Alcohol sales online ban starts ....

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Alcohol sales online ban starts ....

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 30, 2020, 8:25 pm

Just a heads up .. only 7 days until the on line sale and advertising alcohol ban starts ... midnight on the 7th Dec 2020 to be exact... that is the 90 day period since it was officially announced in the Royal gazette (8th Sept 2020).

Not sure how strictly it will be enforced but any alcohol business websites and/or FB pages etc being used offering booze of any kind for sale or promoting deals etc need to be aware ... im assuming this will also cover fora such as UM Thai Visa etc etc when members post pics .. strange times.

more details here , was also in the Bangkok Post

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... december-7

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Barney
udonmap.com

Re: Alcohol sales online ban starts ....

Post by Barney » November 30, 2020, 9:17 pm

Would the telephone sales be classed as online?
Surely the companies tried to fight back.

Maybe just need to regionalise and send to warehouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 30, 2020, 9:46 pm

you 'drink' old speckled hen and eat pickled eggs .

You need to watch what you are saying from next week Dean, maybe use imbibe, most will not know what you mean.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 1, 2020, 6:25 am

Barney wrote:
November 30, 2020, 9:17 pm
Would the telephone sales be classed as online?
Surely the companies tried to fight back.

Maybe just need to regionalise and send to warehouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only effects on line sales , advertising , marketing and promotions Barney .. most importers have already ditched / closed down their business websites and FB pages etc .. our company has operated without any on line activity for over 3 years and deal direct with customers on an account basis. This is aimed at the on line alcohol purveyors such as Wish Beer, Beervarna etc but also drags into the equation bars pubs and restaurants who use mainly FB to advertise their beverages offerings...

Regional warehouses didnt work for us , we stopped carrying stock locally and hold it in 2 central warehouse in Bkk , sell to order and pick up , hence my numerous sortees to the metropolis .. added bonus more regular containers with smaller amounts but more varied products means we always pick up products as they arrive into the country so the exp shelf life dates are at their max .. last week the Belg beverages we collected had a 2025 date...which our customers love.

It will be interesting to see what guidelines come out with reference to what can or cannot be posted on a pub , bar or restaurant FB page and for that matter a public forum.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 1, 2020, 6:37 am

What a crock. Ciggies behind shutters, no images of bottles or alcohol containers to be displayed in public. Meanwhile, wholesalers are allowed to operate with their shutters rolled up and pallets of beer and clearly labeled boxes of all sorts of other alcoholic beverages piled on the sidewalk. Maybe someone should report them to the cops?

I read it's the PM's opinion that online sales may not be observing the same hours that retail alcohol sales are legally obliged to do. What next? Can't transport alcohol between 2 pm and 5 pm?

Meanwhile, ThaiBev and Boon Rawd, possibly the largest domestic beer producers haven't said a thing about these new laws. Unmarked lorries and hiding something in plain sight is all a bit strange IMHO.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 1, 2020, 7:10 am

All the lorries , signage and advertising bill boards all have had the word MINERAL added ... and the reason all the big boys moved into the bottled water business a while back... transporting isnt effected UNLESS the vehicle used has booze logos on it ??

Its ok to show booze on shelves and in fridges ...just not on line images.. its crazy TIT

DM

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 1, 2020, 7:52 am

AlexO wrote:
November 30, 2020, 9:46 pm

You need to watch what you are saying from next week Dean, maybe use imbibe, most will not know what you mean.
Yes I know just mentioning the name of a beer could be construed as advertising/ promotion ,especially if your a bar or restaurant. There is also the issue of ' happy hours' being advertised. Definitely going to be hard on business
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 1, 2020, 8:05 am

papafarang wrote:
December 1, 2020, 7:52 am
AlexO wrote:

Yes I know just mentioning the name of a beer could be construed as advertising/ promotion ,especially if your a bar or restaurant. There is also the issue of ' happy hours' being advertised. Definitely going to be hard on business
Just what the bar n restaurant sector DONT NEED ..along with covid closures no tourists no customers ... now hands tied on advertising via FB etc really is another nail in the coffin lid ... the mom n pop shops will carry on regardless as no online required /used with copious amounts of Thai beer n spirits flying out keeping the big boys on top.

