visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
stokiebaz
udonmap.com

visa

Post by stokiebaz » August 5, 2015, 1:50 am

Visiting for 35 days december,i know i need a tourist visa but instead of getting it here can i still go into laos and get the extra days on my return.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

visa

Post by Charlieb » August 5, 2015, 6:39 am

Why not just go to Thai Counselate and get a 60 day visa before your trip? No nee for Laos

Zidane
udonmap.com

visa

Post by Zidane » August 5, 2015, 8:31 am

Yes,you have two options....
1.Obtain the 60 day Tourist Visa in the UK before you fly out.
OR
2.You will get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days at Suvarnabhumi when you arrive.If you want to extend cross the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai and return,getting a further 15 days.

The choice is yours.....
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

skinner
udonmap.com

visa

Post by skinner » August 5, 2015, 9:09 am

stokiebaz wrote:Visiting for 35 days december,i know i need a tourist visa but instead of getting it here can i still go into laos and get the extra days on my return.

Your problem will be the airline , NOT Thai immigration. If they notice you have no visa they will want to see a ticket out of Thailand ( to anywhere outside Thailand, not necessarily home ) within 30 days. They may refuse you boarding.
So much easier to get a visa before you leave.

waanjai
udonmap.com

visa

Post by waanjai » August 5, 2015, 9:32 am

The answer is: Yes, You have this option.

Technically spoken, You will arrive in Thailand without a visa in Your passport. As a member of a larger list of Western countries You will get a so-called "Visa-exempt stamp" (no visa on arrival!) granting You a stay in the kingdom of up to 30 days.

To prolong this period You would have to do a so-called "visa-run" to Laos in order to get another visa-exempt stamp. As a member of the G8-countries You will get another 30 days even thru crossing the border on land.

Please do not believe that this way of doing it is necessarily cheaper than applying for a tourist visa at home. Transportation to/from and within Laos, Your visa on arrival there and other fees cost a few thousand Baht too.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

visa

Post by FrazeeDK » August 5, 2015, 9:34 am

or you can go to Immigration here in Udon, show them your ticket and they'll give you a 7 day extension.. I believe it costs around a thousand baht...
Dave

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

visa

Post by Asiaphile » August 5, 2015, 9:37 am

Yes, it's cheaper and more convenient to get an extension at the immigration office.Go there with 1,900 baht, a copy of your passport, a copy of your arrival card, a pass photo, your ticket out of Thailand, and Bob's your uncle. :-"

skinner
udonmap.com

visa

Post by skinner » August 5, 2015, 11:27 am

FrazeeDK wrote:or you can go to Immigration here in Udon, show them your ticket and they'll give you a 7 day extension.. I believe it costs around a thousand baht...
ALL extensions are 1900 baht, if you want the 10 days available from the 30 day stamp, the 30 days available on a tourist visa, the 60 days available on a single entry non immigrant , or the yearly extension, ALL are the same price.

The OPs problem could be the airline . If his ticket out is 35 days after arriving in Thailand ,and he has no visa , they CAN and DO deny boarding if they choose , as they face large fines if caught out.

stokiebaz
udonmap.com

visa

Post by stokiebaz » August 5, 2015, 1:24 pm

Thanks guys for all the info very useful

rick
udonmap.com

visa

Post by rick » August 6, 2015, 1:28 am

The extension costs 1900 baht, say £36 pounds ..... a 60 day tourist visa £25 in the UK (can do by post). No need to worry about Immigration declining extension (theoretically possible) and no need to queue at immigration office. A No brainer.

wazza
udonmap.com

visa

Post by wazza » August 6, 2015, 5:51 am

2 Posters stating 2 different comments on going to Lao and returning for the new Visa on Arrival

1 - get 15 Days upon entry back into Thailand

2 - get 30 days upon entry back into Thailand

BobHelm
udonmap.com

visa

Post by BobHelm » August 6, 2015, 6:11 am

Members of G8 countries get 30 days on arrival by land into Thailand.
Most other countries (ASEAN excluded) get 15 days.
So, as you are an Aussie Waz....sorry... :D

maaka
udonmap.com

visa

Post by maaka » August 6, 2015, 6:46 am

I have done all this on several occasions, via different means...
30days and border hop,
verse fell asleep at BKK airport and missed my flight, and ran for Laos to get more days until next flight,
or on another occasion gone to IMM in Udon, and got a 1900bt extension...

like some one said earlier, it your plane air ticket that matters..
I have had a ticket for just over 30days thinking the customs bloke at BKK would stamp 32 days, but no, just 30.
I use to get the ticket to match the 30days, then once inside, phoned the airline and changed my ticket dates, and went to Laos and back...next trip my ticket is for 64days, and so I will have to do either a border hop, or go Imm and get 4 days..price is roughly the same...

maaka
udonmap.com

visa

Post by maaka » August 6, 2015, 6:47 am

ps. i WILL GET THE 60 DAY VISA IN NZ..

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

visa

Post by FrazeeDK » August 6, 2015, 11:52 am

mind you the latest Immigration published policy for "border hops" are to give ONLY 14 days re-entering Thailand through a land port of entry.. If you return via air you get another 30 days at any airport port of entry..
Dave

BobHelm
udonmap.com

visa

Post by BobHelm » August 6, 2015, 12:09 pm

Not if you are from a G8 passport holding country Frazee.
Well, as a UK Passport holder, I got 30 days on re-entry from Laos on 10th. May this year..

waanjai
udonmap.com

visa

Post by waanjai » August 6, 2015, 1:14 pm

old stuff already. Started on November 1, 2013. Still valid.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679 ... and-italy/
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

visa

Post by FrazeeDK » August 6, 2015, 1:44 pm

and the latest.. a Six Month tourist visa with multiple re-entries for 5,000 baht!! http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... le-entries
Dave

rick
udonmap.com

visa

Post by rick » August 6, 2015, 4:00 pm

Hmm, i wonder if this new visa replaces the current double or triple entry tourist visa... basically it seems like the multi-entry 'O' (although more limited) but without presumably the age and income restrictions.

skinner
udonmap.com

visa

Post by skinner » August 6, 2015, 7:33 pm

rick wrote:Hmm, i wonder if this new visa replaces the current double or triple entry tourist visa... basically it seems like the multi-entry 'O' (although more limited) but without presumably the age and income restrictions.
Multi-entry O has no age and income restrictions, but each entry is only 90 days. Perhaps the proposed new visa will give 6 month entry with no requirement to leave and re-enter, but the ability to leave and re-enter at will within the 6 months if you wish.
This could be a great visa for some people depending on individual circumstances, but we will have to wait and see if it ever happens, and if it does ,what the details are.
Personally I would prefer the current double entry for 2,000 baht,( as opposed to 5,000 baht) but that suits my comings and goings. We all have different visa needs , after all.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”