Renewing the extension on a Non O Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Re: Renewing the extension on a Non O Visa

Post by PopsIcafe » July 25, 2009, 10:16 am

My understanding is, your visa can be processed for extension within 30 days of the date it expires. If it is a support of spouse visa (marriage visa as some call it), then it would be recommended to process the extension 30 days prior to the expiration, as the visa has to be sent to Bangkok for approval.

Pop's :pirate:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 25, 2009, 10:31 am

Earlier this week I got a new passport from the British Embassy in Bangkok (old one full).
Yesterday I went to the Immigration in Nong Khai to get my extension of stay visa transferred to the new passport and was dealt with by a charming young lady sat on the left.
"Hello,welcome to Nong Khai Immigration" she said with a smile and the whole process was dealt with courteously and efficiently.
But back on thread....my visa renewal is due 8th September so I said to her "I'll be seeing you in a couple of weeks or so for this anyway."
Her reply was "No,too early.Probably best you come about 20th August."

So from that I would interpret that you cannot do your renewal over 30 days from expiry date of visa eg.if your visa expires 30th September you cannot apply till 1st September.....certainly not some time in August.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 25, 2009, 11:04 am

Correct Zidane, as per my experiences with the renewal of my Marriage Visa.This year for first time ever received letter from Nong Khai advising when visa due for renewal,option to book a time online through website but found the link not working and also advising can renew UP to a period of 30 days prior to the expiry date,for me expires 6 july yearly,letter received 10th June,chose 15th June to go to Nong Khai.
As per norm with me 2 applications filled out,one goes to Bangkok one for their files? passport stamped with wording that have permission to stay in the kingdom until 15th July ie giving 1 month for Bangkok to verify all paperwork ok and for Nong Khai to then issue renewal on 15th July.So had a stamp that is after the expiry date of my existing renewal of 6th july.
Called in on 15th July and new renewal date stamped 6th July 2010 not 15th july 2010. 8)

lopburi3
udonmap.com

Post by lopburi3 » July 25, 2009, 11:20 am

TV is not saying that about 30 days - one poster without any verification said that. As has been said above current reports appear to prove it false. I suspect there was a misunderstanding as the normal policy is within the last 30 days so a person could easily have misunderstood.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » July 25, 2009, 12:08 pm

No problems Lopburi,I will ignore some posters quoting on ThaiVisa who try to put a 'cat amongst the pidgeons' with regards to Visa issues and let the thread die a death unless it can be properly verified.
It is good that both yourself and BobHelm are forumites here for any problems with Visas. :D

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » July 25, 2009, 12:09 pm

Most of the information I post is usually from my experience or questions I have asked the Immigrations Officers in Nong Khai. As Zadine and pompui have posted the correct information....nothing more to add to it. This is the same information I received from Nong Khai Immigrations when I asked about when I could do the extension. So, if the 90 reporting is within the 30 days time frame of your extension, just go ahead and do the extension also (ask immigrations when you are there first).

Pop's :pirate:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 27, 2009, 2:22 pm

This is not off topic, but bear with me for a minute, the on topic stuff comes later. Today I went to Nong Khai Immigration to straighten out the 90 day reporting snafu discussed in this thread earlier. I explained to the officer that I had done the last two 90 day reports at the Udon police station based on instructions from the Thai General Consul when I got my O-A visa. i also told him that I now undertood that this was incorrect. I showed him printout of the page from the consul's website and he scowled, waved his arm, and muttered something in Thai, which probably could be translated along the lines of "those clueless arseholes", then said to me politely in English, "that is wrong, cannot do at police station, have to do at immigration". He then thumbed through my passport, glanced at the TM 47, took out a tiny piece of paper,date stamped it, signed it, and stapled it to my passport. He pointed out the date for my next notification and said I could do my application for extension at that time, which is due around the same time frame. There was no mention of a fine or any other sanction, and I sure didn't bring it up. So bottom line, the Consul is wrong, you cannot due your notification at the Police station. I'm not sure what kind of notification I've been doing at the police station for the past 6 month, but whatever it was, I'm covered.

Now for the on topic stuff on the visa extension.

1. I asked him about the requirement for proof of address, since I am renting and don't have a house book and my landlord lives out of the country. He asked if I lived with a Thai "friend" at that address, and I replied that I lived there with my Thai WIFE (who was siting there right next to me). He replied that my Thai "friend" could guarantee the address. Then I showed him my embassy proof of income letter, which I had already gotten notarized at the embassy, and asked if that was sufficient for proof of address, since it contained my address. He confirmed that it was.

