New Visa Old/New Passports

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
mkhtk

New Visa Old/New Passports

Post by mkhtk » May 29, 2019, 3:11 pm

I've been living in Thailand for 15 years and just run into a possible problem I haven't had yet.

So here's the situation:

I had to leave thailand and go back to the states due to a family medical emergency recently. When I returned my passport just had 6 months left on it so immediatley when I got back I applied for a new one and luckily just recieved it on Monday.

My 1 year non-0 multiple entry marraige visa expires on June 1. Which is Saturday so I am leaving for savanaket tomorrow May 30th to renew it thursday/friday.

I went to the local immigration office to get my stamp transferred today wednesday, and depsite it not being an official gov holiday on the calendar it's closed.

So if i go to mukdahan/savanaket with my old passport, new passport and letter from embassy asking to transfer the stamp, will I have a problem exiting the country withouth having actually transferred my stamp first?

To me it makes sense that I wouldnt as my old visa is about to expire so the exit stamp would just be placed in my new passport. Although things rarely work here how I expect them to, in fact normally just the opposite.

I'm hoping I dont need the transfer first since my visa expires saturday and the following monday is a gov holiday it would mean going to mukdahan and getting rejected, waiting till tuesday and overstaying 3 days then driving back to mukdahan on Wednesday to do my visa again.

Anyone info would be greatly appreciated.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Re: New Visa Old/New Passports

Post by karonsteve » May 31, 2019, 9:26 pm

The following happened to me many years ago in Phuket so the information may be very dated.
I went to Immigration in Phuket town to transfer my O visa to my new passport. The officer noted that I only had a few days to go before I had to do a 90 day border crossing so he told me to save my 1,900 fee to transfer and get it done at the border. When I crossed at Sadao I was told to go into an office rather than a booth where they transferred the visa and stamped me out for free. Painless and quick.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: New Visa Old/New Passports

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 1, 2019, 10:04 am

Visas are never transferred into a new passport, only permissions to stay and extensions of permissions to stay.

FWIW a Visa or permission to stay remains valid even if the passport it is in is no longer valid, cancelling the passport has no effect on the term of current stamps in the passport.

There is no need at all to transfer the permission to stay stamp in your case, just carry both passports with you. You will be stamped out of Thailand in your new passport, they may/will put in a matching entry stamp.

It is not unusual for people to carry both passports through immigration and not bother to transfer anything. Certainly with a multiple entry Visa it is the only way you can continue to use it.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”