Options please....

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Greg Ledder » January 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Hi everyone and happy New Year to one and all!! :D

I am currently in Thailand on a multiple entry tourist visa which expires in april 2013. Just done my first visa run to Laos - cocked it up as I arrived two days late so had to pay 1000thb overstay fine - my own fault so I'm not complaining - lesson learned!

My lady and I hope to be married soon - february if all goes to plan.

Is it possible to change my visa in Thailand once married so that I don't have to leave the country? I am 52 years old - not retired yet but from what I've gleaned from various posts it may be advisable to get a retirement visa as opposed to a marriage visa (as it's less hassle all round?) and the rules/ requirements seem to vary from district to district - is this the case and can it be done without exiting Thailand?

Any advice re available options will be gratefully received!!

Regards,

Greg. :D

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by merchant seaman » January 3, 2013, 10:48 am

After getting married you will need to go to Laos and get a non "o" visa which then will allow you to apply for a retirement visa at immigrations in Udon

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by jackspratt » January 3, 2013, 11:05 am

As MS says, the easiest way would be to get an O visa (based on retirement or marriage - up to you) from the Thai Embassy in Vientiane.

You can then apply for a 12 month visa extension (not visa) based on retirement or marriage from Udon Immigration, provided you meet the respective conditions.

Paladin
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Paladin » January 3, 2013, 11:19 am

Paper work required for a non 'O' visa married to a Thai National is as follows;

Fill in the application Form + 2 photos 3.5 x 4.5 c.m
Copy of Marriage Certificate,
Copy of her House Book,
Copy of her I.D. Card,
Copies of your Passport, and of your outward Stamp in Passport on leaving Thailand,
Copies of your inward stamp on arrival in Laos and Laos Visa in your Passport, which is available on arrival at the Laos Border.
All copies must be signed
I have spare copies for the paper work if you would like. Just P.M. me and leave your Phone Number

papaguido
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by papaguido » January 3, 2013, 11:28 am

As stated previously, you'll require a Non Immigrant "O" visa (3mos). After that you may apply for a 12 month extension based on Marriage or Retirement. An extension based on marriage is more complicated than retirement. Retirement requires less documentation. You don't have to prove you're retired to immigration, only meet the age and financial requirements. You'll need proof of income annual 800,000bt or monthly 65,000bt in the form of a notarized affidavit from your embassy. For marriage it's 400,000 annual or 40,000bt monthly income.

Current immigration policy...List of supporting documents & Criteria & Conditions (para 2.18 for marriage and 2.22 for retirement.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/do ... 551_en.pdf

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/do ... 551_en.pdf

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by jackspratt » January 3, 2013, 11:33 am

The other way would be to convert your tourist visa to an O visa within Thailand.

However, I did not suggest this as from all reports Udon Immigration either will not do, or are reluctant to do, a conversion - at least without the payment of hefty tea money.

This would mean a trip to Immigration in Bangkok - and Vientiane for an O visa seems a lot closer and simpler.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by RLTrader » January 3, 2013, 3:08 pm

Remember if you do a run just before visa expires in April, you get another 90 days which will take you to July. Added plus is all the duty free shopping. I also think it is easier and cheaper to do conversion in Bangkok, plus BKK to me is a lot easier to get to than Vientiane.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by newtovillagelife » January 3, 2013, 3:55 pm

RL could you please give more details as to what is involved and the costs in BKK

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Greg Ledder » January 3, 2013, 4:36 pm

Many thanks for the valuable advice - the good news is that there areoptions!! :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by papaguido » January 3, 2013, 5:37 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:RL could you please give more details as to what is involved and the costs in BKK
A forum member went through the process of converting his tourist visa a few years ago...more here:
randerson79 wrote:Just an update on my quest for a "retirement visa"....

I spent the night in Bangkok Sunday the 21st. I had searched the internet for the answers and everyone has answers. Very few were correct! :shock: I down loaded many forms lots and lots of forms. Filled them all out and was ready for anything. I got out of bed Monday morning early.

07:20 Arrived at USA Embassey:
Big long line! I stand in the line thinking this going to take all day! Sweet little lady walks up to me and askes me "where you come from". I'm thinking this is a great time for a pick-up line. What next she going to ask me next? where I go tonight? I say the USA. The next thing she says "Sir you are in the wrong line American Citizen services are over there". :oops: Walk right in. I was the 2nd person to take a number. Nice man takes my forms. Income affidavit, drivers license affidavit and new pages for my passport. He informed it thake about an hour for my new pages. Wait about 30 minutes. I get called back to the counter. The nice young man asks me if my affidavits were true and correct. Has me sign them and a stamp and I'm on my way.

