Thailand visa and Immigration forum
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 30, 2020, 7:12 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 30, 2020, 7:01 pm
Thanks STWW

One thing my friend did tell me was that his Medical Insurance Policy (Worldwide) is not from one of the 13 No Insurance Companies, that are listed in the Link, as "participating in the Scheme under the Thai Government Long Stay Visa programme". So I don't know how relevant it will be or how important that might be for his Application. :confused: :-k

Or if you can outside of the list of the participating 13 No Insurance Companies and choose you own different Insurer.

LINK: https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

pipoz4444
Unless he can get his insurance company to fill in the form specifically designed for foreign insurance company's. His insurance will not be accepted, it makes no difference if the cover is greater than required.

Even if he can get the form filled they may refuse the extension. They already sound like a bit of a rogue office as the 800k is required for 2 month not 3

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 30, 2020, 7:26 pm

STWW

Thanks

Will keep you posted on his success or otherwise, by end June

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » May 31, 2020, 2:11 pm

Different immigration office but, I specifically queried in KK in February whether my present, very comprehensive, insurance would allow me to get an OA. They gave me a list and said I could only use the ones listed

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 31, 2020, 7:19 pm

samster wrote:
May 31, 2020, 2:11 pm
Different immigration office but, I specifically queried in KK in February whether my present, very comprehensive, insurance would allow me to get an OA. They gave me a list and said I could only use the ones listed
Hi samster

Was it the same Companies as listed in the Link: : https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa - the 13 No Insurance Companies, who are participating in the Scheme under the Thai Government Long Stay Visa programme

pipoz4444

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 31, 2020, 7:32 pm

Yes
They are the only ones accepted by Thai Immigration internally
If you were able to apply for your visa in your home country your Thai Embassy would accept an valid local insurance policy
and stamp your visa accordingly, but it is a one time deal on renewal it is the Thai Insurance.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 31, 2020, 8:01 pm

samster wrote:
Did you ask if the verification document that is available from immigration would be acceptable. You may not have known that there is a document and immigration may also not have known of it, you would have had to show a copy to immigration to get a definitive answer.

As I have mentioned before direct questions get answered. Other Less direct questions may get a “NO” until a different direct question gets asked.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 1, 2020, 1:17 am

Yes Pipoz, same list.

No, STW, I wasnt aware of the form but, gave them a copy of my insurance policy. The guy disappeared into the back room and came back 10 mins later with a "not ok".

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 1, 2020, 6:22 am

samster wrote:
June 1, 2020, 1:17 am
Yes Pipoz, same list.

No, STW, I wasnt aware of the form but, gave them a copy of my insurance policy. The guy disappeared into the back room and came back 10 mins later with a "not ok".
That answer could as easily have been
a (we can’t easily find the information we need so we say no)
as a (we have completely checked the document and it not OK, so we say no)
or a (You don’t have the additional official form for the insurance to be accepted, so we say no)

As it’s a department of health document immigration may well not have copies of it. Immigration officials are not well known for suggesting alternatives, so I am not surprised it was not mentioned even if it is enough to make the answer a yes.

If you want to try again here is the official form that they may accept if your insurance company will complete it.
31162B09-8A95-45B2-81D3-157EAE6576DE.png
Here is the printable high quality version
overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf
(130.81 KiB) Downloaded 198 times

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 1, 2020, 2:31 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 1, 2020, 6:22 am
samster wrote:
June 1, 2020, 1:17 am
Yes Pipoz, same list.

That answer could as easily have been
a (we can’t easily find the information we need so we say no)
as a (we have completely checked the document and it not OK, so we say no)
or a (You don’t have the additional official form for the insurance to be accepted, so we say no)

As it’s a department of health document immigration may well not have copies of it. Immigration officials are not well known for suggesting alternatives, so I am not surprised it was not mentioned even if it is enough to make the answer a yes.

If you want to try again here is the official form that they may accept if your insurance company will complete it.

31162B09-8A95-45B2-81D3-157EAE6576DE.png

Here is the printable high quality version
overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf
Thanks STW. I wasnt aware of this form.

The issue is a little more complicated as I have insurance under a very comprehensive annual travel policy as part of a bank account. There is a limit of 90 days cover per trip. In the 6 plus years I have been out here, when I know a trip is 90 days plus, I have extended the cover.

The presence of cover could easily be verified when reporting to immigration but, I understand that Thailand must impose a one size fits all criteria so, wasnt going to argue the case if this was the issue (it wasnt!)

