1-year Renewal using Fixed Account - New Rule?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Muni
udonmap.com

1-year Renewal using Fixed Account - New Rule?

Post by Muni » June 6, 2012, 3:17 pm

Today I went to renew my 1-year extension. For the last few years I've used money in an annual Fixed account without any problem. The lady checked my updated bank book & letter. She didn't understand exactly when the money was deposited. I showed her it was rolled over in Feb., well over 3 months. "But neither the letter nor the bankbook indicates the amount, month by month". Huh? It's a 1-year account but both ladies agreed it was not acceptable. OK, I smile, & calmly ask to speak with the boss.

A thin lady came out from the back. She was very pleasant but explained this is the NEW RULE. In my very best Thai I explained I didn't know about this new rule. I had done as I always had & that the bank book clearly shows more than enough money, etc. Then I asked very politely if she couldn't help me just this once & I would be sure to have it correct next year. She checked everything once again & told the other lady okay.

Conclusion, all in all everyone was pleasant, lots of copies, no charge. MOST IMPORTANTLY, if you are using a Fixed account, make sure either the bank letter or passbook shows the amount, month by month: i.e. Feb. 800,000THB, March 800,000THB, etc. etc. Plus don't forget to stay calm and smile

BobHelm
udonmap.com

!-year renewal using Fixed Account - NEW RULE

Post by BobHelm » June 6, 2012, 3:52 pm

Muni, which Immigration Office was this??

Muni
udonmap.com

Post by Muni » June 6, 2012, 3:56 pm

Udon office

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 6, 2012, 4:09 pm

This is now the THIRD YEAR that this "New Rule" has been in operation

Muni
udonmap.com

Post by Muni » June 6, 2012, 4:20 pm

For Fixed Accounts? Regular accounts must show activity but no one ever asked me for this before with a Fixed Account...

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 6, 2012, 4:36 pm

Thank you for the info! What sort of interest are you getting on the term deposit? My 800K in an normal account earns me about 3K per annum 55555+

Edit: BTW I do deplete it but haven't had less that 500K in 3 years.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Muni
udonmap.com

Post by Muni » June 6, 2012, 5:06 pm

I use TMB Bank. They have FIXED & NON-FIXED accounts. The rates change so check the website. It was 3.75% for 1-year FIXED (flat interest paid in full in 7 days). The Non-Fixed account pays less but way more than a standard account. It allows 2 withdrawals per month (again, best to check the website )
http://www.tmbbank.com/personal/deposit

You won't get rich but personally I like to not have to worry about my annual visa money

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 6, 2012, 7:59 pm

There have been reports over the years that immigration won't accept fixed accounts......but many people have used fixed accounts without incident. I don't see anything reported on the issue on thaivisa.......so I'll hope that maybe the issue wasn't so much the fixed account as it was the bank letter.
Thanks for the heads up, Muni!

Muni
udonmap.com

Post by Muni » June 6, 2012, 8:48 pm

No problem with the Fixed account. I was told either the letter or the passbook must now show a monthly balance. I explained that the passbook update only indicates activity (interest, withdrawal, etc.) so she said to have the bank letter list each month with the balance.

Other than for that "hurdle", it was as pleasant(?) as a trip to Immigration can be.

Geoffrey
udonmap.com

Bank Statement

Post by Geoffrey » July 3, 2012, 4:29 am

I used my fixed account this year. My letter had to show monthly balances for the past few months. They actually wanted to see some activity - an additional deposit. They seemed to feel that it would verify the ammount. This is problematic because depositing additonal funds in a fixed account actually opens a new account on a different page not changing the total of the original account. They'd really like a monthly bank statement but Thai banks don't issue these especially not for a fixed account. I let my bank (Kasikorn) talk to immigration. The bank was able to generate a computer printout that showed the balance on that day. It was some small report that they could actually issue from their computer system. This was in addition to the letter.
Holy Harp

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”