Extension of tourist visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
ZARguy
udonmap.com

Post by ZARguy » January 9, 2015, 12:52 pm

I'm staying in Sawang Den Din, here on a 60 day Tourist Visa obtained from Thai Embassy in South Africa.
I wish to apply for a 30 day extension.
Recently I met a friendly Brit in Tesco and he had just renewed his visa. He said there were no problems.
Because Sawang falls under Sakon Nahkon province, I need to take a bus ride to Sakon, then ask a taxi to take me to the Immigration Building.
I dont speak any Thai but he reckons I could manage on my own, but things would be smoother with my gf along.

I am about to pay extra for a ticket data change today (only 6 seats left) but would like some reassurance that that there is unlikely to be any problem with the extension. I have proof of house ownership in South Africa, and proof of a monthly pension being paid to me. Plus my return ticket.

Some questions for the visa experts please:

1) Is your day of entering LOS regarded as day 1 of your visa - or is the following day, day 1

2) Does a 30-day extension just get added onto your current visam giving me 90 days total - or does the 30 days run from the day it is issued. Important to know as I want to maximise my stay, but not overstay!

3) How much is a 30 day visa extension (obtained internally)

4) Is it a same day affair or will I have to stay over? What time do they open?

5) Apart from my passport, RSA ID, departure form and money what else do I need to take along?

6) I am staying with my gf but the smaller streets here dont appear to have names, No names show on Google Maps either. She uses her work address for post, so I guess I can use it as well if a Thai address is required?
Or should I use the guesthouse I sometimes stay at in Udon?

7) If for some reason I am refused, I presume I could go to Laos at Vientienne just before the current visa expires and get the normal 30-day visa exempt stamp on re-entry to Thailand?

Thanks visa experts!

utr
udonmap.com

Post by utr » January 9, 2015, 2:11 pm

as i understand it you can apply at ANY immigration office in thailand for a 30 day extension of a tourist visa. all extensions of stay cost 1,900 baht. an extension of a tourist visa is approved same day.

an extension is added to your current stay, that is you do not loose any days applying early. correct, the day you arrive is counted as day 1.

normally you only need your passport, completed application form, passport size photo and 1,900 baht.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » January 9, 2015, 4:43 pm

Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » January 10, 2015, 1:13 pm

ZARguy wrote:..... 1) Is your day of entering LOS regarded as day 1 of your visa - or is the following day, day 1 ....
The generally accepted rule for visa purposes is that the day of arrival counts as a day and the day of departure counts as a day.

However that can be nuanced to some degree as many countries only determine you to have arrived when you pass through inward passport control and have left when you pass through outward passport control.

I do not know whether Thailand uses the time of aircraft arrival or the time you are processed at inward passport control to determine your date of arrival.

I do know on departure that you have to be processed through outward passport control by 23.59

I have flown out of Thailand on an early morning flight from Swampy on what might be considered to be day 91 (on a Non-Immigrant Visa) but I was ok because I passed through passport control before midnight on day 90.

The check in staff at Swampy noticed that my visa expired that day and were kind enough to “strongly advise” me to make sure that I was through passport control by 23.59 (I already knew, but I thanked them for the info).

This suggests to me that they may not only scrutinise your passport for eligibility to go to your flight destination but also that they scrutinise your passport to check whether you have breached (or may potentially breach) Thailand Immigration rules.

In the era we live in it would surprise me if there is not a requirement for the check in desks to be directly linked to outward passport control - so that when necessary the authorities are able to welcome overstays with a freshly prepared cell :fryingpan: #-o
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » January 10, 2015, 2:00 pm

be aware - I am staying with my gf - does she reported this on a formular, if not, you does have some problem, than you need to book one night in a guesthouse at use this adress when you aply

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Post by ZARguy » January 11, 2015, 12:47 pm

Thanks everyone, all comments appreciated and useful.
wiking wrote:be aware - I am staying with my gf - does she reported this on a formular, if not, you does have some problem, than you need to book one night in a guesthouse at use this adress when you aply
Could you or someone else clarify as to whether the immigration office want to know your Thai address for the application? The Example form "application for extension" you referred to does not contain any mention of a local address.

