Friendship Bridge

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Friendship Bridge

Post by BobHelm » April 7, 2008, 9:13 pm

I had to go across the bridge today to enact my second multiple entry non imm O visa. I got to the Thai side of the bridge about 10 this morning. I figured that, by then, anyone that was going to go to get a new Visa from the embassy would have been & gone, so it would be nice & quiet. Was I wrong :( :( Great deal of people queuing but I guess that Asians out numbered Falang 5 to 1 at least. As you can imagine it was the same when I got to the Laos side as well. Left Laos at 1.00 this afternoon & it was still busy when I got to the Thai side to come back in, but this time only 3 Falang in the queue everyone else was Asian (& there is a separate queue just for Thai passport holders - so all non Thai.
Really all I am asking was I just unlucky with the length of the queues or is it always like this now???

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 7, 2008, 10:44 pm

My wife goes across maybe once a month to get me duty free stuff. The last time she went, a Monday, she said the bridge was very busy. Also, today was a holiday.
Usually when I drop her at the bridge, she goes, shops, and is back within
1 1/2-2 hours.
So, I guess the answer is, don't go on Mondays or holidays.
I think the best time is before 9am.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 7, 2008, 10:59 pm

Think you were just unlucky,Bob.....I've never had it like that !
Last time was just over 3 weeks ago.Exited Thailand about 11am....only about ten or so people waiting on the Laos side for Visa on Arrival.
Waited for about 20 minutes for that then hardly any queue to enter and exit Laos.
A bit of a queue to re-enter Thailand but was back just after midday.
In the past its taken me about an hour and a half so this was the quickest.
I think yesterday was Chakri day so today may have been the holiday for it (with yesterday being Sunday,if you see what I mean ?)
I'm sure 90 days from now you will fare better. :D

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » April 8, 2008, 10:00 am

Speaking of a VOA in Laos how much is it in Baht now? I have to do a 90 day run Thursday (my first) and I would like to how much money I need to bring.

After my run I think I'll try to post "Border run 101" just like an earlier post I did on how to get a Thai drivers license.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 8, 2008, 10:31 am

"Normal hours" 1500 baht, or 30 USD (I think, on the USD as I have never used to cross). Extra charge of 200 bhat if you forget to take a photo... :D
Pretty simple, go to a window (the right hand one is best as that is for return of passports & so never a queue) & ask for the forms. You will receive two... one is the visa application, which you must fill in, hand into the left hand window along with passport, photo & money!! Guy will check & then tell you to wait for its return from the right hand window!! If you like you can now fill in the other form which is the arrivals/departure card. By the time you have nearly completed that your passport will appear (by a hand waving it in the air - no verbal confirmation, so you have to keep an eye on that window all the time - especially as they do not come out in the same order they go in) you will have a full page visa stamp in your passport & need to add the number of it to your 'arrivals/departure' card.
The actual passport processing is pretty dam quick, mine was about 10 minutes max - queuing up to hand over the form & passport is the time consumer.
Now you have your visa & passport back proceed on round to get immigration to give you an entrance stamp - more (usually long) queuing.
When you have your stamp proceed on to pay what I think is a 'customs' fee - 50 baht for Falang, 20 baht for Thai. You will receive a ticket as proof of payment, put it in your passport because in another couple of steps you will meet a policeman at a barrier & he will want to look at it all - this only takes a couple of seconds though. Now you are in Laos & in the middle of all the Tuk Tuk & taxi drivers!!!!!
If you are not going into Laos then you can ignore them all & wander towards duty free. Do some duty free & then cross back over & get an exit stamp & clearance. This is not as time consuming as waiting to get in but there are usually a bit of queuing.
WARNING it is VERY easy to completely by pass this exit process which won't cause you any problems until you try to get back into Laos the next time!!!
I also know that some people have done the visa bit then by passed the actual entry & exit stamp. There is a notice (in English) at the visa processing stalls that says if you do this now & get caught you will be fined 100 USD.....

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 8, 2008, 10:34 am

Thanks jingjai & zidane, I forgot it was a holiday!!! :(
Now I understand why I was charged 20 baht for the bus over the bridge from the Thai side (15 baht + 5 baht 'overtime') but only 15 baht on the way back from Laos.
We will see how Thai_1_on fares..... :D

donthani
udonmap.com

its hall here

Post by donthani » April 8, 2008, 10:52 am

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » April 8, 2008, 12:10 pm

Good post Bob,

Just a couple of points, and hints,

1, The fee for the Visa for English & Euro passport holders is $35, (get dollars
before you go) 1120Bht!!!

