tourist visa for my thai girlfriend?

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
brian1976

tourist visa for my thai girlfriend?

Post by brian1976 » April 19, 2007, 10:15 pm

does anybody know anything about getting a tourist visa for my girlfriend? ive been told that is not a easy thing to do.. does anyone have any info on this matter that they can share with me.. i,m looking at trying to get her a 3 month tourist visa to england.... any help would be greatfull.. ie the costs and about the whole process... thanks

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » April 19, 2007, 10:31 pm

Hi Brian,
I got a 6 month tourist visa for my TGF last year, I had to supply my bank details to ensure that I could afford to finance her stay in the UK, together with proof that I could give her accommodation (I used a council tax receipt to prove I hade a house), also they wanted proof that the relationship was not for business - they accepted a copy of my passport showing frequent visits, plus emails & telephone bills showing calls to her, and they wanted from her a valid reason for her to return to Thailand (and not go missing in the UK), she used family & work connections, and the fact that she was leaving her 3 yo son with her mother. Can't remember the exact cost but it wasn't cheap, I think it's on the UK Bangkok Embassy web site.
Finally, I was quoted ฃ1,800 sterling for this service from the Visa Service shop in UT (main office in Bangkok) - much too expensive, with a trip to BKK you can do it yourself, we had to stay there a few days waiting for the Embassy to ring my TGF for a brief interview. A lot of messing about, but not too hard as long as you have plenty of written info to back up your application.
Expect 1/2 Hour grilling at Heathrow Immigration, they were very keen to make sure it was a tourist only visit.
Second application much easier, - Good luck.

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » April 20, 2007, 12:20 am

Tourist Visa for 6 months is 4,536 baht, The British Embassy no longer handle the visa enquires, this is done by a company called VFS

The Visa Application Centre, 2nd floor, Regent House,183 Rajdamri Road, Lumpini, Pathumwan,Bangkok 10330

www.ukvac-th.com
e mail [email protected]

Telephone number 00 66 (0) 2 254 1098 and 99

I am in the process of doing this now, a lot of paper work and research as the last poster said, good luck

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 20, 2007, 12:45 am

Basically you need to prove she will not "do a runner" and go underground working in the UK illegally. As has been said you will need to prove you have the means to support her financially during her stay. If she is employed you will need a letter from her employer saying that she has a job to return to.

If the same as Ireland (and I think the rules are pretty similar) you will need to prove existence of an existing relationship to show (like Mally said) it is not a financial arrangement.

If you are here and staying in a hotel then get a bill with both your names on it, also if you have emails print them out. Write her letters and get her to save them and envelopes with dates just so as you have something tangible to present to the authorities.

Chok di, good luck.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 20, 2007, 2:55 am

Same goes - more or less - but probably more - for the US.
Ain't Easy Being Me

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » April 20, 2007, 3:05 am

its not easy to do ,more failures than successes because they have been burnt too many times at the embassy by dodgy unreliable women. many are the stories of angry blokes going apesh1t in the visa section because they were refused and getting thrown out by the security guys . In fact the embassy has a terrible reputation for refusing visas.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » April 20, 2007, 8:29 am

Doc wrote:Same goes - more or less - but probably more - for the US.
Doc, I have to say it is impossible in the US. We wanted to bring my mother in law and my wifes sister. Finally got Mom in as she was 65, but sis did not make it as she was 40 with kids an husband, land, self employed building contractor, and that was not good enough. At least the guy was honest and told me to many had gone to the US and entered an illegal profession on a tourist visa and basically run. Try explaining that to a Thai lady and her not getting mad.

Oh well as said before our govt is not perfect and a long way from it, but I feel like I can kick it around. I pay taxes and vote.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 20, 2007, 10:54 am

banpaeng wrote "Oh well as said before our govt is not perfect and a long way from it, but I feel like I can kick it around. I pay taxes and vote."

I have often been told "if you don't vote don't bitch". The US MAY be the only democracy where you can get the popular vote and still lose the election. Until they correct this little democratic inconsistency, paying taxes allows me to kick'm around a bit also;o)

BanPhu
udonmap.com

Post by BanPhu » April 21, 2007, 12:23 am

As long as you have the correct documentation asked for (you could also include holiday insurance info and trip plan), proof of relationship (photos etc and the longer you have known each other the better eg you haven't just met her on a 1 week holiday and you haven't known long enough to not know that she will not do a runner), proof of funds and the proof of the dreaded "reason for her to return" (eg property, steady job, established business) and you put it together neatly and comprehensively then it should go through smoothly.