So it seems that I can apply at either Sakon Nahkon or Udon Thani? (preumably no office in Sawangdendin).
I have stayed at Thomas Guesthouse in Udon this holiday, and will again soon, so could I use them for an address if necessary? Or will they check if I am currently staying there at the time I apply???

I read somwhere that they require a simple map/drawing of where you are staying? Or am I confusing that with some other application?
I just want the simplest, legal, no trouble visa renewal. My changed flight dates leave 2 days grace to be safe. Would not be nice to have my visa app declined and have leave suddenly!

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » January 11, 2015, 6:16 pm

You are just extending a normal 60-days tourist visa. So no need of an address, nor maps, nor pictures of you or of bed linen etc.
You just go to the next immigration office fill out the form to get another 30 days and pay the 1.900 baht. You have to go there maybe one or two weeks before your first 60 days expire. Regardless of the day you apply, the 30 more days will be added to the first 60.

And Yes, stop fearing any problems. The extension of a tourist-visa is as easy as going to 7/11. The bureaucratic work has already been done when you applied for the 60-days tourist visa.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » January 11, 2015, 9:58 pm

on the back off the aplication, is the adress where you stay or want to stay and I dont think they check it and you can use Thomas resort

I have done many time and they always wish to know where I stay - take a bussinesscard from thomas and show them

and not worry - no problems

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » January 11, 2015, 11:52 pm

wiking is right. The form widely used asks for a current address and a picture of you.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/do ... df/tm7.pdf

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Post by ZARguy » January 12, 2015, 12:26 pm

Hi everyone,

OK, I think I've been suitably re-assured! Thank you for all the help. I never saw the back of the app form the first time.
Seems like I just need to get a photo taken (passport? Colour or BW and get Thomas Resort full address with "Tambon" (not quite sure what that is but think its a record of who is staying in a particular place. Since I will be regsited as a guest on the day I apply, and for a few more days that shouldnt be a problem.
I know someone in Udon who is a fiend of an immigration officer and they also offered to assist if necessary, though it doesnt sound it.

Its interesting I have a perfectly nice house at home plus new car and pool but the longer I stay here the more settled I feel. And minus all the crime in RSA. My sisters husband was doing a job and his expesnive folding ladder was stolen and the radio riupped out for good measure.
You cannot leace anything unattended for a moment now or its gone to generate supplementary incme for someone.

So far nearly every Thai I have passed has responded to my greeinting in a friendly way. The raod "rules" are crazy though.

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » January 12, 2015, 1:03 pm

Get a colour photo Passport size..
Tambon forms part of the address...
Tambon is the sub district... I would think for Thomas Resort that would be - Nong Bua
The Amphoe is the district - Muang
and the Changwat is the province - Udon Thani

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Post by ZARguy » January 12, 2015, 3:58 pm

Thanks! Thats everything I need now for the renewal!

Now if Air Asia would only refund me my ticket fare when I cancel and not the small airport tax I would be happy.
They seem to have cut down on their flights becausde on previous trips I usually took an afternoon flight around 2pm to BKK leaving me plenty of time to connect with my BKK to DOHA flight around 8pm.

On Sunday 1st March there is only a morning flight and an early evening flight, neither of which suit my connecting flight. So I can't just ask for a date change - have to cancel and fly Nok Air which seems to have plenty of flight to chose from (from Udon anyway).
Is Air Asia scaling back?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 13, 2015, 2:58 pm

Air Asia is a budget airline, your T&C's would have identified this when booking.

Changes accepted with fees, refunds don't think so

ZARguy
udonmap.com

Post by ZARguy » February 4, 2015, 2:48 pm

Update: case closed!
Well, my gf and I found our way to the Immigration Office on a FRiday morning around 10-11am.
Chap at door gave me forms, I had to put in a few items but he basicallt filled in all the rest. Told me I didn't need a number, but go and wait in the chairs opposite the officers.
Wasn't long, I could seemingly jump the queue where others had a number, then 10 minute wait when my IO disapperead, presumably to the ladies.
She came back, and it took about 15 minutes. No questions at all excpt to ask me for 1900 baht. I noticed the change wasn't returned haha. My gf said don't make waves. Well, as long as I got what I came for.

Whole visit took around 45 minutes, very happy. Didin't need any help from my gf at all. I hear people can wait all day in popular Imm Offices, but maybe it was because I was just extending.
Thanks again all advice and reassurances.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”