Estate Planning

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
sunbeltnortheast
udonmap.com

Estate Planning

Post by sunbeltnortheast » September 16, 2006, 2:47 pm

Regarding the estate-planning question.

This is a very important issue in Thailand, especially with foreigners from common law countries (e.g. US, England, and Australia.)

The law of trusts derives from the English common law (though it is now mostly codified into statute.) Thailand is a "[civil] code" country so trusts are not allowed.

If you are a foreigner from a common law country and you have assets in both Thailand and your country of origin, I strongly advise against executing a Thai will without first considering the effect it will have on your non-Thai assets and non-Thai estate planning documents. For example, if you already have a will in your country of origin (which disposes of your non-Thai assets) and then execute a Thai will, it could be said to have revoked your existing foreign will, depending on the circumstances.

Unfortunately, I have heard that there are some companies and organizations in Thailand that would put your entire estate-planning scheme into jeopardy by convincing you to execute a Thai will. They would do this not knowing that it could possibly revoke your existing will. Of course, you are still left with a little bit of a problem in that, as a general rule, foreign judgments are neither binding nor enforceable in a Thai court (e.g. from probate in a foreign country) although there is a possibility it could be used as evidence.

Again, the effect that a Thai will would have on you and your assets is an extremely fact-specific inquiry. If you have an estate of any size, I would recommend that you spend some time to consider your alternatives. There may be ways to organize your affairs which would not require any Thai estate-planning documents which has the added benefit of also saving you some money.

As usual, I've probably made things more complicated! ;)

Roger

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 16, 2006, 6:15 pm

:) Thanks ,Roger!You answered my question perfectly!

sunbeltnortheast
udonmap.com

Post by sunbeltnortheast » September 17, 2006, 11:29 am

BKKSTAN wrote::) Thanks ,Roger!You answered my question perfectly!
My pleasure BKKStan. Glad it helped. :)

johndischert

Re: Estate Planning

Post by johndischert » February 22, 2009, 9:44 am

I know this is an old post but there are still some questions... I do not think my situation is unusual, my wife and I own a home here and some land. If she passes first, with out a will in Thailand the home and land pass to her family. I understand if she writes a will in Thailand dis inheiriting her family and naming me as the heir I could sell the property, if not I have no rights... If this is correct can a will from the states do the same thing so there would be one document? :?

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » February 22, 2009, 12:24 pm

This is the reply I got to a similar question I had.

Dear Sir,

There are several ways to protect some real estate investment. In your case, I can see 2 easy documents that can be drafted.

1) A usufruct agreement would protect your interest to stay on the land and house for the rest of your life, whatever happens to your wife. But there are some problems: a) This can be done only on a title deed Nor Sor Sam or Chanotte. Not on title deed lower than Nor Sor Sam. b) If you want to refinance the property, the banks will probably not tolerate this kind of guarantee that is registered on the title deed. So, you might only have option 2.

2) A very easy way is to make a last Will. Your wife could fully decide who she wants to own the property and her estate at her death. Should something happen to her, she can decide in a Will to give everything to you, then you will have 6 months to 1 year to transfer or sale the property to a Thai person. Or give everything to her children. Then, as the father (I imagine that you are) you will be manage the property until then reach majority (20 years-old in Thailand).

Both documents can easily be made...

Regards,

Sebastian H. Brousseau, LLB, BSc.
Attorney-at-Law (Quebec, Canada) and managing director of Isaan Lawyers Ltd Co.
www.isaanlawyers.com www.isaan-properties.com www.koratmap.com

johndischert

Post by johndischert » February 23, 2009, 2:59 pm

That sums it up in a nut shell... Thanks for the information...

Return to “Thailand Law”