Udon Lawyer with a Notarial Commission

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
tamada
udonmap.com

Udon Lawyer with a Notarial Commission

Post by tamada » January 24, 2017, 9:18 pm

I will require my UK passport and Thai Driving license notarised for UK banking proof of foreign domicile (again!). I know a lawyer in Pattaya that has a valid notarial commission so it is a one-stop job. In case the pedants at the UK bank wonder why I am using a Chonburi lawyer to notarize an Udon Thani address, I am wondering if there's an Udon lawyer with 'two hats' so to speak. I already have my yellow book translated (in Udon) so would just need the Thai DL done as the UK bank won't accept the yellow book but will accept the DL.

I am aware that Thailand is not signatory to the international Hague Apostille Convention but I would rather the bank work that one out for themselves.

Thanks!
tam

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Lawyer with a Notarial Commission

Post by Nigglyb » January 25, 2017, 12:43 am

Isaan Lawyers in Nakhon Ratchasima recently notarised a document for me which was accepted in a U.K. court
Admittedly it wasn't anything to do with what you're doing but it was a legally accepted notarisation. I did everything by email & post if that helps
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 25, 2017, 5:44 am

I recently had to confirm my address with HSBC, they advised me to get letters sent to my home address ( Thailand ) from the British government, ( tax /pension ), it was so they ( HSBC ) could if they wanted to check on the validity of the information. This was for a EU directive which asks all banks to be able to verify the address of its customes, no matter where they are.
Although they stated they were happy where I lived, they could not prove it.
All the documentation was clarified by a Video Phone call to them ( paid by them ) and the matter was sorted.

The problem withy anything Thai , is it needs to be translated, so in talking to the bank they listed documents , that proved my address, and a Driving licence was not amongst them.
So Tamada, before you go down that route perhaps another conversation with your bank could prove more enlightening.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 25, 2017, 6:52 am

I have just had the same problem with Royal Bank of Scotland Jersey.
I got my passport notarised here in Udon but they would not accept it.
I had to go to the British embassy in Bangkok to get it certified (1150 baht).
Even then the bank contacted the British Embassy to check that the person who certified it actually was employed by the Embassy.
As proof of address I sent them a Bank statement from my HSBC Bank in Singapore which was posted to me & they accepted this as proof of address.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 25, 2017, 7:31 am

As a further note, if I did not have the capability of a Video Conference, they would accept the documents sent by registered post , including a copy of the passport, no need to get notarised, just send the bloody things. Some banks are with it, some are not maybe yours is in the 19th century time warp.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 25, 2017, 1:41 pm

Khun Paul wrote:As a further note, if I did not have the capability of a Video Conference, they would accept the documents sent by registered post , including a copy of the passport, no need to get notarised, just send the bloody things. Some banks are with it, some are not maybe yours is in the 19th century time warp.
Thanks for the info KP... we are dealing with the same bloody bank!

I will send you a PM.

tam

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 25, 2017, 1:55 pm

Interesting!!

I am also with HSBC but I have not received this request.
How long ago did it happen??

As it happens, both the UK Pensions service, Her Majesty's Customs & Excise & Lloyds TSB all send mail to the Thai address that is the same as my HSBC address.
Most (but not all - Debit Card, for example :D ) of my communications with HSBC are via email/web site though...

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 25, 2017, 2:47 pm

Khun Paul wrote:I recently had to confirm my address with HSBC, they advised me to get letters sent to my home address ( Thailand ) from the British government, ( tax /pension ), it was so they ( HSBC ) could if they wanted to check on the validity of the information. This was for a EU directive which asks all banks to be able to verify the address of its customes, no matter where they are.
Although they stated they were happy where I lived, they could not prove it.
All the documentation was clarified by a Video Phone call to them ( paid by them ) and the matter was sorted.

The problem withy anything Thai , is it needs to be translated, so in talking to the bank they listed documents , that proved my address, and a Driving licence was not amongst them.
So Tamada, before you go down that route perhaps another conversation with your bank could prove more enlightening.
Hi KP... ignore (most of my) PM!

