sometimewoodworker wrote:
December 5, 2020, 10:55 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
December 5, 2020, 10:47 pm
December 5, 2020, 9:23 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
December 5, 2020, 6:21 pm
I hope it never comes to this, but I think any future Visa or VISA exempt entry, Thailand might start requiring some type of insurance for the duration of stay. Again, I hope it never comes to this, but I have a feeling it just might.
It is already the case for COVID-19. That is another reason for preferring a Non-O

All The speculation regarding medical insurance apart for other extensions is in my opinion pointless, there are numerous reasons for, or against, its introduction.
Let me rephrase, health insurance.
Sure that’s exactly what I was talking about. Health insurance for visas is certainly possible, maybe likely.

For other than extensions than from OA faintly possible but not worth worrying about. It will or won’t happen and until there is something from official sources no point speculating.
It's a discussion and a point of concern.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by pipoz4444 » December 7, 2020, 12:04 pm

Hi STWW,

I don't think it is too speculative or illogical to suggest that in the future all Foreigners who to stay or live in Thailand, will be required under Thai law or immigration policy to have some degree of Medical Insurance. What is currently in place seems to apply to all foreigners (outside of Thailand) who now wish to visit or return to Thailand.

My friend has a One Year Retirement Visa (Permission) on the back of a Non Imm “O” visa, which he obtained in January 2020. Unfortunately he travelled out of Thailand in February 2020 and got caught off shore in NZ. He is due to extend his Retirement Visa for another 12 months by mid Jan 2021, but as I said, he is stranded off shore. The NZ Thai Embassy informed him that if he wished to apply to travel back to and re-enter Thailand in the next 2 months, he must have the USD 100,000 IPD plus TB 40,000 OPD Medical Insurance Policy, from one of those long stay Thai Insurance Companies, for what is his intended period of stay i.e. for the full next 12 months, before he can get a COE (Certificate of Entry Letter). So it is being applied to his Retirement Non Imm “O” Visa, granted that he is outside of Thailand at present.

Have another Irish friend stuck in IRE, who has been on a Non Imm O visa for the past five years and who regularly extended it in Udon Thani. He also traveled back and forth between IRE and Thailand 3 times a year, staying in IRE for a month at a time. He is married with a wife and child in Thailand. He too is stranded in IRE and has been told the same by the Thai Embassy over there, i.e. Come in with your Medical Insurance Policy, for his intended period of stay in Thailand, before he can get his COE to return and visit his Thai family.

Likewise for me in Qatar and another guy who recently travelled back from here to see his family last week. He had just finalized his Medical Insurance Policy with LMG 2 weeks before he travelled, for his intended period of stay (one month). He travels back and forth, on a Non Imm “O-A” Visa, similar to what I had last year.

We are all on, either, Non Imm “O-A” Visa, Non Imm “O” Visa or One Year Retirement Visas of some sort, some married with families in Thailand and some single but with ties to Thailand. Nevertheless, we are all having to take out Medical Insurance Policies, for our intended periods of stay in Thailand, before we can re-enter.

As to whether those foreigners who already in Thailand will be exempt from needing Medical Insurance, maybe. But what happens of any of those Foreigners need to leave Thailand in the future and what policy rule will be applied to them before they can re-enter. From where I sit, it appears that the moment any foreigner leaves Thailand in the foreseeable future, he or she will fall under the requirement to needing to have Medical Insurance, before he or she will be permitted to re-enter Thailand, for their respective periods of stay, much like they are applying to us who are off shore at present.

As Bob Dylan said/sang, in 1964 “The Times They are A Changin” \:D/ =D>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WD_ats6eE

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 7, 2020, 1:33 pm

Hi Phil

The insurance requirements for entering Thailand were solely introduced due to the current virus situation, only introduced to ensure that incoming foreign visitors have no negative effects in the hospitals and country. While the length of the insurance is somewhat excessive for those on longer permissions to stay they are in a minority compared to the total.

Projecting this into a permanent change is a rather large stretch to say the least.

The entry requirements for countries are often different to those living there. It’s extremely unlikely that these requirements will be long term once vaccines become available. Most likely a version of the Cypress requirements will be adopted.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 7, 2020, 7:23 pm

December 7, 2020, 1:33 pm
Hi Phil

The insurance requirements for entering Thailand were solely introduced due to the current virus situation, only introduced to ensure that incoming foreign visitors have no negative effects in the hospitals and country. While the length of the insurance is somewhat excessive for those on longer permissions to stay they are in a minority compared to the total.

Projecting this into a permanent change is a rather large stretch to say the least.

