Non-O by marriage extension

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 29, 2012, 9:08 am

fdimike wrote:This investigation and visiting the neighbors is nothing new. It's been happening for at least year now in the Udon area. Maybe the past year was a trial/test period and they have now made it a permanent feature.
Before it occurred randomly, possibly on suspect cases. The point I was making is , the officer indicated all applications would be subjected to it now , with the possible exception of those that have kids together . Don't ask me why. Guess they feel that having kids gives the marriage a sort of legitamacy. :-"

Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » May 30, 2012, 1:53 pm

Hi,
Over the past 3 years, when i have been on a P.to Stay due to being married to a Thai National. I have been told to expect a call from the Thai. Imm. Police, at my house, in Udon. So far i have not had a Imm Off. call on me. My next app. for a P.to Stay is Nov 8. Will check then. I have had no kids by my Thai wife.
As i have said before, i think i will go for a P. to Stay due to retirement, less hassle. Only need a letter from my Embassy stating my pensions, no witness, photos of house, etc., which are now above the 800.000B. required. I could never understand why they state you require an income of 400,000B for P.to S. due to marriage. All my one's had to be 40,000B a month , ie 480,000B per year. TIT.
I have never kept money in a Thai bank and never will. A marriage P. to Stay states you must have a "income" of at least 40,000B a month, verified by your embassy.
Don't foget you will need to fill in a form at Imm. if you are leaving LOS with this type of P. to S.. This cost 1000B at Imm. and will enable your P. to S., to stay in force, when you return, please check at imm. when you return to LOS and make sure they put the right stamp in you P.P. They will not change the stamp once you have left the Imm desk. Happened to me a few years ago. Did not check my P.P. till i got to Udon, my fault. And a load of hassle.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 30, 2012, 2:04 pm

douglas wrote:Hi,
A marriage P. to Stay states you must have a "income" of at least 40,000B a month, verified by your embassy.
or TBH400,000 in a Thai bank for the previous 2 months.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » May 30, 2012, 3:03 pm

As i have said before, i think i will go for a P. to Stay due to retirement, less hassle. Only need a letter from my Embassy stating my pensions, no witness, photos of house, etc., which are now above the 800.000B. required. I could never understand why they state you require an income of 400,000B for P.to S. due to marriage. All my one's had to be 40,000B a month , ie 480,000B per year. TIT.
I have never kept money in a Thai bank and never will. A marriage P. to Stay states you must have a "income" of at least 40,000B a month, verified by your embassy.
Whilst undoubtly a retirement visa is less hassle for us and immigration there is an important difference between that and a marriage. My income letter shows enough for retirement and every year when I ask for a marriage one they try to get me on retirement, it's almost a battle. What they don't seem to understand, no work , not even voluntarily, is permitted with a retirement O, but a marriage visa permits you to have a work permit or a deferment certificate if you are involved with an officially recognised organisation such as a government dept .So I am stuck with the marriage one. There is no problem providing all your documents are in order but every year it gets more complicated. This year for example the interview process took two hours compared to one previously .TIT
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 30, 2012, 3:20 pm

Sounds ominous,2 hours TB,am off to Immigration next week after the monday holiday? Why so long,this will be my third year with the same friend that knows us and maybe same immigration lady sitting on the left.Last time she typed everything into her computer so she would only need to update how many years our friend knows us by one and submit to Korat for signing off. :roll:

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 31, 2012, 7:27 am

no pompui,
i have done all ready 10 extensions based on marriage and even they most know us , every year same cross examination and filling in and signing some forms, and indeed typing everything in the computer for what ever reason, surely not to use next year...because every year still same procedure...good luck next week... ;)

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 31, 2012, 7:34 am

Thanks for that,will take a good book to read to pass the 2 hour time :roll: ,must get there early otherwise the 2 hours could technically go into their lunchbreak at midday and would hate to be told to wait till they return from their lovely meal to complete after 1pm. :D