08:30 enroute to Bangkok Immigration
09:30 Arrived at Immigration
Walked straight to the number counter no wait. Smiling Lady asked what I wanted. I tell her I just turned 50 and would like a retirement visa. She smiled asked "sure you 50 you not look 50". Check my visa and paper work. She informed me it takes 10 days to process a retirement visa. And I only had 4 days left on my tourist visa. She gave me a number and sent me to the visa extension department with a form TM.7. Called my number. Talked with another nice Lady. She took my passport and 1900 baht asked a couple questions and sent me back to wait. Recalled my number took my photo. Easy as pie a 30 day extension! Finished.

10:30 Back at number counter.
Same lady gives me a number for the Change of Visa Department. Waited about 20 minutes and my number was called. Sat at a desk of a young grumpy man. No smile. No eye contact. But If you had seen what had just left his office you would be grumpy too! If you have ever watched Austin Powers and remember the "Fat Bastard". :-& This was his twin brother! Come on guys, is it that had to take a shower, shave, put on some deoderant, comb you hair and put on some clean clothes? And his attitude was as nasty as his looks. Anyway back to my visa. The man looks at my passport. I give him my application for change of visa form TM.86 with photo attached, income affidavit form and copys of my passport. Asks from 2000 baht. He then studies my copies for awhile. I had copied them before my 30 extension. He wanted copies with the extension. He told me to go down stairs and get new copies. I told him I would be fast. He smiled and said take your time no problem. Came back from the copy shop, winded and out of breath. The young man smiled took my new copy. Handed me my passport and a receipt with a return date of Dec 3. Told me there would be no problem. He also asked why I came to Bangkok to get my visa and that all Immigration points can do this.

11:30 enroute to Hotel!!

I go back Dec 3 for my stamp. I enjoy going to Bangkok so it is no problem for me. Barring any problem, not a hard process. I think Stan hit it spot on. Thanks!! \:D/

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by kjellsnell » January 3, 2013, 7:15 pm

It can be done in Udon as well but...the transfers coasts a haevy fee....i make it in august last year!
These days life seems pretty good and I eagerly look forward to the continuation!

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Philrjones » January 4, 2013, 7:46 am

Hi,

I'm on a non-immigration 'O' visa for marriage.

Might have to check with Laos - I've been there 3 times in the past to get a new 1 year visa and was refused every time. They said they just don't issue them. I renewed mine back in Australia when I went - in fact that's where I do mine, and see the family at the same time.

Secondly, I've seen the rules (2.18), but I've never been asked to show proof of income or anything to do with the bank. 2.19 also covers that for a spouse of Thai residents, but doesn't mention anything on the money front. When applying I show copies of the wife's ID card, marriage cert etc, and that's all.

Hope that helps - perhaps not!
Cheers
Phil

papaguido
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by papaguido » January 4, 2013, 7:54 am

Philrjones wrote:Hi,

I'm on a non-immigration 'O' visa for marriage.

Might have to check with Laos - I've been there 3 times in the past to get a new 1 year visa and was refused every time. They said they just don't issue them. I renewed mine back in Australia when I went - in fact that's where I do mine, and see the family at the same time.

Vientiane consulate only grant single entry Non Imm "O" (3mos)
Secondly, I've seen the rules (2.18), but I've never been asked to show proof of income or anything to do with the bank. 2.19 also covers that for a spouse of Thai residents, but doesn't mention anything on the money front. When applying I show copies of the wife's ID card, marriage cert etc, and that's all.

Hope that helps - perhaps not!
Cheers
Phil
Are you referring to a 12 month extension based on marriage or when applying for a non imm "O" visa. If the latter, it's typically not asked for when applying for a visa @ Vientiane.
Last edited by papaguido on January 4, 2013, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by papaguido » January 4, 2013, 7:56 am

kjellsnell wrote:It can be done in Udon as well but...the transfers coasts a haevy fee....i make it in august last year!
You successfully converted a tourist visa to marriage or retirement at Udon Imm????

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by RLTrader » January 4, 2013, 9:20 am

papaguido wrote:
newtovillagelife wrote:RL could you please give more details as to what is involved and the costs in BKK
A forum member went through the process of converting his tourist visa a few years ago...more here:
randerson79 wrote:Just an update on my quest for a "retirement visa"....

I spent the night in Bangkok Sunday the 21st. I had searched the internet for the answers and everyone has answers. Very few were correct! :shock: I down loaded many forms lots and lots of forms. Filled them all out and was ready for anything. I got out of bed Monday morning early.

07:20 Arrived at USA Embassey:
Big long line! I stand in the line thinking this going to take all day! Sweet little lady walks up to me and askes me "where you come from". I'm thinking this is a great time for a pick-up line. What next she going to ask me next? where I go tonight? I say the USA. The next thing she says "Sir you are in the wrong line American Citizen services are over there". :oops: Walk right in. I was the 2nd person to take a number. Nice man takes my forms. Income affidavit, drivers license affidavit and new pages for my passport. He informed it thake about an hour for my new pages. Wait about 30 minutes. I get called back to the counter. The nice young man asks me if my affidavits were true and correct. Has me sign them and a stamp and I'm on my way.