The entry requirements for countries are often different to those living there. It’s extremely unlikely that these requirements will be long term once vaccines become available. Most likely a version of the Cypress requirements will be adopted.
Hi STWW

I understand the reason for the introduction and also that for the specific entry requirement and also accept that other stay requirements can and may differ. I am just stating what is currently happening with known friends. Not quite sure what you mean by "minority compared to the total".

But I am however naturally suspicious of that which has been introduced by the TG, even though your forecast of the future may prove to be better than mine when it comes to Foreigners on other visa types.

But it remains a risk and the problem may well be when a Foreigner reaches 75 or in some cases after 70 years of age. Most of these Long Stay, Thai based Insurance Company don't appear to want to offer Foreigners any Medical Insurance Policy after 75 or even after 70, regardless of the Premium amount for that age group, unless you already have a current Thai based Insurance Policy in place, with them. This might then present a problem to some down the track.

So, what does a Foreigner do, when he is going on 70 to 75 (assuming he is on a Non Imm O Visa - changed to a One Year Retirement Visa, which needs to be extended every 12 months) and when he does not have a current Thai based Insurance Policy in place, if the TG decides to expand the requirement a Thai based Insurance Policy, to more visa groups. The Foreigner cannot object to the change in law or policy, nor even he then find a way to extend his stay in the country? Does he then pack up and leave for Cambodia. ](*,) ](*,)

I just decided to hedge my bets at this stage. Call me naturally suspicious or just cautious, in my next 12 months transition to permanently in Thailand. As you know, I have no legal ties to be in Thailand, to assist me in my reason for a long stay visa/permission to stay. :wave: I am just floating.

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 8, 2020, 4:44 am

Hi Phil
Not quite sure what you mean by "minority compared to the total".
That the rule was taking account of the expected majority of entries being those on a 90 day or shorter visa, that those who get a longer entry permission are (in normal times) a small or tiny percentage and that an “insurance for period of stay permission” was a reasonable easy requirement with only a very few needing long insurance.

I never think of officials “planning for the long term” when a lazy “get it done for now” explanation is available.

To be sure it can morph into a plan but more often will not.

Any imposition of insurance on the majority of long term extensions requires planning by immigration at the top levels, possible? Yes of course. Likely? Not so much.

Sure most foreigners here have little influence individually but I think you may be underestimating the collective influence.

Given all of that and the inexpensive “immigration requirements insurance” that was a result of the last change a worry that current insurance is impossible is not useful as there is every chance that a new cheap insurance will be marketed. It will fulfill the requirements while leaving a large percentage to the policy holder. It won’t be a good insurance, ( every sensible person should have good plans for treatment) but will be good enough.

That is why I’m not putting energy into planning for a maybe that is extremely unlikely to be an apocalypse.

Absolutely I could be wrong and your scenario correct, only time will tell

PS there are Thailand only insurance policies that go up to 100 years old LMG is one and it costs under 17,000 pa from 76 to 100

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 8, 2020, 6:59 am

Entry age up to 75.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 8, 2020, 8:56 am

So if you are over 75 you are deported if insurance becomes compulsory

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 8, 2020, 9:01 am

noosard wrote:
December 8, 2020, 8:56 am
So if you are over 75 you are deported if insurance becomes compulsory
More likely to have an age exemption if it ever is introduced

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 8, 2020, 10:13 am

That is why it wont
75 year olds are more likey to need medical attention than 50 year olds
So who needs the insurance the most?
I know this is Thailand but that is the logic of it

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 8, 2020, 1:57 pm

Hi STWW

You are correct in that "time will tell", but governments can be less than predictable, especially with certain individual ministers of lesser IQ, making/pushing the policies. :fryingpan:

I do hope that you are correct for many others, however I remain cautious and less optimistic :wave:

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 8, 2020, 2:10 pm

Slightly off topic of Non Imm O and O-A Visas, but this was a brochure I received from LUMA,(not my first choice) and it is capped at 70 years of age, for Entry (FAQ)

PS. I am not selling Insurance :guitar: :yikes:

pipoz444
Attachments
Luma-Asia-Care-Plus-Thailand-Brochure-2019.pdf
(2.27 MiB) Downloaded 255 times

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 21, 2020, 10:47 pm

Maybe of interest to those planning to venture back to Thailand from overseas, in the next few months.

Have a friend who just got back into Bangkok last Friday, after being stranded/locked out, overseas, for the past 8 1/2 month in ......

He was on an "O" Visa which he converted to a 12 month Retirement visa, just before he got locked out of Thailand. He is now back in the land of smiles, just in time to do his 12 month extension of his Retirement Visa, in mid January 2021.

