Money Question

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
banpaeng
udonmap.com

Money Question

Post by banpaeng » October 4, 2005, 6:37 pm

To meet the Bt800,000 requirement, is it possible to have an employer write that your work income is greater. I have been approached about doing some consulting but not in Thailand but could live there as work would be done in Eu or US. Would actually not work in Thailand. Does this sound like it would work or would it raise to many red flags. Can meet the requirement with out the work thing but using work income at present would be easier. Not sure want to work anyway to be honest. But part time might be ok so like the option put on table.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Re: Money Question

Post by polehawk » October 4, 2005, 8:25 pm

banpaeng wrote:To meet the Bt800,000 requirement, is it possible to have an employer write that your work income is greater. I have been approached about doing some consulting but not in Thailand but could live there as work would be done in Eu or US. Would actually not work in Thailand. Does this sound like it would work or would it raise to many red flags. Can meet the requirement with out the work thing but using work income at present would be easier. Not sure want to work anyway to be honest. But part time might be ok so like the option put on table.

banpaeng, the 800,000 baht requirement can be met in THREE ways:

(from Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C.)
A copy of a bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, OR an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, OR a deposit account plus a monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year.

The third way can be a combination of your retirement income plus your bank deposit that should total no less than the 800,000 baht.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 4, 2005, 8:25 pm

Sorry, it really doesn't matter how much you earn. It is based on foreign funds remitted to Thailand or held in a bank account here, every year.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 5, 2005, 4:00 am

I will take from your answer that they do not care where the funds come from as long as they come. They do not ask where or how?

Thanks guys for your answer.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 5, 2005, 5:17 am

Not maybe a direct answer to your question (but hopefully not too far off topic), but this is what I'm thinking to keep life as simple as possible for myself; it comes from what I

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 5, 2005, 8:25 am

Thanks Jimbo Interesting thought.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 5, 2005, 9:12 am

Exactly Jimbo, thats what I've done but immediately after visa is issued I take it out of my name and put it in the wifes, till next year.No ones having my money for less than 1% interest.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 6, 2005, 7:38 am

I am currently planning to make a long term deposit of the required amount (for maximum interest) leaving the capital balance alone as dead money

Hmm, my understanding was that "new money" had to come into the country. Could not just be left there and used over and over to meet the requirement, except by transfering back and forth. But person who told me this, could be wrong!

8)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 6, 2005, 10:44 am

I have a married to a Thai visa and i have to show "new" money coming in because of my age(thirties).It may be different for the retirement visa.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 6, 2005, 4:18 pm

My understanding is that you need to show either:

1. A pension of 65,000 or more each month coming from outside Thailand (has to be new money).

or

2. A Bank Statement certified by the bank showing a balance of 800,000 at the renewal date which has come from outside Thailand.

Remember the retirement visa is only for a year, 800,000 in the bank demonstrates you should (certainly by Thai standards) have sufficient funds to survive for the following year.

There is always a danger that different immigration offices may have differing interpretations of the rules.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Retirement income + savings deposit = 800,000 Baht

Post by polehawk » October 7, 2005, 4:32 am

Jimbo, I respect your opinion but the wording by the Thai embassies around the world on the requirements reads substantially the same, i.e., the third option of a combination of income PLUS savings deposit has to be 800,000 Baht or more. Some of us out here will be taking early retirement and our pensions/social security incomes will be less than 65,000 Baht per month. We do have more than enough funds available in 401K's and the like but I am not enthused about leaving 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank because of low interest rate and accompanying hassles that may be involved. A combination of income plus a smaller amount in savings deposits makes more sense to me.

Here's a couple of reference links:

Thai Embassy in UK:
http://thailand.embassyhomepage.com/vis ... ssy_uk.htm

VISA ISSUANCE FOR TEMPORARY RESIDENCE [ NON-IMMIGRANT "O-A" (LONG STAY)]
"A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthy income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. "
===================

From Phuket Gazette's Issues and Answers:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesansw ... asp?id=366

Also, there is some relevant info in this posting for any early retirees out there.

