Non-O by marriage extension

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Panty Hamster
udonmap.com

Post by Panty Hamster » September 5, 2012, 11:37 am

Chriss wrote:The document I was given by Immigration outlining what I need to present ...
That doesn't matter much when the immigration officer demands otherwise and gives you seven days to produce (frivolous) documents. Try pointing out the checklist requirements to the uniformed officer across the table and you've just insulted him/her. Bad idea. Besides, the checklist is circa 1997.

You could always leave and come back the next day, hoping for improved results with the same documents. Odds are good the rules will be different. In six years, I've never had the same documents required. Some years they want copies of every page in your bank passbook, other years a printout from the bank of all deposits and withdrawals, other years a simple listing of deposits only. Got a new bankbook or passport since your last visa renewal? Copies of old and new will be required, bumping the number of papers required up near the century mark. It's not much different than a police traffic stop. No matter what you have, it's insufficient.

Of course this means multiple trips back and forth to immigration. And they don't want to talk to your witnesses (x2) until all the paperwork is complete. So you can gather your witnesses and their 12 documents (2 ID cards, 4 copies; 2 housebooks, 4 copies) and take them with you on your first attempt (bad idea) or wait until your paperwork is complete and take the witnesses on your third trip (maybe fourth). And make sure the witness lives in a (ill-defined) radius from your home. More than a few kilometers and they'll be rejected -- even if the witness has known you for a decade and your wife for a lifetime.

Despite being married for 11 years, living in the same house with the same neighbors, having the same bank account and the same pension for five years, it's an Inquisition every time.

1. They're petrified I'm working -- I am not.
2. They're irritated I have/had a qualifying pension at 42.
3. They think my marriage is a sham.
4. They simply don't want foreigners under 50 living here.

Take your pick.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 10, 2012, 9:12 am

i have a friend in gorath whom this week renewed his marriage extension.....no witness needed what so ever , so up to this year all ready he never needed any witness , it is a probably a local invention because in gorath and even bangkok witness not needed... ;)

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » September 10, 2012, 4:53 pm

4. They simply don't want foreigners under 50 living here
They dont want ANY of us here even old ens! But have to let us stay or lose face with the world

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 10, 2012, 6:14 pm

Just got the marriage extension today at Udonthani Immigration. Had my wifes mothers id card and her house book, we live there, my wifes id card our marriage license, and my passport, and a picture which I had already. Done in about fifteen minutes period.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 10, 2012, 6:34 pm

O and I'm under fifty....

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 11, 2012, 6:53 am

newtovillagelife wrote:O and I'm under fifty....
Is this your first extension or renewal?

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » September 11, 2012, 9:20 am

No my second you are allowed one per year, I also did the same thing last year with same documents.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » December 19, 2012, 6:10 pm

Panty Hamster wrote:You could always leave and come back the next day, hoping for improved results with the same documents. Odds are good the rules will be different. In six years, I've never had the same documents required. Some years they want copies of every page in your bank passbook, other years a printout from the bank of all deposits and withdrawals, other years a simple listing of deposits only. Got a new bankbook or passport since your last visa renewal? Copies of old and new will be required, bumping the number of papers required up near the century mark. It's not much different than a police traffic stop. No matter what you have, it's insufficient.
Went there today for the second time after being there last week to check all requirements. Took all paperwork with me, plus extras, including yellow house book. My wife (government official) and village leader accompanied me.

Usually in this kind of situations we are well prepared and usually things go very smoothly. ...not today.
They kept on asking for extra requirements untill they asked for something we couldn't produce.

A couple of requirements seem to be new (which were not mentioned by them last week):

1. The photo of you and your wife in front of the house. The house/address number has to be clearly visible in the photo, otherwise it won't be accepted.
2. A statement letter of the bank is not enough. You also have to produce a guarantee letter from your bank.
3. A Proof of fixed account with bankbook, plus today's statement from the bank is not enough. Your bankbook (of the fixed account) has to be updated, although you have a bank statement written today that the fixed account is still the fixed account . Somehow you have to produce an updated (how can it be updated if it the account is fixed?) bankbook.