The bank has said they will accept the Thai DL as long as I can provide a translation thereof although they have suggested I not act on that request until they finish talking with the Pro Consul some time today. I despair sometimes and really hope that they are aware of time zones but not counting on it!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 25, 2017, 2:49 pm

pal52 wrote:I have just had the same problem with Royal Bank of Scotland Jersey.
Even then the bank contacted the British Embassy to check that the person who certified it actually was employed by the Embassy.
As proof of address I sent them a Bank statement from my HSBC Bank in Singapore which was posted to me & they accepted this as proof of address.
I have PM'd you since I an having the same rigmarole from the same bank.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 25, 2017, 2:53 pm

BobHelm wrote:Interesting!!

I am also with HSBC but I have not received this request.
How long ago did it happen??

As it happens, both the UK Pensions service, Her Majesty's Customs & Excise & Lloyds TSB all send mail to the Thai address that is the same as my HSBC address.
Most (but not all - Debit Card, for example :D ) of my communications with HSBC are via email/web site though...
It seems pretty scattergun Bob. I initially updated my addresses on the RBSI account (of 30 years standing) about 4 years ago and that opened a can of worms. However, the latest rash of banks getting all worried about account holders bona fides seems to have kicked off in 2015/16. It looks like it may depend on the banks domicile but can vary between branches of the same bank in different domiciles, ie. Isle of Man versus Jersey versus Guernsey.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 25, 2017, 3:25 pm

Ah, OK thanks Tam.
I guess that I will have to do my usual 'wait & see' then.. :D

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 25, 2017, 4:14 pm

Tamada

Did your bank provide a list of people whom could notorise your documents internationally?

I just had my passport and Thai driving license notorised by the lawyer within the translation shop 2 doors right form the front of the Landmark building. I didn't need to translate the address on the Thai license as was only providing ID. They can do this though.
They can just red stamp themselves for general Thai stuff, but I needed a lawyer for my financial transactions with my Australian superannuation companies.
Be sure to have the correct wording required , eg "certified true copy of license or passport"....
The lawyer also provided her Thai Law degree/certificate and copies of her ID.
The service was not cheap but I had to have it done and involved the transfer of a large amount of money in Australia.
All notorised doc's were accepted with no challenge in Australia.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 25, 2017, 4:37 pm

Barney wrote:Tamada

Did your bank provide a list of people whom could notorise your documents internationally?

I just had my passport and Thai driving license notorised by the lawyer within the translation shop 2 doors right form the front of the Landmark building. I didn't need to translate the address on the Thai license as was only providing ID. They can do this though.
They can just red stamp themselves for general Thai stuff, but I needed a lawyer for my financial transactions with my Australian superannuation companies.
Be sure to have the correct wording required , eg "certified true copy of license or passport"....
The lawyer also provided her Thai Law degree/certificate and copies of her ID.
The service was not cheap but I had to have it done and involved the transfer of a large amount of money in Australia.
All notorised doc's were accepted with no challenge in Australia.
Yes Barney, they provided a very comprehensive list of all sorts of people but it is based on UK entities such as an employee of the same bank seeking the data, any 'high street' bank manager, director, manager or officer of a regulated financial services company, senior civil servant, member of the judiciary, policeman, etc, etc.. In other words, pretty much nobody in Thailand with the added issues that non-English documents present. They seem to have comprehension issues with the fact that Thailand is a different country with its own language and non- Roman script. In short, they don't have any comprehensive list of international endorsers which for an international bank seeking verification of foreign abode is totally arcane.

I managed to do my annual taxes in Vietnam with a sworn affidavit of my UK passport witnessed, signed and notarized by a Thai lawyer in Pattaya. The Vietnam tax man accepted that. However, this UK bank initially stated it wasn't possible for them to verify who the Pro Consul at the Embassy in Bangkok is but now they reckon they are going to call them and check. Hopefully they will get a green light on the personal ID issue and all I need is the address verification. They will not accept yellow books or pink ID cards. They need utility bills or bank statements sent to the residence address none of which apply to me. They said the Thai DL is OK and I had the Pro Consul do a sworn affirmation on that same time as the passport certification but now, belatedly, they are asking for a translation of the Thai DL as well.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » January 25, 2017, 5:49 pm

