Source of Income

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Source of Income

Post by Brian Davis » January 18, 2021, 7:23 pm

It seemed a hot topic some time ago when Immigration was raising queries on the source of income i.e, was the money arriving in your bank account transferred from inside or outside Thailand. I don't seem to see anything about it now. Has the issue 'died' or perhaps applicants have found solutions, one way or another?
Can somebody update me? Nearing my annual visit, is Udon Immigration likely to query codes appearing on bank statements/books, which indicate an in-country transfer of money into my account? If it matters, I intend to apply for an extension of stay, based on marriage and income.
I do have alternatives, but wondering if I have to bother using them.

rick
udonmap.com

Re: Source of Income

Post by rick » January 19, 2021, 3:24 pm

No change as far as i know. If the codes against your monthly entries are 'local', unlikely to be accepted. Your bank if asked in advance should be able to provide evidence showing that the transfers did originate in a foreign country. I use the cash in the bank method, which i thought would be less problematical - until this year .....

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 19, 2021, 4:36 pm

I use BahtSmart (AUD-THB) to transfer 65K each month. Just print off my "dash board" statement from them. No problem with Imm. they compare the monthly deposits on my KBank statement with the print out. No questions asked as to where my income in Aus. comes from.
Did my last extension a few weeks ago.

Edit:- Just to add; BahtSmart transfers the funds out of their account in Chang Mai so it looks like an internal transfer. The turn around is a few hours on week days once one has transfered the AUD into their Aus. ANZ account. Costs about 1.57% of the bench mark rate or 1050 Baht for 65K.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 19, 2021, 5:10 pm

Thanks for your responses. I also received a PM which included "I do not believe that Immigration have ever scrutinised where income has come from for Married extension with the same effort that they put into retirement extensions.
Which makes sense, I guess, as, on a Marriage extension, it is possible to have a work permit & be legally, gainfully employed in Thailand. Something that is impossible on a Retirement extension."
The PM also gave a couple of examples of different treatment, dependent on the type of extension requested.
I'll go with that, providing only the normal bank letter and statement. IF they 'bounced' the marriage on income application, I can refer them to the previous year's request approved with my 'special' letter, OR just say the lump sum is permanently there.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”