Yes, he had to buy 12 months of Medical Insurance from one of the Long Stay Insurance Companies (did it on-line), one with specific Covid-19 Cover, (cost him over B 60K), as part of his overall process to get his documentation through the Thai Embassy in ......., so that he could get his Fit to Fly and Certificate of Entry letters from the Thai Embassy. That's because he was going back/travelling on a 12 month Retirement Visa, with the intention to stay another 12 months in Thailand, and he was travelling on a one way ticket from .......... to Thailand.

Yes he booked his AQS Hotel in advance, as part of that Thai Embassy documentation process. But it was with one, that allowed his to only have to put down a B 10,000 Deposit, via Bank Transfer to the Hotel. Then the Hotel issued him with his AQS Booking confirmation letter. The Hotel allowed his to pay the balance (another B 40,000) when he arrived at the Hotel in BKK. This Hotel is in Sukhumvit.

He also had to fly from ...... to Hong Kong, to link up with and transfer onto, a "Repatriation Flight" heading back to BKK via HK. The transfer through Hong Kong was smooth, but came with a 5 hour stopover in HK. #-o :sleepy: :sleepy:

He was not tested for Covid-19, at Suvarnabhumi Airport, when he arrived. But he was tested at his AQS Hotel on Day No. 2 :-$

Said Suvarnabhumi Airport Arrival Hall was packed to the rafters (midday arrival on Friday) with his Plane, Emirates Airline, Qatar Airline and one other, all parked at the incoming Gates, with all the arriving passenger (100's of people) in the Arrival Hall, together. He said, if he didn't have Covid-19 before he arrived, he had a very good chance of catching it in Suvarnabhumi Airport Arrival Hall. Took 4 hours from when he entered the Arrival Hall, to when he was cleared/released, before he got on the Bus departing to his Hotel. Process was OK but very slow, with all the arriving repatriated Thai's being cleared first. :confused: :confused:

Now safe in his Hotel Quarantine, with 11 days left to go, before being released \:D/ \:D/ =D>

pipoz4444

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 22, 2020, 7:01 am

Great update on procedures, thanks. Makes sense not to test on arrival if they can't easily separate pax on multiple flight arrivals around the same time. The first test in ASQ is good enough IMHO.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » December 22, 2020, 7:52 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
December 21, 2020, 10:47 pm
Maybe of interest to those planning to venture back to Thailand from overseas, in the next few months.

Have a friend who just got back into Bangkok last Friday, after being stranded/locked out, overseas, for the past 8 1/2 month in ......

He was on an "O" Visa which he converted to a 12 month Retirement visa, just before he got locked out of Thailand. He is now back in the land of smiles, just in time to do his 12 month extension of his Retirement Visa, in mid January 2021.

Yes, he had to buy 12 months of Medical Insurance from one of the Long Stay Insurance Companies (did it on-line), one with specific Covid-19 Cover, (cost him over B 60K), as part of his overall process to get his documentation through the Thai Embassy in ......., so that he could get his Fit to Fly and Certificate of Entry letters from the Thai Embassy. That's because he was going back/travelling on a 12 month Retirement Visa, with the intention to stay another 12 months in Thailand, and he was travelling on a one way ticket from .......... to Thailand.

Yes he booked his AQS Hotel in advance, as part of that Thai Embassy documentation process. But it was with one, that allowed his to only have to put down a B 10,000 Deposit, via Bank Transfer to the Hotel. Then the Hotel issued him with his AQS Booking confirmation letter. The Hotel allowed his to pay the balance (another B 40,000) when he arrived at the Hotel in BKK. This Hotel is in Sukhumvit.

He also had to fly from ...... to Hong Kong, to link up with and transfer onto, a "Repatriation Flight" heading back to BKK via HK. The transfer through Hong Kong was smooth, but came with a 5 hour stopover in HK. #-o :sleepy: :sleepy:

He was not tested for Covid-19, at Suvarnabhumi Airport, when he arrived. But he was tested at his AQS Hotel on Day No. 2 :-$

Said Suvarnabhumi Airport Arrival Hall was packed to the rafters (midday arrival on Friday) with his Plane, Emirates Airline, Qatar Airline and one other, all parked at the incoming Gates, with all the arriving passenger (100's of people) in the Arrival Hall, together. He said, if he didn't have Covid-19 before he arrived, he had a very good chance of catching it in Suvarnabhumi Airport Arrival Hall. Took 4 hours from when he entered the Arrival Hall, to when he was cleared/released, before he got on the Bus departing to his Hotel. Process was OK but very slow, with all the arriving repatriated Thai's being cleared first. :confused: :confused:

Now safe in his Hotel Quarantine, with 11 days left to go, before being released \:D/ \:D/ =D>

pipoz4444
Out of curiosity, did the 60k baht cover both medical insurance and covid-19 insurance?

