Ill treatment at Udon Immigration

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
welshwizard
udonmap.com

Post by welshwizard » November 22, 2011, 2:18 pm

I have been living in Udon for about 4 yrs and for the first 3 yrs had 1yr imm o multi entry visas.For the last year or so I have had 90 single entry multi o visa which I extend at udon immigration for 60 days.
I never had a problem until the last time I went and the girl said she would not give me an extension as my wife was not present.I pointed out that she was not giving me a new visa but extending an existing one and my wife was not present in Laos when I got the visa.She refused to give me one unless I paid her 500 bt which I had to do as my wife was away.
Yesterday(mon 21 nov) on my motorcycle I left phen I went for another 60 day extension and bad luck seen the same woman.This time she told me I could not have an extension as I am only allowed 1 per year but as she was a nice person she would give me 30 days for 2500 baht.I refused and said I would just go to laos and get another 90 day o visa.She asked me if I was stupid and why did I not listen to her that I can only have one 90 imm o visa and one extension a year and if I go to Laos they would refuse me a visa .I just took my passport back and left.
I then decided as I live in amphoe phen I would try Nong Khai imm. I get to the office in NK and spoke to the notorious police boss there who was so nice I was amazed .He told me I would have to go to udon imm .I then told him I was refused there and was told I was only allowed one visa and extension a year .He said he had never heard such rubbish and asked me if she wanted money from me .I told him last time I had to pay her 500 baht and this time she wanted 2500 for 30 day extension. He then went and got the supervisor who after being told what had happened said she was so embarrassed over what they said to me and asked me if I wanted to make a complaint about the 500 baht.I said no . She then rang the Udon imm and told me to go back and she would give me a 60 extension.
I arrived back at Udon and the bloody woman smiling told me she would give me a 60 days visa but was not supposed to as they just had a letter about the new changes .Then to my amazement she said again (in front of my wife this time)she would only give me 30 days unless I gave her 500 baht .I said no give me 60 days or I will go back to Nong Khai and make a complaint against you .She the proceeded to give me a 60 days visa but still asked me 3/4 times more for 500 baht and still told me she was right and I would not get another 90 visa this year at Laos
I left my house at 8.30 am and got home at 3.30 pm 230 kms on my motorcycle because of this 30 yr old thin woman with lots of spots who basically left me without a visa to live here and just told me lots of lies

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 22, 2011, 3:00 pm

Interesting story but please tell what the officer being skinny and having spots to do with it. Perhaps you are just being rude which might have been the problem in the first place . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » November 22, 2011, 3:09 pm

Welshwizard,you should have asked to see the supervisor at Udon immigration to query what she was saying,you know the one,the skinny bloke with stubble and crewcut type hair. :shock: 8)

Anyways I think I know which one you are talking about :-k ,will try one of the other two officers who sit at the front when I am next in there in the New Year. Thanks for posting 8)

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » November 22, 2011, 3:19 pm

Why so priggish Trubrit, perhaps the op by describing the person who he had dealings with was trying to give others in need of a professional interaction, the heads up as to the illegal actions of the officer concerned.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 22, 2011, 3:35 pm

trekkertony wrote:Why so priggish Trubrit, perhaps the op by describing the person who he had dealings with was trying to give others in need of a professional interaction, the heads up as to the illegal actions of the officer concerned.

Nothing priggish at all . If the purpose was to identify the officer I would have thought after 4 years here the poster would have been able to read her name tag, or as I remember from my last visit ,it is displayed in English on the desk in front of them .The fact she has pimples is no more relevant to the story than if the Op has boils on his R"s :-"

jacob6
udonmap.com

Post by jacob6 » November 22, 2011, 3:56 pm

Last time i was in there being gouged 300 baht for a letter of residence( which was free in Nongkai ) the younger guy did not display a name tag on his pink shirt, or have his name on his desk that i could see. Perhaps only Udon celebrities get the name tag treatment.......... just saying.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » November 22, 2011, 4:22 pm