The official I spoke to was quite clear and was either unaware of the form or didn't want to help. I've no problem with his attitude and am happy they are trying to impose insurance requirement which are readily identifiable.

Doesnt help my situation but, mai pen rai! I'll speak to my insurers to see if they will complete the form and take it from there when I'm able to come back home.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 1, 2020, 3:51 pm

samster wrote:
June 1, 2020, 2:31 pm
[

Thanks STW. I wasnt aware of this form.

The issue is a little more complicated as I have insurance under a very comprehensive annual travel policy as part of a bank account. There is a limit of 90 days cover per trip. In the 6 plus years I have been out here, when I know a trip is 90 days plus, I have extended the cover.
Having enough information now I wouldn’t bother to go back as it’s absolutely clear that your insurance is not good enough. The requirement is for a 1 year medical Insurance. Travel insurance is never going to be enough unless you have a 1 year cover.
samster wrote:
June 1, 2020, 2:31 pm
Doesnt help my situation but, mai pen rai! I'll speak to my insurers to see if they will complete the form and take it from there when I'm able to come back home.
As I mentioned above you are out of luck.

Your best course of action is to get Thai insurance with the highest deductible possible and rely on your travel insurance to cover that.

You may even get the premium under 10k

A further point. Immigration never gives an OA visa, so what do you have and what do you want?

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 1, 2020, 6:29 pm

I went to see if it was possible to extend existing visa and, if so, what I needed. They were friendly as always and, no issues.

After that I had intended to start again anyway and, recent events, make this the only option anyway.

Thanks for suggestions.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 1, 2020, 8:20 pm

samster wrote:
June 1, 2020, 6:29 pm
I went to see if it was possible to extend existing visa and, if so, what I needed. They were friendly as always and, no issues.

After that I had intended to start again anyway and, recent events, make this the only option anyway.

Thanks for suggestions.
Visas are never/can never be extended.

Permissions to stay are able to be extended.

From your question so far it seems likely that you entered Thailand with a Non-OA. If that permission to stay is still valid you can extend for retirement with insurance or, if Married to a Thai, you can extend with no insurance needed.

If the permission to stay has expired you can still try but there is no information on people under the amnesty getting or not getting extensions.

You may need to leave once the amnesty finishes. Getting back once you leave is a much less certain situation, there is Official speculation But nothing definite, I don’t expect to see anything until mid July or later if the ban and amnesty is extended Again.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 5, 2020, 2:15 pm

samster wrote:
Just another update: Same, just a few days ago at another T O Office, down south of Bangkok.

A friend trying to get his Non Imm O-A visa, extended for the first time (for Retirement purpose), had his International Insurance Policy cover rejected at the TIO and was told to go away and get it from one of the 13 No Insurance Companies, listed as participating in the Scheme under the Thai Government Long Stay Visa programme". Appears from what he said, they didn't want to discuss or consider that Form. :-k

So looks like it could now be TIO Policy all round, either go get your Medical Insurance Cover (if you want to extend your Non Imm O-A for Retirement), from one of those 13 No participating Insurance Companies, in the Long Stay Visa programme link or just F..Off. :-$ :-$

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 16, 2020, 4:55 pm

Just an update

Friend, who was on a Non Immigrant O-A Visa for the past year, which was originally due to expire in late June 2020, lodged his Application in July, to move over to/onto, his One Year Retirement Visa/Permission to stay, using his existing International/Overseas Medical Insurance Cover, which is not one of the 14 Companies listed in the Link below.

They (Thai Immigration at the Office down South) accepted his Overseas Medical Insurance coverage and he now has his one Year Retirement Visa

https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on August 16, 2020, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 16, 2020, 5:22 pm

^ Where's "down south" FFS? We're among friends here so being specific helps even if it includes the use of a friendly agent.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 16, 2020, 6:18 pm

tamada wrote:
August 16, 2020, 5:22 pm
^ Where's "down south" FFS? We're among friends here so being specific helps even if it includes the use of a friendly agent.
Phuket

And he lodged the Application with the Thai Imm Office, himself, with the assistance of his Thai Girlfriend in tow. No Agent involved. Mind you he went there about 4 times to do it, for various documentation issues, but eventually he seems to have got it right

He only had the O-A for the one year. He never extended it into that second year, as some do. And yes he had to have his B 800,000 in the Bank, in his name only. They told him it could not be in joint names, with his Squeeze.

