friend who is unmarried and under 50, he's 48. went to Vient. Dec. 2010, to the Thai embassy and got a 60 day "O" visa from them. He finally got married in Feb. so will be getting a ext. because of marriage now.
Best thing is you don't have to leave LOS. Just report to Imm every 90 days, or when you change address.
I asked Imm. Udon, as my "O" visa was nearly out of date. and had not obtained my ext. due to marriage yet. They give me a extention to stay for 30 days.The stamp they put in my passport was not a visa but a application to stay for 30 days, because of being married to a Thai. citizen. App. for ext to stay because of marriage, or marriage visa, as some people call them, must be processed in BKK. I got the app. to stay approved for 12 months, within three weeks of putting in the application.
You cannot get a visa issued in LOS. you can get a extension to stay, which has to be paid for. So Udon Imm. say. Since i applied for a 12 months extention for my "O" visa and then got permission to stay, because of marriage, all the stamps, LOS imm., have put in my P.P. not ONE have the word visa on them.
The stamp for my ext. to "O" visa was.
UDON THANI IMMIGRATION
APPLICATION TO STAY IS PERMITTED UP TO .......... .
APPLICANT MUST LEAVE THE KINGDOM WITHIN THE DATE SPECIFED HERIN OFFENDERS WILL BE PROSECUTED. their words not mine.
You cannot get a visa in LOS it must be obtained in your country of residance. Extentions you can get in LOS.
Went down to Imm last week for 90 day report. In and out within 4 mins, Had all the paperwork filled in prior to going. Must say building is very nice, and Imm very helpful.
As a lot of people said go to Imm. yourself and inquire. They are the people that can help you. You then have it from the horses mouth. They open at 0830Hrs. Closed for a hour at lunch.
Since imm. opened in Udon, at airport, and now at new offices, all info i have recieved has been correct and the officers very helpful. Providing you treat them with respect. The only bad experance i have had is at N.K. imm.. Also on one trip to N.K. imm., when i showed them the letter from B.E. proving earnings, it was in GBP's, the officer ask me what the exchange rate was. TIT.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 22, 2011, 1:54 pm

douglas wrote:Hi,
My friend who is unmarried and under 50, he's 48. went to Vient. Dec. 2010, to the Thai embassy and got a 60 day "O" visa from them. He finally got married in Feb. so will be getting a ext. because of marriage now.
Best thing is you don't have to leave LOS. Just report to Imm every 90 days, or when you change address.
I asked Imm. Udon, as my "O" visa was nearly out of date. and had not obtained my ext. due to marriage yet. They give me a extention to stay for 30 days.The stamp they put in my passport was not a visa but a application to stay for 30 days, because of being married to a Thai. citizen. App. for ext to stay because of marriage, or marriage visa, as some people call them, must be processed in BKK. I got the app. to stay approved for 12 months, within three weeks of putting in the application.
You cannot get a visa issued in LOS. you can get a extension to stay, which has to be paid for. So Udon Imm. say. Since i applied for a 12 months extention for my "O" visa and then got permission to stay, because of marriage, all the stamps, LOS imm., have put in my P.P. not ONE have the word visa on them.
The stamp for my ext. to "O" visa was.
UDON THANI IMMIGRATION
APPLICATION TO STAY IS PERMITTED UP TO .......... .
APPLICANT MUST LEAVE THE KINGDOM WITHIN THE DATE SPECIFED HERIN OFFENDERS WILL BE PROSECUTED. their words not mine.
You cannot get a visa in LOS it must be obtained in your country of residance. Extentions you can get in LOS.
Went down to Imm last week for 90 day report. In and out within 4 mins, Had all the paperwork filled in prior to going. Must say building is very nice, and Imm very helpful.
As a lot of people said go to Imm. yourself and inquire. They are the people that can help you. You then have it from the horses mouth. They open at 0830Hrs. Closed for a hour at lunch.
Since imm. opened in Udon, at airport, and now at new offices, all info i have recieved has been correct and the officers very helpful. Providing you treat them with respect. The only bad experance i have had is at N.K. imm.. Also on one trip to N.K. imm., when i showed them the letter from B.E. proving earnings, it was in GBP's, the officer ask me what the exchange rate was. TIT.
An example of misinformation :-"

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » March 23, 2011, 6:15 pm

thanks for the info given here , i have passed this on , and hope he can use it to solve his problem..

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”