Udon immigration, not busy!

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Udon immigration, not busy!

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

I am going to need to renew my marriage extension expiring in just over 30 Days. So I called to check if 1) a witness is still required given the current situation and if 2) 30 days early is still the case.

The answers were
1) yes, exactly the same as last year.
2) yes as we are not very busy now.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Udon immigration, not busy!

Post by rick » April 15, 2020, 11:04 pm

Check had a friend who went last Friday? and there was only one other person doing extension ......... social distancing measures in operation.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 11:29 am

In immigration at the moment. Not so quiet but everything going quite smoothly, no wait to be seen, out in under an hour with 60 days under consideration stamp, 30 days after my extension finishes, so no benefit to going in early

One further datum point I was not Asked to show my bank balance during the under consideration period.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on April 16, 2020, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 16, 2020, 11:51 am

I Believe You DON'T Have to go to Immigration to EXTEND Any Visa's in the present circumstances while the Emergency Decree in force, They DON'T Want Immigration Offices Crowded with people for OBVIOUS Reasons !!

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 16, 2020, 12:17 pm

747man wrote:
April 16, 2020, 11:51 am
I Believe You DON'T Have to go to Immigration to EXTEND Any Visa's in the present circumstances while the Emergency Decree in force, They DON'T Want Immigration Offices Crowded with people for OBVIOUS Reasons !!
Yes you do.
All people on Retirement/Marriage or work visas still have to go in person to extend the visa for 1 year.
The only ones who do not have to appear are people on Tourist visas etc who have to do a border run.
They have been granted a 60 day extension or until the borders re-open

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 2:57 pm

747man wrote:
Apart from the point that no visa is ever extended, Pal52 is correct. It is only those who are on short term permissions to stay from a border pass, visa or visa exempt entry And only those whose permission to stay are dated to finish between March 26 And April 30. It is extremely likely that there will be an extension to the current order around the last week of this month.

It is very likely that if you have already had a short extension that you will also qualify but essential that you contact immigration to check.

All 1 year extensions and family visit extensions require the usual visit and paperwork, and AFIK if you are getting 90 day extensions you will also have to attend, though there are probably not many who get this extension.

There is a young lady outside the immigration office who will send you away if you do not need to go inside.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 16, 2020, 4:27 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 16, 2020, 2:57 pm
747man wrote:
]Apart from the
[b point that no visa is ever extended, Pal52 is correct[/b]. It is only those who are on short term permissions to stay from a border pass, visa or visa exempt entry And only those whose permission to stay are dated to finish between March 26 And April 30. It is extremely likely that there will be an extension to the current order around the last week of this month.

It is very likely that if you have already had a short extension that you will also qualify but essential that you contact immigration to check.

All 1 year extensions and family visit extensions require the usual visit and paperwork, and AFIK if you are getting 90 day extensions you will also have to attend, though there are probably not many who get this extension.

There is a young lady outside the immigration office who will send you away if you do not need to go inside.
Now you have me confused.
Why do I have to get my original Non O visa which I obtained my retirement extension on transferred to my new Passport when I get a new one.

If it is not extended every year on time I have to leave the country and get a new Non O visa which can then be extended.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 16, 2020, 4:46 pm

pal52 wrote:
April 16, 2020, 12:17 pm
747man wrote:
Yes you do.
All people on Retirement/Marriage or work visas still have to go in person to extend the visa for 1 year.
The only ones who do not have to appear are people on Tourist visas etc who have to do a border run.
NO I DON'T.......I'm on a Non-imm ' O ' Visa Multi Entry ( Expired in February ) And Now On the last 90 Days " Permission to Stay " Which runs out on April 30th I Was TOLD I Do NOT Have to go as I Will get a 60 Day Extension ( Due to Marriage ) Issued AUTOMATICALLY Under the emergency Decree.....Told to me by a VISA Expert !! :-" :-" :-"

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 16, 2020, 5:01 pm

747man wrote:
April 16, 2020, 4:46 pm
NO I DON'T.......I'm on a Non-imm ' O ' Visa Multi Entry ( Expired in February ) And Now On the last 90 Days " Permission to Stay " Which runs out on April 30th I Was TOLD I Do NOT Have to go as I Will get a 60 Day Extension ( Due to Marriage ) Issued AUTOMATICALLY Under the emergency Decree.....Told to me by a VISA Expert !! :-" :-" :-"
You should be sweet then, Alan.

Please get back and tell us what happens, when you next go to Immigration ie for 90 day report, or 12 month extension at the end of your automatic 60 day job, or doing a border run.

ps was your "VISA Expert" wearing an Immigration officer uniform?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 5:06 pm

pal52 wrote:
April 16, 2020, 4:27 pm

Now you have me confused.
Why do I have to get my original Non O visa which I obtained my retirement extension on transferred to my new Passport when I get a new one.