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » May 31, 2012, 5:36 pm

Hi,
Jack. For the last 3 years when i have got my Permission to stay stamp, due to being married to a Thai National i was told i must have an "income" of at least 40,000B a month. It does not mention monies in a bank etc. They would not take this, when i asked. Also when last year, Nov., i showed them my tax returns from my home country, of an income over 17,000GBP per year, in pensions, well in excess of what was required, they required a letter from my Embassy.
I got this information from Udon Thai Imm.. For a marriage P. to Stay, you must have an "income", ie pensions, in my case, which ammout to at least 40,000B a month and not money in a Thai bank. Which they would not except. They stated that money in a bank will only be excepted for a P. to S. due to retirement, in my case. I showed Imm. my letter from my goverments tax office, of my income. They refused this and asked for a letter fron the British Embassy. Which i had. TIT. One time they even asked me the exchage rate, as B.E. states amount in GBP's. Help.
Besides this, it is a lot of hassle to get. This is why i will go for a retirement P. to S. later this year. If the pound does not fall anymore. I have found that Udon Imm. will try and get you to get a retirement P. to S. rather than a marriage one. This is because it is done in house, so to speak.Where a marriage one has to be approved at the head office, and cannot be approved in Udon, that is why it takes so long. Myself being over 70 do not want to work, done plenty of that in my lifetime. Was asked by a teacher once, will i come and work in her school. Did not even ask the wages, just said no thank you. I used to teach electronics and electricial prin. up to Uni. level.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 31, 2012, 6:30 pm

Jack. For the last 3 years when i have got my Permission to stay stamp, due to being married to a Thai National i was told i must have an "income" of at least 40,000B a month. It does not mention monies in a bank etc. They would not take this, when i asked.
You always seem to get the wrong end of the stick from Immigration, douglas.

If confirmation of my earlier post is required, you could always google "Thailand Police Order 777/2551", and then look at section 2.18. I would post it here, but UM does not allow .pdf attachments.

I also quote this earlier post on UM, as a real live example:
Re: New Married Visa - Udon Thani

Postby fatbas***d » March 3, 2010, 5:38 am
Got my 12 month marriage ext today at Udon Imm

These seem to be the current requirements at Udon Imm.

TM7 filled out with Photo 2 originals

Tabian Ban, wife and children Original & two copies.

Birth certificates Children Original & two copies.

ID wife Original & two copies.

Marriage certificate Original & two copies.
Mine was OS and in English but that wasn't a problem.

6x4 Photos of family outside house and inside, bedroom and lounge. 4 photos.

Bank book and current letter from bank confirming balance & showing Min of 400k quarantined for 2 months, over seas sourced. Bank book in yr own name.................

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/n ... 16009.html

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 7, 2012, 12:30 pm

Popped in today,45 mins for all the paperwork,just to add the extra bits of info re fatbastard's post from 2010,map from immigration to your home,your local friend with their house papers and ID and a NEW requirement this year,sight of original Marriage Registration/Memorandum and 2 copies.Always just been the Marriage certficate but maybe a few false ones out there in circulation,the added paperwork substantiates the certificate. :roll:
Same immigration lady on the left,same 90 day immigration officer to the far left,everyone else seems new there.She advised the TW that yesterday she was the only officer working,just one more here today and already a big queue of farangs when I left at 9.30am.
So be prepared this week for a few delays,she says the male officers have been moved temprarily to Bangkok,not sure when they are due back. 8)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 4, 2012, 10:43 am

pompui wrote:......... and a NEW requirement this year,sight of original Marriage Registration/Memorandum and 2 copies.Always just been the Marriage certficate but maybe a few false ones out there in circulation,the added paperwork substantiates the certificate.
My neighbour went to Immigration the other day for a visa extension based on marriage, but was sent back to the Amphur to obtain further information. Looking back at this topic, it seems it’s what Pompui was referring to i.e. Immigration don’t trust the marriage certificate and/or want to check the applicant is STILL married.

A few questions.

Is this request for extra information official, happening 100%, or just on the whim of any one Immigration Officer? – the latter, presumably, if he/she is having a bad day, has cause to think other paperwork doubtful. Perhaps the ‘requirement’ is waived if …. well, you know.

Has the “what the applicant needs to provide list” been updated? – saving everyone’s time, return journeys etc. Sensible applicants try to keep updated with all that’s required and it’s a pain when any new requirement isn’t advertised.

Just what extra does Immigration need? Does the Immigration Office give you a form, which the Amphur needs to complete? In my neighbour’s case, no, the requirements were explained to TW and I’ve seen what appears to be a specially written, quite comprehensive letter from the Amphur, with the need for witness confirmation too.