2. He verified that I can apply for my visa extension within 30 days before it expires and not before 30 days.

3. I asked him about the rumor that they were going to open an immigration office in Udon and he said "yes, two months". I am sure this is Thai time. so don't get all excited yet.

All in all, I have to say that he was courteous and helpful, even though I was technically in serious violation. The whole process took about 20 minutes, including some chit chat between my wife and the other officers (we were the only customers at the time). Apparently they agreed with her that going to the duty free in Laos was a waste of time and money, something she has been telling me all along. She doesn't care for Laos. So I abandoned my plans to get a reentry permit and go over the border and we went to the Tha Sadet market instead and I picked up some Lao coffee.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 27, 2009, 3:02 pm

Glad you got it straightened out w/o a hitch!I AM NOT SURE,but I believe that before this ''only go the immigration office assigned'' policy,if there was not an immigration office in your area,the police reporting would be accepted,that might be why you were not fined.

Over 5 years ago,when moving to NK,I missed my 90 report when I renewed my extension in Bangkok.I thought I would be slick and wait another 90 days and with reporting,tell NK immigration that Bangkok automatically counted my extension as my 90 day report :^o :^o

It didn't work,he would not renew it ,but told,''no problem,next time you leave the country,report after 90 days,we don't charge you the 2000B''!So I did duty store run,loaded up on spirits and beer stocks,planning on reporting 90 days later,forgot again ](*,) ](*,)

A lot of the local expats here were laughing at me because they said they never reported for years and no problem!So I let it go for a year or two,then when I heard on the forum about them tightening up,I made another ''duty store run'' and reported 90 days later ;)

I think the duty store run is a waste ,unless you just send your wife/GF across for cigs and booze,if you go and pay the visa fee for falang ,you lose all the benefits from the tax savings!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 27, 2009, 3:23 pm

Stan, Totally agree with your last sentence,But I only do it because I have a Non-Imm "O" Multi entry,on which I get 90 days on entry EACH time,So on the 89th or 90th day,Rather than pay the 1900 baht for 30 day extension,I may aswell cross the bridge for 35 USD approx 1200 Baht,Buy my Cigs & Wine :drunk: :drunk: And get 90 Days again on my return to Thailand,,,,This normally suits me as you know I usually head back to UK Within the 2nd 90 day period.....And the 700 baht I've saved buys my "Goodies " :lol: :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 25, 2009, 6:44 pm

Went to NK today to apply for my 3rd consecutive extension based on marriage. It was a piece of cake and the only glitch was on my part. I mistakenly copied a Lao tourist visa in my passport instead of the Non-Imm "O" :oops: no problem 20bt for 2 copies of the appropriate visa.

Anyway, got there at about 1330 waited 5 min and I was called forward by an attractive SgtMaj and was greeted with a pleasant smile and asked how I could be helped (almost forgot where I was at). I replied that I was here for an extension based on marriage and her handed her 2 copies of my documentation and the originals. She went through each package thoroughly and then verified the copies with the original documentation. I noticed she didn't really take an interest in the bank letter, other than it was present. She took more time examining my income letter and ask me if I new what the current exchange rate on the dollar was, "34 I think" was my reply and with she calculated my monthly income noted on the letter. When she was done she reminded me of the date of income letter (Jun/2007) said I would require a new one next year. She briefly when though my bank passbook a against copies, satisfied she set everything aside and proceeded the stamping process which seemed like 5 minutes for that task alone. Once completed, she conducted a short interview with my wife and had her sign a letter of guarantee that we were married and living together or something to that effect. Done with that she handed me my original documentation and bank book, said that I need to return on Sept 25th and directed us to the waiting area, meanwhile my package was set on the "boss's" desk. 5min passed as the boss flipped though my documentation, she called my wife and I forward and returned my passport without a word said and didn't even ask to see my original doc's.

I provided the following documentation in support of my extension based on marriage:

a. Passport (copies)
-Main/info page
-Non-Imm "O" visa
-Current extension of stay stamp
-Arrival/Departure card (TM6)

b. Letter of Income from Embassy (good for 3 yrs)
c. Bank Letter*
d. Bank passbook
e. Marriage certificate (from US, not translated)
f. Wife's national ID and blue book (house book).
g. Kids birth certificates.

* The bank letter, I don't see the importance of having the letter from the bank. All mine contained was a paragraph stating the current amount in my savings account, which was 14bt (as in fourteen) and something about my account was in good standing or something like that, but it was accepted without question.

Anyway, 30 min from start to finish and the immigration staff all appeared to be on happy pills, including Mr. Happy.