Happy hours advertised on line are a big no no .. also on chalk boards etc .. BOGOF is a thing of the past !! as are hotel buffets with free flow wine .. OMG

DM

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 1, 2020, 8:51 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 1, 2020, 8:05 am
papafarang wrote:
December 1, 2020, 7:52 am
AlexO wrote:

Just what the bar n restaurant sector DONT NEED ..along with covid closures no tourists no customers ... now hands tied on advertising via FB etc really is another nail in the coffin lid ... the mom n pop shops will carry on regardless as no online required /used with copious amounts of Thai beer n spirits flying out keeping the big boys on top.

Happy hours advertised on line are a big no no .. also on chalk boards etc .. BOGOF is a thing of the past !! as are hotel buffets with free flow wine .. OMG

DM
Yep you can't even mention you have the cheapest beverages ,even a customer mentioning it could bring the five-O to your door ,absolutely crazy . my wife post a few pics on Facebook and I'll make sure no bottles are in sight from now on.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 1, 2020, 9:52 am

We can always speak in tongues so to speak and your recent imported canned beverage offerings could be described as "fart water" and the other one as "chocolate fart water'.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » December 1, 2020, 10:34 am

tamada wrote:
December 1, 2020, 9:52 am
We can always speak in tongues so to speak and your recent imported canned beverage offerings could be described as "fart water" and the other one as "chocolate fart water'.
Only when combined with pickled eggs :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 1, 2020, 10:49 am

Stout = fat water.
IPA = jingly water.
Lager = piss water (too easy)
Dark lager = brown water.
Guinness = black water.
Cider = pom water.

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » December 1, 2020, 11:08 am

Come on kopkei where is if you not like the rules here then go home or do you only do it to selected people ie not part of your clique ? You did it to me when informing of payment restrictions which affect almost everyone but not say it for alcohol advertising which only affects vey small number of business people .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 1, 2020, 12:28 pm

You missed

Local Thai generic offerings Leo Chang Singha and EVEN Archa tho that really should not be on the list ..Tatty Watter

DM

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 1, 2020, 2:08 pm

it is one of the so many in this case absurd new rules in los , after 19 years here i am not surprised anymore , if they would enforce the most important rule not to sell alcohol to minors (under 20) you would not need any other restrictions , many of these absurd rules here,some more ridiculous than others , about many things ....and yes ,if you are unable in following a country rule,you should leave as i did with my birth country , i would not feel at ease in a country where i would be eating my heart out due to the many rules and restrictions bothering me ...
i have accepted the TIT phrase long time already ...so many of these stupid rules are not really bothering me ,
but i understand it can be difficult for some ...
and can you enlighten me what clique i am member of , i hardly know anyone here? ... ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 1, 2020, 2:42 pm

dragonz wrote:
December 1, 2020, 11:08 am
Come on kopkei where is if you not like the rules here then go home or do you only do it to selected people ie not part of your clique ? You did it to me when informing of payment restrictions which affect almost everyone but not say it for alcohol advertising which only affects vey small number of business people .
Not so .. just about everyone of the following business owners most of whom have a website and FB page to advertise their business... let alone the thousands of customers who use their services and follow the advertising looking out for promos and new products.

Online retailers
Importers / distributors
Bars
Pubs
Restaurants
Go Goes
Beer Gardens
Night Clubs
Hotels
Resorts
Supermarkets

DM

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » December 1, 2020, 2:51 pm

correct dm , and during these covid times where anyone doing business is affected by lower sales , they must make it worse by implementing a rule that will damage business more, so shooting in their own foot again or better said the foot of the working class trying to survive ...TIT... :(

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 1, 2020, 3:40 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 1, 2020, 12:28 pm
You missed

Local Thai generic offerings Leo Chang Singha and EVEN Archa tho that really should not be on the list ..Tatty Watter

DM
non of the above taste anywhere near as good as "tatty water" (Potcheen)

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 1, 2020, 5:08 pm

Lots of bars in Pattaya are advertising “virtual” bell rings for absent customers live streamed & paid through PayPal.
Notwithstanding what a sad sack of 5hit you’ve got to be sitting in your underpants in your mums basement to pay for a mention on YouTube by a floozy necking a shot of water pretending it’s tequila, it seems to be the only income stream some bars have so they may finally be forced to close after hanging on by the skins of their teeth when the ban finally comes in.

Disclaimer
This is just an observation & no negativity is implied so while I am clearly part of the ‘World is NOT Against Me’ clique it does not promote membership to any other clique least of all the ‘Successful Users of Lazada’ & ‘Easy Bill Payers’ cliques to name but two.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Return to “Thailand Law”