Renewing the extension on a Non O Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
papaguido
udonmap.com

Re: Renewing the extension on a Non O Visa

Post by papaguido » July 23, 2009, 10:25 am

laphanphon wrote:
every 90 days to Thai Immigration OR MY LOCAL POLICE OFFICE
agree, has always been on the books, but you are the first to report that it is possible, thank you for info. a bit more dependable than mail ins, though never had a problem with them either. but instead of spending 10 minutes at post office, and crossing finger, spend 10 at UPD, and no worries, i like it, thanks again. :guiness: :guiness:
Just curious, but where did you see that. It's not stated here:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en ... age=90days

Your not confusing it with this:
Notification of residence of foreigners for businesses

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national." If there is no immigration office in the province or locality of the respective house or hotel, the notification is made to the local police station. In Bangkok the notification is made to the Immigration Bureau. The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.
The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

* In person at the respective office, or
* Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
* By registered mail, or
* Via internet.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 23, 2009, 11:14 am

papaguido wrote:
Oh-oh Jimbo,

If you haven't done a 90 day report of staying, you might want to take a look at this link. Hopefully you can convince the Imm people it was just an misunderstanding. If they determine you haven't reported the fine is 2000bt for failing to report.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en ... age=90days
You mean I'm now an illegal alien? :yikes: I wonder if the Thai government will now give me benefits and free medical care like the US government does for their illegals? :D

Seriously, that conflicts with the guidance I got from the Thai consulate general in Los Angeles, in writing. Here's the link that clearly states that I can report at the police station in my residence area. I discussed this very point with the consul at the time:

http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im-oa.htm

It's down towards the bottom of the page under "Recommendations for the Alien".

The link from Immigration says "Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days". I am on an O-A visa and my visa is stamped for permission to stay for one year, at which time it has to be renewed, so why would I have to notify that I am staying over 90 days? But there I go, applying logic to the Thai immigration process. There does seem to be a conflict in the guidance. That's the first time that has ever happened in Thailand. :^o

All I know is that at the PD I get a form entitled "Receipt of Notification", signed and stamped, and the officer told me to be sure and keep it with my passport. I think I will just wait until visa renewal time and plead my case. But thanks for the info, I will continue to do some research into this.

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » July 23, 2009, 11:45 am

Consuls have nothing to do with reporting and often provide incomplete or false information. You need to be using a TM.47 form and reporting to Immigration if you stay longer than 90 days in Thailand. Fine for not doing so can be 5,000 baht and a daily fine of 200 baht until you do so. Although the normal fine if you report (not arrested) is 2,000 baht. This is being enforced more tightly each year.

Did you fill out a TM.47? Your previous post says "RECEIPT OF NOTIFICATION OF ALIEN'S ADDRESS" but your last post changed it. The bottom of the TM.47 should say "immigration officer" where signature is required.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 23, 2009, 11:56 am

1. Every 90 days, the alien must report to the Immigration office or the police station in the alien’s residence area.
from jumbo's link LAX Thai embassy which usually has better up to date info. knew i wasn't senile yet, knew i saw it somewhere, as i use to refer to that site alot.

guess we will find out when he renews, if a problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 23, 2009, 12:14 pm

Yeah sure LA, make me the guinea pig. :D

Lop, I did not fill out any forms. The officer did all the writing, filling out various forms. The top of the form he gave me says "Receipt of Notification". Later below it says "Have Received Notification of Alien's Address". I can't read the signature or the stamp as it is in Thai script. Have to wait until the long haired translator gets home from work.

So I guess I better get my butt up to Nong Khai and get to the bottom of this. My next 90 day is due in two weeks, so the timing is right. Then a strong letter to the Thai consul in LA if I have been doing it wrong. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Do they let you send emails in Thai prisons awaiting deportation?

Seriously, thanks to all for all the info. This forum rocks!

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 23, 2009, 12:33 pm

GOOD LUCK [-o< [-o< , hope they accept it, as i would prefer that to mail ins. :guiness: :guiness:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 23, 2009, 12:34 pm

You in a heap of trouble, boy. Take lots of baht with you. 8-[

Have we finished discussing 90 day reports to the police and/or immigration in this visa extension thread? Interesting but off-topic. :D

I'm giving this a bump because it might prove to be beneficial to those facing the Nong Khai Four in the near future.

