Non-O by marriage extension

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 2, 2011, 9:53 am

I am considering applying next month for an extension on my 1-year Non-O (by marriage) from KL. I entered Thailand last month with 1 week remaining on the visa validity and have stamped permission to stay until 1st February. I believe the correct chronology should be to apply at Udon Immigration in early January. Some questions that I am sure the experienced members here can help with.

1) I have a yellow book but currently we are staying in a different rented property from the one listed in the yellow book. Can I still use the yellow book and associated address for the application? Do they still need photographs of us outside and inside the house to support the application? Can the residential address in the yellow book be changed?

2) If I have to use the rental property address, what do they need apart from copies of the rental agreement (in my wife's name). Anything from the landlord? We are legally married (Amphur registered) and her ID card has my family name, same as the rental agreement.

3) I won't have 400k baht in the Thai account for long enough before the application so will go with the proof of income letter from the Brit Embassy. What proof does the Brit Embassy need to provide that letter?

4) Can I apply for a re-entry permit on the CURRENT entry where the actual visa has expired but the permission to stay is still valid through end of January? This is so I can visit the UK briefly before filing for the extension.

We also have a (soon to be) 4 year old son who is charming (like me) so I reckon we should all show up as a family unit when filing. Cute luk kreung's in tow may be a bonus no?

Thanks!
tam

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » December 2, 2011, 11:01 am

tamada wrote:3) I won't have 400k baht in the Thai account for long enough before the application so will go with the proof of income letter from the Brit Embassy. What proof does the Brit Embassy need to provide that letter?
Hi Tamada
I can only answer part of your post relating to the UK Embassy letter
I have obtained 3 of these. They used to be valid for 3 years but now only 1 year.
I did it by post from Udon. I think it was about 2250 baht plus postage. Current rates are shown on the FCO website.
They do require original proof of income or pension i.e. Tax returns etc. Also a copy of you passport and proof of address in Thailand.
As far as yellow book I have the same problem as yourself. How do I change to another address?
Sorry I can't help any further although there was a previous posting which states that the 400,000 baht doesn't have to be in for 3 months. I have no idea if this is true or not. Suggest a quick visit to Udon Immigration and confirm with them.
Good luck :D

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 2, 2011, 11:45 am

Hi,
Had a marriage permission to stay for 3 years now. Thinking of going back to a retirement one next year. To much hassle for a marriage one. Don't know about yellow book, we bought or own house and bring all the details.
You need a drawing to show where you are living. I took this from Google Earth, they accepted this. They need a photo of house. Also a photo of you and wife in front of house, in living room and in bedroom. Your wife has to go with you and sign some forms. You need a Thai person, not a relative, who has known you for at least 12 months, they have to attend with you. And are require to fill in and sign some forms. You need a letter from your embassy, the British E. charge 2250B if you go there, I went there, applied at 1000Hrs and picked up letter at 1400Hours last month. if you do it by post it is 100B extra, don't know how long it will take. The application has to be approve at Imm. head office in BKK so they put a 30 day stamp in your P.P. and when app. gets back from BKK they will phone you. You do not have to have any money in a Thai bank, I don't. They state you must have an income of 40,000B per month.
Why not go to Imm. and pick up a form for a permission to stay, due to being married to a Thai National. It has all the details in it. If you read it at Imm and have any questions you can ask them.
Forgot you need two copies of everything. Also the photo of yourelf is bigger than a P.P. photo 8 by 4 i think. Tells you on form. Imm will do the copies, at a price.
Cheers Doug.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 2, 2011, 12:29 pm

Thanks chaps for your input. I did read some associated threads and the key indeed seems to drop by in person and get the 'to-do' list and ask if there's any new requirements.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2012, 7:40 pm

My Non-O extension was filed last month in Udon and the appointment to return there is next Friday. Does anyone know the current turnaround time for these since the paperwork all gets shuffled off to Bangkok?

I need to make a business trip out of the country real soon so would like some idea of how long recent applicants have waited for their official nod so I can give my client some indication of when they can expect me to visit them.

Thanks
tam

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 11, 2012, 8:24 pm

I get my stamp 4 days before the "due date" they stamped in my passport, this was one month ago. Maybe it was possible to do it even earlier but who know...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2012, 8:50 pm

You went to the Immigration office earlier than the date they stamped then?