I suppose this is an example of more red tape because Thailand is the country it is. I recall having my new UK passport queried as to it being genuine. Immigration wanted the Embassy receipt, which I’d disposed of. I had to obtain a letter from Bangkok confirming they’d issued me with a new passport. It occurred to me then that, if I was able to get a forged, quite sophisticated document like a passport, I could certainly obtain a fake letter! Oh well.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » September 4, 2012, 11:48 am

When you get married here, you should get a copy of the notes that go with the marriage cert.
On the notes is the number of the marriage certificate, witness details, addresses that can be checked. All stamped with the amphur office red stamp.
Looks like thats what the Immigration Police want to see the notes by the sound of it.
If you don't have then the letter from your local amphur office.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 4, 2012, 1:05 pm

Prenders88 wrote:When you get married here, you should get a copy of the notes that go with the marriage cert.
On the notes is the number of the marriage certificate, witness details, addresses that can be checked. All stamped with the amphur office red stamp.
Looks like thats what the Immigration Police want to see the notes by the sound of it.
If you don't have then the letter from your local amphur office.

Correct Prenders,luckily for me only one more year of this nonsense paperwork re marriage and onto a simple retirement visa 8)

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » September 4, 2012, 1:43 pm

The documents for a marriage visa are onerous. The file is apparently then submitted to Bangkok for approval, to make sure "all the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted", it does not seem to be the whim of any particular officer.

Even the immigration officer recommends switching to retirement visa if one qualifies, easier to apply, as well as to process.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » September 4, 2012, 3:46 pm

Thank you Prenders and Pompui.
A closer look at the document the neighbour gave me, with help from TW, shows indeed it is the backup document, written at the time of marriage. The Amphur dated it/rubber stamped it the other week when he was referred there by Immigration - neither he or myself were given this additional paper at the times of our marriages, only the actual marriage certificate.
At least I can now be prepared, if Immigration ask for it, when I go for my extension renewal.

I'm still interested to know if Immigration is requesting this additional document for EVERY extension based on marriage and if it's been added to the list of requirements.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » September 4, 2012, 6:14 pm

Brian Davis wrote: I'm still interested to know if Immigration is requesting this additional document for EVERY extension based on marriage and if it's been added to the list of requirements.
After 6 marriage extensions they never asked for it,just recently on my 7th extension done in June this year.Cannot think of anything else I have to copy regarding my marriage.It all started with the photos at your home to weed out the scam marriages,then map then a local friend to verify both of you then a supposed local visit by immigration to your neighbours.Maybe I should take my wedding photos along showing the party in my TW village all those years ago :D

Make sure you take the original and at least 2 copies of it,front and back. 8)

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » September 4, 2012, 8:48 pm

What is needed to extend a marriage visa.
Original Copies
1. Application form 2
2. Passport front page 1 2
3. Original visa 1 2
4. Entry card 1 2
5. All extensions (x 5) 5 10
6. Map to house 2
7. Wife’s ID card 1 2
8. Wife’s Family Book 1 2
9. Marriage certificate 1 2
10. Bank letter showing deposits 1 2 (200B)
11. Letter from Bank showing total balance 1 2 (200B)
12. Pension paper from Embassy 1 2
13. Passport style mugshots for application 2
14. Photo of you and wife outside house 2
15. Photo of you and wife in living room 2
16. Photo of you and wife in bedroom 2
17. Child’s birth certificate 1 2
18. Two more mugshots for investigations 2
19. 1,900 baht 6

Witnesses (x 2)
1 ID card 1 2
2 Family Book 1 2

25 46 = 71

Down from more than a hundred a few years ago all for a one-year extension. :|

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 4, 2012, 10:04 pm

Can I take it when you apply on the grounds of cash in the bank I can ignore items 10 and 12 and supply the letter from the bank 11 and copies of my bank book pages....?

This is what I was told by a young girlie last month, does this still hold water or should I go visit them again before I apply for a marriage extension...

Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » September 4, 2012, 11:03 pm

I am told both bank letters and proof of pension are required irrespective of which method (monthly deposits or lump sum maintained) are used.

I once had more than 2 million in my Thai bank and was sent to Embassy in Bangkok to get proof of pension on a 7-day permission to stay extension. :?

Of course this all may vary depending on which day of the week it is, whether the wind is blowing outside or if the moon is in a waxing gibbous or waning crescent phase.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 5, 2012, 7:33 am

What if you're not pensionable age or take any employment pension and your income doesn't quite reach the required 40k pm, hense the reason for applying on the money in the bank grounds?
The document I was given by Immigration outlining what I need to present clearly states, either 40k pm employment or pension with proof OR 400k in the bank for 2 months, has this changed?

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”