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 22, 2020, 10:07 am

What age is he

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 22, 2020, 10:58 am

noosard wrote:
December 22, 2020, 10:07 am
What age is he
Hi noosard he is 70

Hi Ken6583, for him at 70 years old, it was actually just over B 63,000 for the Annual Premium, with a B 200,000 Deductible/Excess, per claim. The Policy Plan provides you with "In Patient" Annual Limit of B 3,500,000 + "Out Patient" limit of B 40,000 and then also specifically states, coverage for Covid-19. It is the Visa Friendly Plan with Pacific Cross

If you are 64 years old and opt for the Visa Friendly Plan with PC, then the Annual Premium costs are around,
B 70,214 with no Deductible/Excess
B 52,660 with a B 40,000 Deductible/Excess
B 47,395 with a B 100,000 Deductible/Excess
B 42,129 with a B 200,000 Deductible/Excess
B 35,107 with a B 300,000 Deductible/Excess

I verified these Annual Premium cost figures for age 64, for this particular Policy Plan (Visa Friendly) with the Insurance Company, when I was looking around for Insurance last month, as one of my options.

You can access PC via the Long Stay Link and get quotes from them for various insurance plans, with varying Deductible amounts, within 48-72 hours. Conditions (such as a pre-medical check) come with some, normally depending on how old you are. If you are under 65 years old, there is no need for a pre-medical check to start this Plan with PC, just an on line application giving your medical history.

Hope this helps

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 22, 2020, 11:13 am

tamada wrote:
December 22, 2020, 7:01 am
Great update on procedures, thanks. Makes sense not to test on arrival if they can't easily separate pax on multiple flight arrivals around the same time. The first test in ASQ is good enough IMHO.
He gets a second and final test on day 14 or 15 of his quarantine period.

So only two tests in AQS and then he is paroled :wave: :wave:

His costs all up, including the Covid-19 Test before Departure, Embassy Fees, Flight (Premium Class one way), Medical Insurance and ASQ Hotel, around USD 5,750

But at least we know it is possible to get back at this time, if you wish to endure the process

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » December 22, 2020, 4:15 pm

Correction, his first Test in ASQ is on Day No 5 and he thinks second one will now be on Day No 13 or 14, so that he can escape ASQ on Day No 15.

And Cathay Pacific were the airline from HK to BKK, for those wishing to book a flight, in the future

pipoz4444

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 5, 2021, 2:16 pm

went in today Tuesday the 5th of January to do my annual O-A Extension of Permission to Stay. Spent 55 minutes across the street at K-Bank getting my Letter and Account Statement (300 Baht) then got in to Immigration at 11:55. The lady took my paperwork, spent 30 seconds ruffling through it, said, "everything OK come back at 1PM." Walked over to Landmark, grabbed some lunch and went back at 1PM. Less than 10 minutes later walked out with everything done, Extension and Multiple Re-Entry Permit. One minor glitch. It seems the fellow who was collecting the money couldn't do his math right.. Quoted me 5800 baht for the 1900 extension and 3800 baht MRP.. Corrected him telling him in Thai that 1900 and 3800 equals 5700. Two of the other female officers snorted, rolled their eyes and I handed the guy 5700 baht... One other minor glitch but not a show stopper was the IO told me that my Pacific Cross Health Insurance policy (which I received my e-mail yesterday) was not in the "system." They merely cautioned me to have the Insurance Company get the info in there and gave me my stamps.. Guess it must be a common occurrence...
Dave

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 5, 2021, 6:09 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
January 5, 2021, 2:16 pm
went in today Tuesday the 5th of January to do my annual O-A Extension of Permission to Stay. Spent 55 minutes across the street at K-Bank getting my Letter and Account Statement (300 Baht) then got in to Immigration at 11:55. The lady took my paperwork, spent 30 seconds ruffling through it, said, "everything OK come back at 1PM." Walked over to Landmark, grabbed some lunch and went back at 1PM. Less than 10 minutes later walked out with everything done, Extension and Multiple Re-Entry Permit. One minor glitch. It seems the fellow who was collecting the money couldn't do his math right.. Quoted me 5800 baht for the 1900 extension and 3800 baht MRP.. Corrected him telling him in Thai that 1900 and 3800 equals 5700. Two of the other female officers snorted, rolled their eyes and I handed the guy 5700 baht... One other minor glitch but not a show stopper was the IO told me that my Pacific Cross Health Insurance policy (which I received my e-mail yesterday) was not in the "system." They merely cautioned me to have the Insurance Company get the info in there and gave me my stamps.. Guess it must be a common occurrence...
Hi. so you needed Pacific Cross Medical Insurance to get you O-A permission to Stay, extended. Can I ask what amount of Annual Limit.......B is needed and whether you need to have both Inpatient and Outpatient cover to .......B

Pipoz4444

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”