I know it's a long read, but hopefully somebody out there finds the info useful.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 25, 2009, 7:00 pm

Up to date information is always useful papa. As is the attitude that the Nong Khai Immigration staff appear to be showing towards their "customers". So thanks for writing up your experience.
Glad you were so easily sorted for another 12 months, must be a relief. :D
I think lomburi said, in another thread. that the vital document was the "Statement of Income" from your Embassy (if you were going the monthly income route) & the bank details incidental - something you seem to have conclusively proved. :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 25, 2009, 7:56 pm

BobHelm wrote:Up to date information is always useful papa. As is the attitude that the Nong Khai Immigration staff appear to be showing towards their "customers". So thanks for writing up your experience.
Glad you were so easily sorted for another 12 months, must be a relief. :D
I think lomburi said, in another thread. that the vital document was the "Statement of Income" from your Embassy (if you were going the monthly income route) & the bank details incidental - something you seem to have conclusively proved. :D
I don't want to take anything for granted as I still have to return next month for the actual extension of stay stamp for another year based on BKK's approval, but thanks anyway Bob. And yes, that's the impression I got from the income documentation. The Statement of Income is absolutely vital if electing monthly income and the bank passbook proves monthly deposits, but I fail to understand what the letter from the bank proves...oh well TIT.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » August 25, 2009, 8:27 pm

Can I get this straight if I deposit 400000 Baht in a Thai Deposit Account in my name(and leave it there) and have my pension paid direct approx 25000 per month into a current account per month will that be OK for a marriage visa

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 25, 2009, 8:49 pm

For an extension based on marriage the 400k baht MUST be in your Thai bank account for a minimum of 3 months.
Your extension would have to be based on money in the bank and not monthly income as 25k baht monthly is not enough.
You will have to supply photocopies of your passport including current visa page & TM6,copy marriage certificate,copy wifes id and tabien baan, copy bank letter,copy bank book, copy childrens birth certificates (if appropriate),two recent photographs of yourself..........and take all the originals with you,of course !
If its your initial extension Immigration MIGHT require additional stuff like pictures of you at the house with your house number visible and a map of how to get to your house.The odds are they wont ask for this information but their have been instances of Immigration offices in Thailand requesting it......so up to you.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » August 25, 2009, 8:55 pm

Thank you it is my intention to keep the 400000 baht there until I die a kind of insurance policy for my Wife and step daughter.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 25, 2009, 9:12 pm

No ploplem.....just happy to help a Port Vale supporter whose team are going through rough times ! 8)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

valiant
udonmap.com

Post by valiant » August 25, 2009, 9:16 pm

Thank you once again hopefully we will beat Sheffield Wednesday at home tonight and get Chelsea in the Cup
that will bring some money in.

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » September 2, 2009, 6:24 pm

I renewed my "retirement" visa today at Nong Khai based on a letter of income and I've got to say it was the quickest and easiest I've done yet. I got there around 10:15, waited about 10 minutes, was processed in 10 minutes, and then out the door. It had been posted earlier by a couple of people that with a letter of income they didn't pay much, if any, attention to the bank books or letters and there was some conflicting reports about what they wanted for proof of address. I decided to go with lots of documentation but to just give them the minimum and see if they asked for more.

My queue number was called by our friend on the right and I gave him, with relevant copies, the TM 7 application, my passport, a letter from the embassy showing income of more than 65K baht a month, and my yellow house book. And he didn't ask for anything else! Specifically, he didn't ask for anything from my bank or any copies of my wife's documents. I went by myself so I don't know if it would have been different if my wife had been there.

Besides the originals, I gave him one copy of the TM7 and two copies of everything else. Turns out he only wanted one copy of the income letter and one of the house book. The income letter was from this year and he gave the original back.

A nice thing they're doing now is to automatically update your 90 day notification. I did mine only about 1 month ago but they updated it anyway so I have another 3 months to go before I have to do it again.

So, while it's never that pleasant to have to traipse up to Nong Khai and present yourself, at least for now it's not too painful.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 2, 2009, 8:08 pm

Good one, fremmel. Congratulations. Exactly the way it was done for me a month ago with the happy guy. He is a born again Buddhist these days. Hope he's not getting ready to bail out on us since he seems to understand it all now.

Only thing I did differently than you was to go down to the river looking for Billy Bob's afterwards. Never did find it but that's a challenge for another day.

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » September 2, 2009, 8:38 pm

Polehawk, I saw your post and that gave me encouragement. But I wasn't sure if Mr. Happy had noticed that you had the letter and didn't pursue it or just didn't care. I took a chance and didn't get the letter and will put the bank's fee toward a bottle of DeWars. Also, I noticed that he was interested in your wife's blue book for whatever reason. I had a copy of that, along with the ID card and marriage certificate but didn't offer them and he didn't request them.

Long live minimalism.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”