Extras they asked for:
4. If you were ever devorced, bring the devorce papers with you.
5. If your wife has ever changed her name, bring the proof of name change with you.

However... if ypu bring your entire administration with you it probably won't be enough, or they might think of some other detail in order to send you back home again.

Wrong day, wrong time, wrong officers, wind blew from the wrong direction?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 19, 2012, 7:26 pm

on marriage certificates and marriage information.. This week in getting our marriage certificate (rather old) sorted out the Amphoe Muang office downtown advised us that it wasn't in their computer system. On their advice we visited the Amphoe where we were married and the officers there certified the original marrage certificate and entered into the government computer system all costing us 40 Baht and the 40km trip. It now can be seen at the office downtown (it is the complete document to include my name and current passport number). The office downtown indicated the documents entered constitute official documents so I'd wonder if you could go by the main office downtown to get the certified in-full marriage documents if you need them..
Dave

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » December 20, 2012, 7:31 am

Maybe tea money would have helped

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 20, 2012, 11:24 am

Have been on a retirement extension for 11 years and yesterday went to immigration Udon to try to get an extension based on marriage. We got the same run around, I had everything except a (ค ร 2) cert which is now another requirement.
How many of you guys out there know what this form is about? We have been married about 15.5 years and have never heard of it. Apparently as we were married in Bangkok we would have to go to the Amper in Bangkok where we were married to get this Cert. I’ve since spoken to a good few guys whom know nothing of this Cert.
I think the immigration in Udon just don’t want to issue extensions based on marriage, possibly it’s too much work for them. It’s just all getting a bit ridiculous.

udonmap.com

Post by 23696335 » December 20, 2012, 12:09 pm

Went to renew my marriage visa at Nongkhai because now live near there, before did at Udon and only had a few problems.What a pain,had the runaround to different offices to get things which never had to produce before.Got my 1 month extension before going back to get my yearly stamp. 9am this morning phone rang now want another picture of the whole house even though they already have 3 pictures,another photo of me( have 3 already) now want somebody who lives nearby to come with us and verify i live there, Whats going on? i reckon they dont want any farangs living in Thailand and are making it near impossible to satisfy all the criteria required. Anyway back at 10am tomorrow see what else the want????

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » December 20, 2012, 12:39 pm

Do you guys having problems extending your visas know that if you are married to a Thai it is possible to get a Multi Entry Non Immigrant O Visa at both Kuala Lumpur and Savannakhet,at present ?
Two photos plus originals and copies of application form,passport,marriage certificate,wifes id card,tabien baan plus bank statement with a minimum deposit in a Thai Bank of 100k baht.
I believe the 100k deposit is only a requirement at Kuala Lumpur and not Savannakhet but best to check before you go.

So no need to worry about the whims of Udon and Nong Khai Immigration.Treat yourselves to a few days break in Kuala Lumpur but remember to take the wife with you and not the mia noi ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 20, 2012, 6:08 pm

In July this year the UK Government changed all the UK visa requirements - loads more documentation and financial confirmation etc. Especially this requirement of photos and confirmation from a third party etc. Perhaps a senior Thai official's family were unable to get a visa and this is retaliation on all falangs? Stranger things have happened.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » December 20, 2012, 6:30 pm

Sometime ago I think someone had posted or I read some where, the reason is a crack down on bogus marriages. True or not no idea, but it's not effecting extensions based on retirement, fact is it's become a little easier.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 20, 2012, 6:44 pm

"Sometime ago I think someone had posted or I read some where, the reason is a crack down on bogus marriages. "

Years ago, there was no need to show money in the bank for 3 months prior to renewing. I knew a few guys who borrowed money a few days before going to immigration and paid the money back after getting their renewal. I'd guess immigration caught wind of this and changed the rules. It usually works that way.
Same scams pulled at US Embassy when Thais apply for tourist visas with loaded bankbooks......but the money isn't theirs.
Most people blame Immigration for changing the rules.......when they just might be trying to keep up with people trying to skirt them.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » December 21, 2012, 7:58 am

Wee Jimmy wrote: We got the same run around, I had everything except a (ค ร 2) cert which is now another requirement. How many of you guys out there know what this form is about? them.
Similar to yourself, a friend of mine was presented with this extra requirement a while ago. Posters on another thread were able to explain what it was and I've now got my own, in case Immigration ask me next time. Like yourself, I've been here quite a few years.