Wonder if anyone out there is using the "combination of savings with income" proviso? I submitted the question to the Phuket Gazette since they do get answers from Thai Immigration sources and will post their answer or the link to it, in case anyone's interested.

:D

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 7, 2005, 5:50 am

There is a possible option that I am interested in but have not found an answer to; looking at the rules, the English translation of the cash requirement appears to be:
A copy of bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to not less than 800,000 Baht.

I have been wondering whether an equivalent amount to 800,000 Baht, in USD, GBP, AUD or CAD deposited in a Thai Bank (such as Bangkok Bank) might possibly qualify.

The reason I

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 7, 2005, 6:38 am

A very good link Jimbo. I hope BB reads it all. Maybe doc will say Thailand here you come.

Polehawk, if you have not yet checked on a 72t for your 401k you might. It is definatly helping me get to Thailand.

Jimbo I ran into the same situation of the money transfer. I found out that Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York. I am able to make the transfer fre via electronic transfer. I can think of possibly two options. Does Bangkok Bank have a branck in the UK or does your bank have a branch in the states. Thanks for the tip on rates as I did not think about that. I will be checking shortly. I just don't know how buying a cd in Newyork will work for Thailand. My guess is it won't work but mayby someone on here will know.

valentine

Post by valentine » October 7, 2005, 7:23 am

Bangkok Bank has an office in London.St Marys Axe, E.C.1
Nearest underground station, Aldersgate. I have frequently transferred money to other accounts as well as depositing to my own.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 7, 2005, 7:30 am

Valentine, would you happen to know if you could leave your money in Bangkok Bank in London and show that to the immigration folks as it is in one of the Thai banks.

Thanks.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 7, 2005, 11:12 am

banpaeng,i'm afraid the money has to be here in Thailand and have been transferred from overseas.Tried showing immigration various oversees assets but not interested.

Marcus

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » October 8, 2005, 8:46 am

Just a thought! Just maybe, you could transfer the dead 800k from thai bank to thai bank. Problem is the deposit might have the wrong symbol. :?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 8, 2005, 10:37 am

lopburi3,the TV,visa guru posted something the other day to the effect that there may be a new form of bank letter to be introduced which will have to show the balance on the account on each month.i.e they will be looking to see drawdown of the cash.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 8, 2005, 12:15 pm

In relation to "Retirement Visas", I may be able to add some clarity to the "monthly income of 65000 baht".

Whilist I had always correctly understood that the balance of at least 800k baht had to be in a Thai bank a/c., I had previously incorrectly assumed (or read somewhere) that (the alternative criteria), - the monthly income equivalent to at least 65K baht, had to be paid into a bank in Thailand. But that is not so. You have to show that you have an income of more than 65K. In my case, it is a pension paid in the Uk, into my Uk bank, and from which I draw upon, as required by ATM card over here. It does not have to be paid into a bank over here.

I had to submit pension advices etc to the British Embassy, who wrote a letter of verification, which I then presented to Thai Immigration. Immigration did however then want to see evidence of my bank a/c over here, i.e. that I had some money for daily needs. They were not bothered by exactly how much. In fact, I think my passbook showed about 200K at the time. I had some more in another book, but they didn't even want to look.

As these are "Retirement Visa's", there is also the requirement that one must be 50 years of age or over, and oh yes, they wanted a "Medical Certificate".

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 8, 2005, 2:48 pm

Thanks Arjay, that is really good information, well for me, as this will be more or less exactly my situation. My pension(s) will be paid into a UK bank (which I think will be 'Nationwide' because of their non charging of foreign ATM transactions) and I planned to draw money from it via ATM. I will also have a 'lump sum' but I planned to leave that in another UK account as I can draw nearly 4.5% monthly interest on it. From what you say it would be sensible for me to bring a further 'lump sum' which should be put in a Thai bank, for retirement visa purposes?? Logically I guess this makes sense as it is always usefull to have money nearby for any emergencies, I just didn't really want to have to leave 800,000 baht lying in a Thai without it generating some sort of income for me..

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”