One word of warning, when visiting the VFS in Bangkok there is a "Visa Agency" in the same building next to the VFS, I have heard it reported that they linger in the building outside their office and the VFS door and greet you upon entry asking if they can see your application. Lots of people are duped into thinking they are VFS staff and are fooled into parting with cash that if they had of carried in through the door would have been avoided.

Good Luck

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 21, 2007, 12:39 am

Good tip off Banphu. !!

i know of a couple of applicants have used the services of agencys but they were of a more difficult application and eventually they got the visa's they wanted, but if you have every thing in place and give them what they ask for and the interview, if called for one goes well, the visa section officers "should" be satisfied, each case is measured by its own merits,but as always with things like this its not gaurenteed !!

Me

Post by Me » April 21, 2007, 12:36 pm

My wife did it herself. The crazy thing is British Embassy grilled her about why she had been married for 4 years and and was only applying for a visa now.
??????????
Is that why most Thai girls maary Brits? To get to UK.
Something seriously wrong with these Embassy people.
She got the visa UK but we decided to forget the whole thing and just stay home.

brian1976

Post by brian1976 » April 21, 2007, 7:32 pm

hello all thanks for your kind infomation.. its come in handy.. i think a trip back sounds like the best option for myself.. i.ll be in touch thanks agian.. everyone.. :? :?

designer
udonmap.com

Post by designer » May 8, 2007, 5:27 pm

Hi there I have just applied for a visa for my girlfriend,i am in south africa
she goes to bk for the interview,will report back.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 8, 2007, 6:31 pm

I was thinking of applying to take my LGF back to the Uk with me on one of my occasional brief return visits, but am concerned at the number of hoops we will have to jump through. It would only be a holiday visit of say 2 or 3 weeks.

What puzzles me a bit is how when we have lived together in Thailand for over 2 years, I can actually prove that. I don't write letters to her, or ring her much, or send her money, as we live together. We don't have any tenancy agreements in joint names. She doesn't work, as she isn't allowed to here. We each have our own separate bank a/c's. :?

We have a few photos of us in various places, but they don't have dates on the back, though they maybe a little dog-eared!!! :lol:

She has a daughter living in Laos, which could be used as a reason for GF wanting to return to Thailand, with me, and not doing a runner in the Uk, but the daughter doesn't have a birth certificate, though she does have a passport.

In the Uk we would stay with my son or daughter.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 10, 2007, 11:08 am

Does anyone have any thoughts or useful suggestions on this one, i.e. my preceding post above? :?

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » May 10, 2007, 11:55 am

Arjay I have Pm'd you on this subject :D

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » May 10, 2007, 2:16 pm

BanPhu wrote:As long as you have the correct documentation asked for (you could also include holiday insurance info and trip plan), proof of relationship (photos etc and the longer you have known each other the better eg you haven't just met her on a 1 week holiday and you haven't known long enough to not know that she will not do a runner), proof of funds and the proof of the dreaded "reason for her to return" (eg property, steady job, established business) and you put it together neatly and comprehensively then it should go through smoothly.
That is just wishful thinking. US, Japan, Germany - they do what they want, no matter what you provide. It's more like lottery.

I wonder if the situation changes when you are married. Ever heard of someone that was not allowed to take his wife on a short-time trip, especially to other countries as his home-country?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 10, 2007, 3:10 pm

Bamboopaul, I haven't received any PM's from you!! :?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 10, 2007, 4:28 pm

Arjay, if the UK is like the US, I would say "when hell freezes over". Think its hard enough when its a thai wife :!:

That said would think her/your best bet is to talk to the people at the UK embassy in Vientiane, on your next trip up north. Good luck.

8)

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » May 10, 2007, 4:57 pm

Dakoda, There isn't a British Embassy in Ventiane/Laos, that's why we would apply through Bangkok, which I have already established is appropriate to do.

Even though we are officially "engaged" in Laos, I would only be applying for a "tourist" i.e. "non-settlement" type visa, so wouldn't have thought there would be so much of a problem. Neither of us want to live in England, simply to visit.

The difficulty I envisage is providing them with documentation which would show that we have been together for 2+ years and that would demonstrate to them that my GF would need or want to return to Thailand/Laos and not "jump ship" whilst in the UK!

That's why I was looking for someone with personal experience of doing that to the UK, i.e. through the British Embassy.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”