You'll find it's an additional black/white paper which SHOULD be issued to you with the coloured marriage certificate - you MAY already have it, without realising. It shows 'back-up' information to the marriage e.g. parents' names and the like. My local Amphur had failed to issue one to me, but in going back with my marriage cert., they quickly issued a copy from files, or the computer record. 20 baht, if I recall.

If you don't have it, then I guess it's the expense of returning to Bangkok. Although, if your wife is not typically a Thai who rolls over in dealing with 'Authority', then perhaps you might be able to sort out getting a copy sent to you over the 'phone.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 21, 2012, 2:15 pm

Brian,
Thanks for this info. We have the coloured paper plus a black & white paper which is numbered ค ร 3 not ค ร 2 as the immigration requested. I've done a Google for this paper and can't find it.
In Udon immigration we were told that we would have to go to Bangkok in person for this Cert
According to someone who has worked with the immigration and is looking into this it's a paper where a couple agree on the percentage of the assets which would be shared in the event of a divorce. I don't know why, as form what I've heard the Thai always wins, maybe before I'm picked up on this I should say nearly always wins.
Anyway I’ve gone for the retirement extension now as the marriage is too much of a problem for Udon Immigration.
I never had a problem in Nong Khai, even had the bank book in joint names for the retirement extension.
In Udon I feel like they trying let us know they are not wanting applications for a marriage extension.
Has anyone got a copy of this ค ร 2 that they could add to this thread or even PM me with a copy?
Wee Jimmy.

udonmap.com

Post by 23696335 » December 21, 2012, 2:54 pm

Further to my previous post at NK immigration. I arrived with the new photo standing outside the house and a friend of the wifes with her id card /house book and the 2 copies for further confirmation of living there. On arrival we were sent outside to a small office with the words Investigation / Supression on the door. WHATS THAT ALL ABOUT!!! anyway my wife and i were sent outside whilst the friend was questioned. Shortly after my wife was called back in and was told they needed another person as well to testify as to my living arrangements. To cut a long story short we travelled home and found a willing friend to come back with us plus all documents. I could understand it if this was my first application for a 1 year visa but no this is the 5th time. Just dont no what is happening they change the goalposts everytime you go.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » December 21, 2012, 7:21 pm

Wee Jimmy wrote:Have been on a retirement extension for 11 years and yesterday went to immigration Udon to try to get an extension based on marriage. We got the same run around, I had everything except a (ค ร 2) cert which is now another requirement.
How many of you guys out there know what this form is about? We have been married about 15.5 years and have never heard of it. Apparently as we were married in Bangkok we would have to go to the Amper in Bangkok where we were married to get this Cert. I’ve since spoken to a good few guys whom know nothing of this Cert.
I think the immigration in Udon just don’t want to issue extensions based on marriage, possibly it’s too much work for them. It’s just all getting a bit ridiculous.
At the mariage registration you get two documents nr.2 and nr 3. I had them both with me, plus copies. Nothing wrong with them, the documents have all the legalisation stamps from Thai and Dutch governments. My marriage is registred in Holland as well. So I can show immigration all official and legalised Dutch marriage documents as well. No, they want devorce papers from a previous devorce (decades ago) which are completely irrelevant.

The worst thing is that my wife is a teacher at a small government school, where they don't have replacement teachers. So, every time she has to go with me to immigration, her students are sent home, because there is no teacher.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”