BANK LETTER AND PASSBOOK WEREN'T NEEDED! A NEW POLICY BY IMMIGRATION?
More changes. Went to Nong Khai Immigration this afternoon to renew my Non-immigrant O-A (retirement) visa and was loaded for bear, had two copies of everything required. The kindly gent who sits next to the window took care of me. Couldn't tell if he was happy because he was wearing a mask the whole time. My paperwork started flying to the left and right in little piles until I became dizzy trying to keep up. The end result was a happy one, however. Received the stamp for another year and took care of my 90 day report at the same time.

Changes: he looked at my income declaration letter that I got from the US Embassy last year and punched in numbers on his calculator. Apparently satisfied with that figure (more than 800K) he did NOT even look at the letter I got from my bank yesterday, did NOT look in my savings passbook and did NOT look at the copies of every page from the passbook that I brought in but handed all of my financials back untouched. Nothing was even asked about our bank accounts. He said that I can use my embassy letter only one more time next year before I had to get a new one.

He did keep a copy of my yellow book and my wife's blue book along with a copy of her ID card. They did not ask to see our marriage certificate this year although last year it was required.

In and out of the place in 20 minutes. Not a bad experience at all. Hope these changes are permanent ones.
Guru Lopburi3, any thoughts in this one?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 23, 2009, 12:43 pm

jimboLV wrote: Do they let you send emails in Thai prisons awaiting deportation?
I believe the food is inedible in Thai prisons so be prepared for a substantial weight loss ! Maybe best if you order a Mixed Grill at Beer Belly Billys before you visit the Immigration people,just in case ! [-o<

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » July 23, 2009, 12:57 pm

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm28.doc
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm47.doc
http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm30.doc

Above are the three forms normally used.

TM.28 is address report for anyone staying longer than 24 hours that you file with local police station. This is not normally enforced.

Tm.47 is the form filed with Immigration when you stay longer than 90 days.

TM.30 is the form filed by home or hotel owner where you stay.

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » July 23, 2009, 1:07 pm

polehawk

As Nong Khai has often been at odds with other offices it is hard to say anything definitive but it appears most actions were as others would do.

If using 65k income method only Embassy letter is required. Some offices want to keep original however, so only able to use once. Seems they are allowing repeat usage which is good as a long trip for many to obtain letter.

Normally there is no need for housebooks (most people do not have one) but perhaps just wanted proof of residence (utility/embassy/retirement letter or such would probably work).

As wife has nothing to do with retirement she should not have to be there or submit anything.

Twenty minutes. Here in Bangkok we usually face 3-4 hour wait. Sounds like good service.

Edit: I take my bank passbook each year, but no bank letter. Has not been asked for.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » July 23, 2009, 6:15 pm

lopburi3,
Have followed your advice for several years and you are always spot on, a veritable fount of information in this area. Thank you, sir.

Jackspratt, I stand corrected. I will try doing an extension without my mommy next time. Thanks to you, also.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 23, 2009, 10:02 pm

Last time I went to do the retired extension in NK,they wanted proof of residence,therefore your wifes ID and Bluebook with her signature was required although I would have thought that the Yellow book would have sufficed!I had copies of my landlords Blue book and ID with his signature for NK,they were never asked for in Bangkok!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 24, 2009, 10:29 am

polehawk wrote: Jackspratt, I stand corrected. I will try doing an extension without my mommy next time. Thanks to you, also.
I have had a change of mind ph :shock:

If you need to pack up every piece of paper in the house, just in case immigration want to see it (should I take my grade 3 Primary School report - and yes, before others ask, I failed :lol: ), you might as well take the Mrs as well.