If it is not extended every year on time I have to leave the country and get a new Non O visa which can then be extended.
A visa is never extended. A visa is never renewed.

The visa is never transferred.

The information about your original permission to stay in Thailand and the visa that was used to get that permission is what is transferred into a new passport.

A visa allows you to present yourself at a border and be given permission to stay in Thailand (subject to an immigration officer’s discretion) your visa (unless it’s a multi entry) is then marked as used.

That permission to stay is extended. Take a look in your passport the annual (or other extensions) say nothing about your visa being extended. It specifically talks about extension of stay

FWIW the confusion between “permission to stay” and a “visa” is due in part to the immigration website and in part to the unusual Thai case that you can often be given permission to stay beyond your Visa expiration date and the different rules that apply. Most countries in most cases do not do that.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on April 16, 2020, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 16, 2020, 5:41 pm

747man wrote:
pal52 wrote:
747man wrote:
Yes you do.
Exactly as I stated.
You do not have to go Immigration as you do not have a 1 year retirement/marraige or work permission to stay as STWW stated.
Only people with 1 year retirement etc have to report.
You did not state which type of visa you were on

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 16, 2020, 5:43 pm

pal52 wrote:
April 16, 2020, 5:41 pm
747man wrote:
pal52 wrote:
747man wrote:
Yes you do.
Exactly as I stated.
You do not have to go Immigration as you do not have a 1 year retirement/marraige or work permission to stay as STWW stated.
Only people with 1 year retirement etc have to report.
You did not state which type of visa you were on
:-" :-" :-" :-"

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 5:47 pm

747man wrote:
There is no automatic extension for 60 days.

At the present time there is no automatic extension for any permission to stay that expires on the 30th of April or after. (This is likely to change and the present automatic extensions will be a different date)

It is clear that your “VISA Expert” is talking out of an orifice not designed for speech. Go to the immigration website the information is there.

It is probable, but not certain, that your permission to stay that expires on April 30 will be automatically extended. The automatic extension is quite likely to be until May 31st but that is only speculation until the Immigration Bureau gives an update. Also it is not at all clear that you will qualify for the extension, though you may well be covered

If you want a second 60 day extension you should contact immigration. In normal times you would not be given a second 60 day extension. I have heard that some people have been given a second 60 day extension. You will definitely not be given an automatic 60 day extension.

I would contact immigration to confirm the situation after there has been another extension given (if you call now you will not get a definitive answer) probably in the last week of this month, assuming that you qualify for the new extension you may decide to wait to apply for a second 60 day until the new extension exemption finishes.

Udon Immigration is well known for being very very bad at answering hypothetical questions.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 16, 2020, 5:54 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 16, 2020, 5:01 pm
747man wrote:
You should be sweet then, Alan.

Please get back and tell us what happens, when you next go to Immigration ie for 90 day report, or 12 month extension at the end of your automatic 60 day job, or doing a border run.

ps was your "VISA Expert" wearing an Immigration officer uniform?
STWW stated.
Only people with 1 year retirement etc have to report......They're Yer Go Jack........

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 16, 2020, 6:11 pm

STWW didn't say that - it was pal52.

If you believe he (pal52) is a visa expert, then as I wrote previously, you'll be sweet.

Don't forget to report back at the end of June.
Last edited by jackspratt on April 16, 2020, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » April 16, 2020, 6:18 pm

I really think we will see a big change coming with visas when borders re-open.

Such as Savannakhet not being allowed to give out Marriage visas without all the appropriate paperwork and Bank Statements just like Vientiane does.

The government will tighten up all foreigners entering Thailand for the foreseeable future.

Will be a big money spinner for the Immigration & Agents.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 6:20 pm

747man wrote:
April 16, 2020, 5:54 pm
STWW stated.
Only people with 1 year retirement etc have to report......They're Yer Go Jack........
Did I?

Please tell me in which post.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 16, 2020, 6:29 pm

jackspratt wrote:
April 16, 2020, 6:11 pm
STWW didn't say that - it was pal52.

If you believe he is a visa expert, then as I wrote previously, you'll be sweet.

Don't forget to report back at the end of June.
Thanks for elevating me to expert status, though I really don’t think that I qualify.

As far as I know I never give incorrect information and say if I don’t know for sure.

I do read the immigration information orders and mostly understand them, something that is not as easy as it could be, I also listen to the real experts Ubonjoe is one.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 16, 2020, 6:33 pm

Please refer to my edit - posted earlier. 😀

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2020, 6:35 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 16, 2020, 5:47 pm

Udon Immigration is well known for being very very bad at answering hypothetical questions.
Probably only surpassed by the average farang's insatiable desire to keep asking them in the first place? The cultural trait here is to think in tangibles and the "what if?" scenario is an unknown premise.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”