Hi,
Been using Udon Imm. since they started. Have never had a problem with any of them, including said lady. Always very helpful and polite. Also i have never been asked for any extra money from them. Just paid what was stated on form, in my case 1,900B
Why don't you go for a retirement permission to stay, or a marriage P.to S. one, if you qualify.
Was down there at the begining of the month for my third yearly P.to S. due to being married to a Thai national. Dealt with said lady and no problems. Also no border runs required, only 90 day visits to Imm. to confirm address, costs nothing.
All Thai Con. have tighten up on issueing "O" visas, even Hull Con., which i think is good, cannot issue a yearly multi "O" visa now. This is due to some people abusing the system.
Just heard from Imm, that my P to S. has come through from BKK. so will go down tomorrow morning to pick it up. The marriage one has to be approved at BKK.
Cheers Doug.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 22, 2011, 4:56 pm

Precisely my point Douglas. There are many like you and I on this forum that have been using Udon and Nong Khai immigration offices for many years without any problems or being asked for a sweetener. The most I have ever given is a packet of biscuits to have with their coffee. Then all of a sudden we get a story like this , normally from a new poster, that is contrary to our experience, so I wonder why. In this case the Op was rather rude in his personal description of the officer and I felt that maybe she had sensed this as well and reacted accordingly. I would have given greater credence to the tale if he had named the officer or at least registered a complaint with the supervisor, after all they are the ones that could do something about it if justified, not us .I will repeat what I and others have said before. If you have the required monetary funds and correct documentation there is absolutely no reason to worry about renewing a marriage or retirement visa.Put a smile on your face hand them over and await your passport back duly endorsed for another year. :lol:
Now that's not calling the OP a liar, it may well have happened. They can be obnoxious as can we all, if they think you are pushing your luck .But its not my experience . :-"

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » November 22, 2011, 5:12 pm

Trubrit I concur with everything you have said on this subject.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 22, 2011, 5:23 pm

I've been using Udon Immigration since it opened, it's a breath of fresh air compared to Nong Khai.
Went in last Friday to do my 90 day report, with the help of the Uni girls in there doing work experience it took less than five minutes.
Never ever had any problems getting an extension for another year. Mostly it's guys on retirement 800,000 in the bank or guys on a spouse visa 400,000.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 22, 2011, 5:52 pm

douglas (edited) wrote: even Hull Con., which i think is good, cannot issue a yearly multi "O" visa now.
This is incorrect douglas.
It is still possible to get a multi entry Non Imm 'o' visa from Hull.
They do require additional 'evidence' to that previously requested.
Birmingham & Cardiff also still issue the above, but only for those married to a Thai national - with 'evidence', again.

joebloger
udonmap.com

Post by joebloger » November 22, 2011, 5:56 pm

can someone tell me what a P to S means

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » November 22, 2011, 6:10 pm

joebloger wrote:can someone tell me what a P to S means
Douglas said "Why don't you go for a retirement permission to stay, or a marriage P.to S. one, if you qualify.", so I would assume that P. to S. means permission to stay. ;)

KB

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 22, 2011, 11:41 pm

Not sure why Welshwizard would swap from a Multi-entry 'O' visa to a single entry with extensions - surely more hassle? Or is it because it avoids having to return to the home country (not sure on the rules of giving visas in Laos). But extensions are issued purely at the discretion of the immigration officer, so she could still refuse if she wants. Maybe she thinks a string of extended single-entry 90 day visas is odd as well.

Which poses the question - can i get 1 year multi-entry 'O' visas in Laos? (I thought only from home country?)

I have noticed Hull website has updated it's Visa stuff in the last 3 months (but didn't spot anything new).

welshwizard
udonmap.com

Post by welshwizard » November 23, 2011, 7:24 am

trubrit wrote:Interesting story but please tell what the officer being skinny and having spots to do with it. Perhaps you are just being rude which might have been the problem in the first place . :-"
I am never rude to anyone and nor is my wife who is the nicest person i know .I entered that office with a smile and a sawasee krup the same as i do to everyone.There were 3 girls in that office 2 young and pretty and the one that seen me .I described her how she looked to me and being angry was not too complimentary about her but only did it so when anyone went there they would know which one she is.She did not have a name tagged as both my wife and i looked.
There was only me there and everybody in the office heard what was going on but said nothing so i assumed they would not stop her and help me as she would lose face.My paperwork was in order and i follow the thai immigration rules which in nong khai they told me there are limits on tourist visas but no limits on imm o visa or extensions.
I do not understand the people who say because it has not happened to them it does not happen.I have lived in thailand for 6 yrs and this is the 1st time it has happened to me but i still understand that some people get screwed by immigration
I tried to get a 12 month marraige visa last time but i messed up and the money was 2 days short of the time to be in a thai bank.It was my fault and i accepted the fact i could not get the visa and next time i will get a 1 yr visa. Fingers crossed