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 20, 2020, 10:59 am

For those interested, in order to move from the Non Imm O-A visa to the One Year Retirement visa, the Medical Insurance purchased, was actually titled Thailand Long Stay Insurance (no mention of Covid 19 cover though)

He is 68 years old and not married to a Thai. The Inpatient Limit B 400,000 and the Outpatient Limit is B 40,000 and policy was purchased from R.... for Expats and the premium paid was B 44,000 (paid yearly) for the most recent renewal

R... for Expats are not in this list, https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa but are apparently accepted by Thai Immigration

pipoz4444

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 20, 2020, 12:16 pm

^ In Phuket.

Meanwhile, in Udon with the current regime in place, YMMV.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 20, 2020, 3:00 pm

tamada wrote:
August 20, 2020, 12:16 pm
^ In Phuket.

I am sure it does, however, I was trying to understand and explain what might be or is the actual current process for someone who is currently on shore (in Thailand) sitting on an O-A visa, and getting to the end of his first or second year extension on that Non Imm O-A Visa and who is then possibly contemplating changing over to Retirement status.

I was also particularly interested in what type/limit of Medical Insurance, Thai Immigration might ask him for, when he did the switch from O-A to Retirement, under today's rules. :-k

As it turns out, he got away with, the very Basic Long Stay Medical Insurance Cover - B 400,000/B 40,000, which is different from/less than that, for anyone trying to re-enter Thailand today, for any Long Stay reason or who is traveling on a Work/ Resident Visa.

From what I read, Foreigner's trying to renter Thailand today for whatever reason, need to have USD 100,000 Policy Limit plus specific Covid-19 cover. That same USD 100,000 Insurance with Covid-19 Cover, for someone 68 years old, will cost about B 80,000 - 85,000 instead of the TB 44,000, he paid.

So, we have two Long Stay Insurance rules, one for those already in the Country and another for those wanting to get back into the Country. He who leaves (if he is 68 years old) and then tries to come back may well find himself paying B 80,000 for his Long Stay Medical Insurance Cover to get back in, because he right to re-enter will not be decided at Udon Thani, it is decided at the Thai Airport in Bangkok. :-k :-k

Just my read on it.

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 20, 2020, 3:44 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
August 20, 2020, 3:00 pm
tamada wrote:
August 20, 2020, 12:16 pm
^ In Phuket.

I am sure it does, however, I was trying to understand and explain what might be or is the actual current process for someone who is currently on shore (in Thailand) sitting on an O-A visa, and getting to the end of his first or second year extension on that Non Imm O-A Visa and who is then possibly contemplating changing over to Retirement status.

I was also particularly interested in what type/limit of Medical Insurance, Thai Immigration might ask him for, when he did the switch from O-A to Retirement, under today's rules. :-k

As it turns out, he got away with, the very Basic Long Stay Medical Insurance Cover - B 400,000/B 40,000, which is different from/less than that, for anyone trying to re-enter Thailand today, for any Long Stay reason or who is traveling on a Work/ Resident Visa.

From what I read, Foreigner's trying to renter Thailand today for whatever reason, need to have USD 100,000 Policy Limit plus specific Covid-19 cover. That same USD 100,000 Insurance with Covid-19 Cover, for someone 68 years old, will cost about B 80,000 - 85,000 instead of the TB 44,000, he paid.

So, we have two Long Stay Insurance rules, one for those already in the Country and another for those wanting to get back into the Country. He who leaves (if he is 68 years old) and then tries to come back may well find himself paying B 80,000 for his Long Stay Medical Insurance Cover to get back in, because he right to re-enter will not be decided at Udon Thani, it is decided at the Thai Airport in Bangkok. :-k :-k

Just my read on it.

pipoz4444
You are confusing the 2 insurance requirements, there is only 1 requirement for long stay + 1 for every foreigner entering Thailand.

Those extending from an original OA entry for retirement must have the type of insurance your friend bought (there is a much cheaper option than he paid at about 12,000 with a 200,000 excess)
Also if you have an OA visa or re-entry permit from an OA Visa/extension of stay and enter Thailand you must show the insurance you got when you got the visa or extension.

Any foreigner entering Thailand must have insurance that covers COVID-19 (it can be limited to COVID-19 cover) $100,000 minimum. It is not completely clear how long this needs to be valid for, 30 days maybe enough.

So the figures you quoted are at the top end of what you need to pay. Of course you will have more coverage the more you pay.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on August 20, 2020, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”