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 11, 2012, 9:16 pm

Yes, for another reason (some paper to sale a motorbike) and the (very nice) guy insisted to do the exention at the same time even I suggested to come back on due date.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » February 11, 2012, 9:27 pm

tamada wrote:My Non-O extension was filed last month in Udon and the appointment to return there is next Friday. Does anyone know the current turnaround time for these since the paperwork all gets shuffled off to Bangkok?

I need to make a business trip out of the country real soon so would like some idea of how long recent applicants have waited for their official nod so I can give my client some indication of when they can expect me to visit them.

Thanks
tam
I believe it's usually about a month, did they not give you a return date?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 11, 2012, 10:25 pm

Yes, I have the 30-day return date stamp but last year most applicants returning on the 30-day date ended up getting another 14-day temporary extension as Bangkok had not returned the approval. Per the responses from Perra, it looks like the approvals are coming back within the 30-days which is good news as I need to head overseas really soon.

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 11, 2012, 11:34 pm

Tam, if you go there and it's not ready you can always buy a re-entry permit and go doing your business, as long as you are back before the "due date" you get stamped in your passport. This "under consideration" is equal to a normal permit-to-stay rearding re-entry

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 12, 2012, 6:32 am

i always went on the day as the immi paper said, and indeed many years ago it happened the papers where not yet back and i got 30days again..., now i am going a few days more early , last time even a week more early ,( due to my 90 day report) and the visa was all ready there, there is no harm in inquire early if the visa has arrived or not , maybe my visa arrives well more early , because i have been here the last 10years without leaving once thailand...not much changing..
the latest i have heard is that the papers to evaluate are not send to bangkok any more but gorath....
good luck .. ;)

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » February 13, 2012, 11:14 am

Hi,
Asd i have said. Been getting this P. to S. stamp for the last three years. They put a months stamp in your P.P. and i have always got a phone call, from Imm. to go back tn less than two weeks, to get the twelve months P.to S. stamp.
Last Nov. To apply for P.to S. due to marriage took about 25 mins, this included the Thai. friend, who had to fill in a forms, the wifes forms and my forms. After 11 days got a phone call from Imm. saying my P. to S. had been accepted by head office and to come down to get P.P. stamped. This took less than 4 mins. in Imm. Go to Imm. early, before 0830Hrs. Not many people there then and turn around is quicker.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 15, 2012, 6:28 pm

Thanks for the recent posts. They have my number but nobody has called but I will be there at the crack of dawn this Friday to see what gives.

Also handy to know that a re-entry permit can still be issued while on the 'wait-list'. I mistakenly thought along the lines of a US Green Card application that mandated you stay in the US until the petition was processed as leaving anulled the whole enchilada.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 17, 2012, 10:53 am

OK, in at 8.30 and extension was approved and stamped in the passport. Then applied for a multiple re-entry which was also stamped in the passport. All done by 9am. Great stuff! Off to KL manana.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » February 17, 2012, 3:33 pm

Hi,
Great to see you got sorted out. Hope you injoy your trip.
Cheers Doug.

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » February 23, 2012, 12:23 pm

Got my 5th non o extension yesterday. served promptly with a very pleasant man, God! how there attitude has improved and more efficient as well. only one s,all problem s I had the Letter from the Bank dated yesterday but my pass book update was 2 weeks old, went down & got a new letter dated yesterday and deposited a few hundred baht so the bank book updated with the new amount and yesterdays date. No problem.

A big commendation to Immigration for their attitude and helpfulness, as usual a small gratuity is appreciated, not my usual style, but this guy went out of his way for speed and service.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 23, 2012, 1:11 pm

Yes Udon Immigration is friendly. Light years ahead of Nong Khai.
Just my stamp this morning for another year, all done in five minutes.
Used to be an ordeal, going to Nong Khai.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 28, 2012, 3:52 pm

Notification of another turn of the screw for marriage visa applicants, although it shouldn't worry those legitimate applications .As well as requiring a witness to attend, plus those intimate photos around the house to prove your married, now ALL applicants, In Udon area anyway, will be vetted further by a personal visit and interview with the immediate neighbours, who must sign an affadavit testifying you are living together. This will take place before your extension application is forwarded for further consideration to Khon Kaen .Apparently Udon has been selected because it is suspected that many are simply marriages of convenience in this area .I do not know what , if any, other towns will be subjected to this .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » May 29, 2012, 7:12 am

This investigation and visiting the neighbors is nothing new. It's been happening for at least year now in the Udon area. Maybe the past year was a trial/test period and they have now made it a permanent feature.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”