Car accident

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
jerrios

Car accident

Post by jerrios » May 18, 2012, 11:34 am

Hello
I have a situation and i'm looking for infos on anyone who knows about the procedure in Thailand. An uncle of mine had an accident with a motorbike in southern province near Hat Nyai. My uncle and his passenger is currently in icu but the person on the other end is fatal. My uncle is a foreigner. We have hired a lawyer to help us sort out this case since my uncle is not conscious yet so we don't know the full story. From what we understand from the lawyer he said after my uncle is discharge from the hospital he will be under police remand for 12 days. Only after that we can bail him out. Its the procedure and law and before that 12 days we can't do anything. Anyone here have any advice on this? We would like to know more so we can help all parties involve. Its already heavy on the family to deal with accidents and we at least want to understand the situation. Thank you

joepai
udonmap.com

Car accident

Post by joepai » May 18, 2012, 3:21 pm

Would suggest you talk first to his Insurance Broker as Bail Bond is included in bike insurance just for that reason i.e. keeping out of the pokey, In fact if the Broker/Insurance Company has not been told for any reason, get onto them quick as they will be responsible for paying out any damages if your Uncle was at fault.
Note : if it is found he was not at fault then the other party pays.
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

jerrios

Car accident

Post by jerrios » May 18, 2012, 3:38 pm

It was a rental car. Is it the same? Will check with the lawyer. thank you for the suggestion

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Car accident

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 18, 2012, 4:03 pm

Reading between the lines it sounds like you need advice from someone closer to the problem. Maybe you should post here:-

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/86- ... and-forum/

Guys down there will be able to advise you on lawyers etc. If it was a reputable rental company they should be fully covered if not a lawyer is your only option.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Car accident

Post by Mosquito » May 18, 2012, 5:37 pm

Search the car for the rental agreement, custody of it is important as the rental company can say anything.

Verify that rental agreement has an insurance coverage, if not clearly identified check with the rental company (good luck with this)!!!

???? What license was the uncle driving under (Thai/Internation/overseas)???

Also, you should be able to get a copy of the initial accident report to get a feel of where you stand.
Alcohol involved, who's initially considered at fault, witness statements (third party).

I hate lawyers, but would be good to retain one (with getting some advance info....ie above).

parrot
udonmap.com

Car accident

Post by parrot » May 18, 2012, 7:31 pm

If he rented the vehicle with a Visa (or other card) he might be entitled to some sort of insurance through the credit card company as well.

maaka
udonmap.com

Car accident

Post by maaka » May 19, 2012, 3:51 am

you should contact your Uncle's Embassy in Bangkok, and tell them the situation, and ask the Embassy for help..They will have done this many times before..tell them that your Uncle will need to be cared for at home, when he comes out of hospital, and that if he is held for 12 days by police that would not be good for his health..He is not going anywhere soon by the sound of it..., so the police should not fear him running away..
I do not know your nationality, but if you are a farang, then I would phone some farang lawyers at Siam legal.com, or Isaanlawyers.com for a different legal opinion..

If it was me, I would also go and see the family of the motorcyclist, light some incense, and share a moment with them, but of course this may cause problems if they blame your Uncle..

fatbob
udonmap.com

Car accident

Post by fatbob » May 19, 2012, 6:44 am

maaka wrote:If it was me, I would also go and see the family of the motorcyclist, light some incense, and share a moment with them,
Under no circumstances visit the family, the worst advice I have seen posted for a long while. Contact your embassy, and seek legal advice and do what thet tell you only, I wouldnt bother with a forum for advice.

sarahgadon

Re: Car accident

Post by sarahgadon » September 6, 2018, 5:19 am

First, you must inform your Uncle's insurance company. Because if your uncle is innocent in the police investigation, he must be entitled to compensation. The responsible party will pay for it. As soon as possible consult with the lawyer, tell the insurance company about the accident.

Return to “Thailand Law”