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » November 23, 2011, 7:26 am

BobHelm wrote:
douglas (edited) wrote: even Hull Con., which i think is good, cannot issue a yearly multi "O" visa now.
This is incorrect douglas.
It is still possible to get a multi entry Non Imm 'o' visa from Hull.
They do require additional 'evidence' to that previously requested.
Birmingham & Cardiff also still issue the above, but only for those married to a Thai national - with 'evidence', again.
bob , can you tell us what additional evidence they need at hull to renew a multi entry non imm O visa ?

red67
udonmap.com

Post by red67 » November 23, 2011, 7:40 am

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 23, 2011, 8:06 am

A copy of your spouses ID card is new. :?

Sateev
udonmap.com

Post by Sateev » November 23, 2011, 9:12 am

welshwizard wrote: I am never rude to anyone and nor is my wife who is the nicest person i know .I entered that office with a smile and a sawasee krup the same as i do to everyone.There were 3 girls in that office 2 young and pretty and the one that seen me .I described her how she looked to me and being angry was not too complimentary about her but only did it so when anyone went there they would know which one she is.She did not have a name tagged as both my wife and i looked.
There was only me there and everybody in the office heard what was going on but said nothing so i assumed they would not stop her and help me as she would lose face.My paperwork was in order and i follow the thai immigration rules which in nong khai they told me there are limits on tourist visas but no limits on imm o visa or extensions.
I do not understand the people who say because it has not happened to them it does not happen.I have lived in thailand for 6 yrs and this is the 1st time it has happened to me but i still understand that some people get screwed by immigration
I tried to get a 12 month marraige visa last time but i messed up and the money was 2 days short of the time to be in a thai bank.It was my fault and i accepted the fact i could not get the visa and next time i will get a 1 yr visa. Fingers crossed
More than mere priggishness, it's the need to convince themselves that they are somehow superior. Don't bother trying to explain, or defend. Some of us appreciate the info, and treat is as merely another data point, among the good and bad that posters here have reported.

Hope you get it sorted.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 23, 2011, 10:41 am

trubrit wrote:Precisely my point Douglas. There are many like you and I on this forum that have been using Udon and Nong Khai immigration offices for many years without any problems or being asked for a sweetener. The most I have ever given is a packet of biscuits to have with their coffee. Then all of a sudden we get a story like this , normally from a new poster, that is contrary to our experience, so I wonder why. In this case the Op was rather rude in his personal description of the officer and I felt that maybe she had sensed this as well and reacted accordingly. I would have given greater credence to the tale if he had named the officer or at least registered a complaint with the supervisor, after all they are the ones that could do something about it if justified, not us .I will repeat what I and others have said before. If you have the required monetary funds and correct documentation there is absolutely no reason to worry about renewing a marriage or retirement visa.Put a smile on your face hand them over and await your passport back duly endorsed for another year. :lol:
Now that's not calling the OP a liar, it may well have happened. They can be obnoxious as can we all, if they think you are pushing your luck .But its not my experience . :-"
For some reason the being polite/smileing/and having the right documentation and money, does NOT seem to work at the Udon Office. There is certainly a different attitute at Udon than there was before.
At Nong Khai, I was NEVER EVER asked anything about my wife's age by any of their staff in 6 years, nor did I EVER have the fact that I was not fat mentioned to me. This was on two seperate occations, and from the OP's description, we are probably talking about the same officer. I'm sorry Val, but I suspect we are probably talking about someone with a "chip on their shoulder" and no amount of being nice or correct is going to change her.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”