tamada wrote:
pal52 wrote:I have just had the same problem with Royal Bank of Scotland Jersey.
I have PM'd you since I an having the same rigmarole from the same bank.
Just replied your PM hope I can help

wee

Post by wee » August 7, 2017, 7:20 pm

Hi, sorry to crash this forum - I hope you can help!
Natwest bank requires me to send a certified copy of my passport:
Your supporting documentation can be certified by any one of the following:-
1. A member of staff at your local branch, your relationship manager or private banking manager (if applicable)
2. A lawyer or solicitor who is listed on a law society or bar association website
3. An accountant who is listed on the lnstitute of Chartered Accountants or equivalent recognised professional
body
4. Embassy official consulate or high commission.

1 = natwest = no
2 - any recommendations in the chonburi/pattaya/bang saen area?! (I saw Tamada mentioned this before)
3. are Thai accountants usually registered in this way?
4. expensive and time consuming and a disaster.

My other Q is do they need ALL pages? seems a bit ridiculous but am imagining the answer is 'YES'.

If you can help me with the best route to sorting this problem I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Wee

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 8, 2017, 6:44 am

I had exactly the same problem with RBS Jersey.
I emailed them a notarised copy done in Udon by a registered Notary.
They would not accept it as they need to be able to check the credentials of the Lawyer , Accountant etc in the UK.
The only route is trip to Bangkok & British embassy.
My bank stated they would accept the credentials of an Australian accountant.
My bank only needed the main page which was copied & certified by the Embassy.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » August 8, 2017, 7:38 am

Hy Guys for what it's worth ,, i've had 2 bank's contact me about getting evidence they require notarised , for proof that i live abroad etc for the purpose of taxation ,On both occasions i sent in a copy of my passport, with the word's I MR ______
do self certify that this is a true copy & likeness of the original doccument , with the words if they want me to get an authorised certification i will comply with their request as & when they deposit 100 GBP sterling to cover cost's into my UK accounts , To date on both occasions i have never recieved anything further from either of them

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » August 8, 2017, 10:06 am

Hoopoe wrote:
August 8, 2017, 7:38 am
Hy Guys for what it's worth ,, i've had 2 bank's contact me about getting evidence they require notarised , for proof that i live abroad etc for the purpose of taxation ,On both occasions i sent in a copy of my passport, with the word's I MR ______
do self certify that this is a true copy & likeness of the original doccument , with the words if they want me to get an authorised certification i will comply with their request as & when they deposit 100 GBP sterling to cover cost's into my UK accounts , To date on both occasions i have never recieved anything further from either of them
That might work in the case of proof for taxation but in my case the account had been frozen & I had to apply to reopen it so I could get my money.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 12, 2017, 11:56 pm

wee wrote:
August 7, 2017, 7:20 pm
Hi, sorry to crash this forum - I hope you can help!
Natwest bank requires me to send a certified copy of my passport:
Your supporting documentation can be certified by any one of the following:-
1. A member of staff at your local branch, your relationship manager or private banking manager (if applicable)
2. A lawyer or solicitor who is listed on a law society or bar association website
3. An accountant who is listed on the lnstitute of Chartered Accountants or equivalent recognised professional
body
4. Embassy official consulate or high commission.

1 = natwest = no
2 - any recommendations in the chonburi/pattaya/bang saen area?! (I saw Tamada mentioned this before)
3. are Thai accountants usually registered in this way?
4. expensive and time consuming and a disaster.

My other Q is do they need ALL pages? seems a bit ridiculous but am imagining the answer is 'YES'.

If you can help me with the best route to sorting this problem I would really appreciate it.

Many Thanks
Wee
Natwest accepted the passport certification that is issued by the British Embassy in Bangkok.

If they want Thai address certification, where neither property or utility bills are in your name, the only thing they accepted was a notarized translation of my Thai drivers license (Thai address is on the back). I used the lawyer on Naklua Soi 12 who is also a Thai Notary.

EQUITY INTERNATIONAL LAW OFFICE
284/69 Moo 5 Soi 12 Pattaya-Naklua Road
T. Naklua,
A. Banglamung,
Chonburi 20150, Thailand
+66-38-225-428

Return to “Thailand Law”