2. The fee that your charged if you don't have photo, is $1.

3. The queue for passport entry stamp, which as you say, can be long winded, can often be avoided . as you approach the three immigration boothes, to your left is the currency exchange window, just past there you will see a small window which is also another boothe, which few people realise, there is never a queue at this window!!!! this can save you a lot of time.

4, If you do, in-advertaintly bypass the exit proceedure from Laos, you may find that you will have a problem also re-entering Thailand! :D :D :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 8, 2008, 1:01 pm

Thanks Ralph. 3 is a real good tip, I always thought that one was just for Thai temporary passport holders, I will try it next time.
Not sure is you would get a problem going back into Thailand with no Laos exit visa (depends on what day you catch them on I guess) but you will get a hell of a problem 90 days later when you try & re-enter Laos.... :D :D

The only other thing I would like to add is that all this is a pretty painless process, boring & sometimes time consuming but no pressure or problems on the Laos side if you just follow the quite simple steps... :D

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » April 8, 2008, 1:56 pm

Yes agree Bob,
Very boring. I was doing border runs monthly, the other way round, (Laos to Thailand) for five years, right hissed me off! :lol: :lol:

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 8, 2008, 7:44 pm

It is pretty boring,true,but spending an hour and a half every 90 days doing this is no great hardship......although Bob might disagree after yesterdays experience :(
Me and the missus generally make a day out of it in Nong Khai.....have a stroll around the Indo-China market and a bite to eat & a couple of Beer Changs at one of the restaurants overlooking the river.
Theres a newish Vietnamese restaurant that is very good.....just before the market starts and next to,I think,Mekhong Guesthouse.

Zidane

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 8, 2008, 9:03 pm

Naw, Zidane, I can take the boredom now, it seems to be the excitement I can't handle anymore.... :D :D
Agree Nong Khai is a nice place to while away a couple of hours, especially if you like to eat fish (which i do), some great & cheap places looking over the Mekhong. Haven't tried the Vietnamese place yet though.... Is it good enough to warrant a trip from Udon just to 'fill in a quiet day' or only if you are there already???

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 8, 2008, 11:19 pm

2 maybe minor things to consider... If in the complex go to one of the photographers and get a shed load of passport size photos. I even wore a shirt and tie so as not to look too suspicious to the Lao customs people. I went to a place on the 3rd floor called professional photos and they take about 20... sorry can't remember the amount but not too expensive... Handy for visa runs.

Secondly wear a hat or use an umbrella as the last day I went it was hot... VERY hot. It was a busy day and the queue was long and took ages... I used a book as a fan but it didn't stop me getting sunburn on my face, nose and ears. I was like a comic-relief fire truck.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 8, 2008, 11:37 pm

Good tip off about the photos IA,have used that place a few times.

i had several done, i am sure the Lao officials won't think i am suspicious.
Think i might need a hat though....

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » April 9, 2008, 12:57 am

I got this hat in Centrepoint... Only 80 Baht.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 9, 2008, 4:05 am

You was Robbed IA....Image
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » April 9, 2008, 1:13 pm

Bob Helm wrote:Is it good enough to warrant a trip from Udon 'just to fill in a quiet day' or only if you are there already ???

To be honest,Bob,I wouldnt say make a special trip just to go to the Vietnamese restaurant......if you are doing a visa run or,heaven forbid,have to visit Nong Khai Immigration then its well worth trying along with doing a bit of shopping.
The restaurant does very well and is usually packed,particularily at lunchtimes,food was excellent.

Zidane

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 9, 2008, 2:41 pm

Irish Alan wrote: Secondly wear a hat or use an umbrella as the last day I went it was hot... VERY hot. It was a busy day and the queue was long and took ages...
I seem to remember a thread, about a year ago?
A guy dropped dead, standing in the sun, waiting in one of the queue's at the bridge.

keg
udonmap.com

Post by keg » April 9, 2008, 8:47 pm

I made the run Tuesday last week and it was one hour and 45 mins total starting at 10 am. I was also only charged 20 baht for the entry fee for Laos. Never heard of the 50 baht farang price, has anyone else been charged a farang price? Don't forget each bus ride is now 20 baht each way and bring your own pen to write with.

Craig

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 9, 2008, 9:13 pm

AH, Craig, I may have it wrong as I had the Thai GF with me as well - she doesn't have a passport, just a temporary 3 day thing. I was charged 20 baht & 50 baht. So the 50 baht must have been for her - case of Laos overcharging Thai :D :D
Are you sure that the bus is now 20 baht??
As I said, I was charged 20 baht going to Laos, but 5 baht was a 'overtime fee' as it was a Thai National Holiday. On the way back I was certainly only charged 15 baht...

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”