But drop her off at the bridge to go and do some duty free shopping in Lao (careful about the 200 only ciggies), while you duck back to Immigration for the next episode of "what will they want to see today". :D :D

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » July 24, 2009, 11:14 am

BKKSTAN wrote:Last time I went to do the retired extension in NK,they wanted proof of residence,therefore your wifes ID and Bluebook with her signature was required although I would have thought that the Yellow book would have sufficed!I had copies of my landlords Blue book and ID with his signature for NK,they were never asked for in Bangkok!
When using the 65k letter from Embassy you have your address listed on that (at least at American Embassy) and that should be all that is required.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 25, 2009, 7:54 am

These pricks moved the goal posts again.
30 days in ADVANCE !! What's this all about?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/30-Day-Ma ... 83078.html

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » July 25, 2009, 8:51 am

Went to Nong Khai Immigrations, for the 5th visa extension, yes going on my 5th year here in my home Udon Thani.

We departed Udon Thani, by bus, approximately 8:11 am, I check my phone for time. We arrived at Nong Khai approximately 9:05 am (checked the phone again for time), where the golden dragon gate is, and rode a tuk tuk to immigrations. Arrived at immigration approximately 9:15 am, wife had to go to the restroom so waited a couple of 3 minutes. Walked into the immigration sitting area, almost immediately was sitting in front of a immigrations officer. After about 20 minutes, with some light chatting with the officers, we were on our way out with a Retirement Visa for another year. We arrived back in Udon Thani approximately 10:50 am.

All the paperwork we needed, we had 2 sets, some returned to us as they didn't want them or only needed 1 copy. Wife had a copy of her housebook and ID among the paper work. They took 2 sets of copies of my bank book and my yellow house book. I had my TM 7 completed with photos stapled to the back the night before. A copy of my Letter of Income from my Embassy, letter from bank showing international transfers to my bank and the amount in the bank (which bank book had the same amount).They also made copies of pages in my passport, which is a first, showing other extension from previous times. Why they did this, I don't know and didn't ask.

All in all, it was a relaxing, constructive and productive day. We accomplished what we wanted and now to wait for next year. Oh, by the way, we had Pol. Sen. Sgt. Major Orchurn Tongsamut who did the processing....(known as Mr. Happy to others here on the forum.)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 25, 2009, 9:22 am

So Pops, in light of Dero's post above, and the information in Thai Visa he linked to, were you within the 30 day time limit ie when was your previous extension due to expire?

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » July 25, 2009, 9:52 am

Yes, and Dero is right, you can only renew the extension within 30 days now. Mine was about 2 weeks early, it was suppose to be renewed August 8th. The extension was also done at the same time my 90 days check-in was due. My 90 days was due 27th July, and extension 8th Aug. Because we have an important visitor coming on the 27th July, I needed to do it earlier or wait until the 28th July. The wife called immigrations first, to make sure it could be done that early. My 90 days check-in hasn't changed, I check-in again on the 22nd October.

Seems pretty simple to me.:)

Pop's :pirate:

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 25, 2009, 10:00 am

PopsIcafe wrote:Yes, and Dero is right, you can only renew the extension within 30 days now. Mine was about 2 weeks early, it was suppose to be renewed August 8th. The extension was also done at the same time my 90 days check-in was due. My 90 days was due 27th July, and extension 8th Aug. Because we have an important visitor coming on the 27th July, I needed to do it earlier or wait until the 28th July. The wife called immigrations first, to make sure it could be done that early. My 90 days check-in hasn't changed, I check-in again on the 22nd October.

Seems pretty simple to me.:)

Pop's :pirate:
This leads me to believe that the TV poster is incorrect. He is saying that the visa has to be renewed in ADVANCE of 30 Days.

He is basically saying that the letter states that if yours was due on the 8th Aug it should have been renewed prior to the 8th July. Hard to believe but by his own admission English is not his first language thus could be a bit confused. We are still awaiting for him to post a copy of the material he has.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 25, 2009, 10:07 am

Pops what Dero has reported (ex Thai Visa) is that NK will only accept applications that have AT LEAST 30 days to run before the current extension expires.

For example, I understand your extension was due to expire on 8 August. However, under this new 30 day rule, you should have reported prior 7 July.

There seems to be some conflict. :-k

Edit - sorry dero, you got in before me (I was hanging out the washing) :lol:

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”