08:30 enroute to Bangkok Immigration
09:30 Arrived at Immigration
Walked straight to the number counter no wait. Smiling Lady asked what I wanted. I tell her I just turned 50 and would like a retirement visa. She smiled asked "sure you 50 you not look 50". Check my visa and paper work. She informed me it takes 10 days to process a retirement visa. And I only had 4 days left on my tourist visa. She gave me a number and sent me to the visa extension department with a form TM.7. Called my number. Talked with another nice Lady. She took my passport and 1900 baht asked a couple questions and sent me back to wait. Recalled my number took my photo. Easy as pie a 30 day extension! Finished.

10:30 Back at number counter.
Same lady gives me a number for the Change of Visa Department. Waited about 20 minutes and my number was called. Sat at a desk of a young grumpy man. No smile. No eye contact. But If you had seen what had just left his office you would be grumpy too! If you have ever watched Austin Powers and remember the "Fat Bastard". :-& This was his twin brother! Come on guys, is it that had to take a shower, shave, put on some deoderant, comb you hair and put on some clean clothes? And his attitude was as nasty as his looks. Anyway back to my visa. The man looks at my passport. I give him my application for change of visa form TM.86 with photo attached, income affidavit form and copys of my passport. Asks from 2000 baht. He then studies my copies for awhile. I had copied them before my 30 extension. He wanted copies with the extension. He told me to go down stairs and get new copies. I told him I would be fast. He smiled and said take your time no problem. Came back from the copy shop, winded and out of breath. The young man smiled took my new copy. Handed me my passport and a receipt with a return date of Dec 3. Told me there would be no problem. He also asked why I came to Bangkok to get my visa and that all Immigration points can do this.

11:30 enroute to Hotel!!

I go back Dec 3 for my stamp. I enjoy going to Bangkok so it is no problem for me. Barring any problem, not a hard process. I think Stan hit it spot on. Thanks!! \:D/

I would say that my experience was the same as above. When my multiple entry Visa ran out, did runs for about another year to different places, and if I compared them to my BKK experience, it was much more positive.

Once when renewing my one year retirement in Korat, me and another American were refused, and told to go to our local Immigration office, after we both said we would continue on to Bangkok, they asked us to wait, and we switched officers, and they then over ruled each other and process our paperwork. This was back when there was no Udon office, just NK :lol:

Philrjones
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Philrjones » January 4, 2013, 10:11 am

You're right PapaG,

I remember that Vientiane only gave me a 3 month non-imm O visa, and yes I'm referring to when I'm applying for a new 12 month non-imm O visa based on marriage.

When I'm in Australia and apply for a new 12 month marriage visa, it's done the same day and I get it the next. Then when I'm here, I never have any problems with showing bank statements, income etc. If I were a bit older and went for the retirement one, then I'd have to show the financial side.

Anyway, I'm off to Laos a bit later today to do a border run - still this damn 3 month border trip.

Cheers
Phil

martinkb

Options please....

Post by martinkb » January 4, 2013, 12:55 pm

i got the non o from lao when i got married, got my extension from immigration at nakhon sawan, keep extending the same non o every year, 3 years now and never left thailand, just report every 90 days and make extension application annually, forgot to report just before xmas and paid 2000baht fine for being 14days late reporting.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 4, 2013, 12:58 pm

Just on another note:- Looks like the home location map we provide em on the Non 'O' 12 month extension is not a waste of paper. Just had a visit from the local Ban Dung police doing a check on me after my renewal last week, they were holding a faxed copy of the map I supplied.

They interviewed our next door neighbors, the Puyai Baan, TW and just a polite wah to me. Wanted to know if I ever worked illegally and general information about me. A little strange as one the BiB was a relative of the neighbor, he and TW have known each other most of their lives and he knew me.

1st time in many years that they have checked on me that I know of!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by papaguido » January 5, 2013, 10:03 am

more info...

Source...

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/engbroch.pdf

Greg Ledder
udonmap.com

Options please....

Post by Greg Ledder » February 24, 2013, 3:33 pm

RLTrader wrote:Remember if you do a run just before visa expires in April, you get another 90 days which will take you to July. Added plus is all the duty free shopping. I also think it is easier and cheaper to do conversion in Bangkok, plus BKK to me is a lot easier to get to than Vientiane.
RL Trader - Sorry for the very late response but I missed your post somehow! I thought that once my 6 month multiple entry tourist Visa expired in April that was it - back to blighty!
I currently have to do a border run every 60 days (next one tomorrow!) and presumed that I only got 3 entries - one when I arrived in LOS and two border run entries and that this was the last one I could do before I would have to leave the country if I didn't convert the visa. Wedding plans still under way......

So, forgive the ignorance but are you saying I could extend my visa for a further 60 or 90 days if I do another border run in April just before the tourist visa expires?

Many thanks,

Greg. :D

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”