consular services

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
valentine

Post by valentine » October 8, 2005, 7:00 am

Agree with you Pops. I was part of an occupying force and we behaved with more respect to the very people who a moment ago were trying to kill us than these lads do in a friendly country.
Must be very difficult for the modern day US military though. Any one with an ounce of brain must realise they are simply cannon fodder for the whims of corporate business and the feather headed president who is the Chief of Staff. So how can we critiscise them for bad behaviour when those above display a total lack of concern for their own countrymen.
I vowed never to say,"Things were different in my days" but here, I suppose thats what I am saying.Sorry.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » October 8, 2005, 3:51 pm

I have learned through a veteran's forum that the obnoxious and drunken behavior by some military members has been noticed by influential people at Bangkok JUSMAG and they are keeping a watchful eye on it so the curfew might be just a hint of things to come. Apparently, some even worse incidents than those mentioned in this forum have occurred. The posts in this forum have also been noticed, I was told, so continue posting your observations of the loutish behavior, guys. I still think that the military services involved should be providing adequate forces of MPs, SPs and APs during this exercise to act as a deterrent to the bad apples who are a very small minority of the overall military.

During my years in Udon at the height of the Vietnam conflict when there were 5-10,000 Air Force, Army, Marines, Air America and other civilian contractors stationed here, you rarely heard of any incidents of this type occurring. Why? We weren't all choirboys but maybe we were indoctrinated and taught to respect the Thai people and their culture more than these guys are today. End of rant. :oops:

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » October 8, 2005, 4:30 pm

I great to hear that our posts on this forum has been noticed by those who really need to know. Mp. SP, and AP shouldn't have to be needed if the NCO's and Senior NCO's from the squad leaders to Sergeant Majors that are here take control of thier troops. Like I have said in other posts, I have seen NCO's doing nothing to keep thier troops under control. I think maybe JUSMAG needs to seek some of the expats here to give the briefing on how to act while they are GUESTS here, since expats know the town and it's people and have knowledge of what has happened in the time. It's really embarressing to have to explain to my friends who are locals here why they acted the way they did. JUSMAG if you read this Please brief your NCO's and troops on how to as as guests in this Land of Smiles or get one of us too brief them.

Pop's :pirate:

valentine

Post by valentine » October 8, 2005, 8:10 pm

They could start by putting them under canvas instead of the 1st class hotels they use where their loutish behaviour is more noticable.After all, they are supposed to be on a military excercise. Do they really expect to live this way in a battle zone?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 9, 2005, 10:27 am

They put them up in hotels? :shock:

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”