Renewing from temporary Thai drivers license to 5-year

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » February 5, 2008, 8:55 pm

what about if you have work pemit? do i still have to go with the owner of the house? (he is 82 old and can't walk)

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » February 6, 2008, 3:50 am

rickfarang wrote:Your story is one of the most impressive stories of mental torture and suffering through bureaucratic red tape in Thailand that I have heard! #-o

You deserve a gold star for tenacity, a congratulatory handshake and a slap on the back. =D> Image=D>

Thank you for posting this valuable information and for the very amusing detailed tale.

Now you can sit back and relax for another 5 years. :guiness:
I couldn't possibly say it any better. Great perseverance in the face of insurmountable adversity? Thanks, Mainer/Lloyd. You made it easier for those of us who followed. :D

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » February 12, 2008, 6:09 pm

Similar experience happened to me today:
Drivers license expired 8 feb, went DLT to ask for that request letter to immigration, took 2 hours to get, boss to sign letter was not around :(

The drove to Nong Khai, was lunch time, then to hear I would need a police report from my moo baan where my gf would state I live in her house (or is it the other way round since I paid for the house?) confirmed by some amphur stamps. But in the event I would be willing to dispose of 1k baht the certificate would be made up subito-presto.

1k baht lighter I drove back to the amphur, to arrive there at 15.10 and to learn they can not accept demands after 15.00.

So will see what brings tomorrow :roll:

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » February 12, 2008, 6:58 pm

From what I understand now the 1k baht I paid was for a fine "Not having registered a foreigner with form TM-30 (Notification Form for House Master, Owner or the Possessor of the Residence Where the Alien Has Stayed). We got a note in Thai for the 1k baht fine, I can not translate that...

Now this is bullsh*t, because on Jan 3d we were at immigration soi Suan Phlu Bangkok where I got my extension for retirement on a non-imm visa and we needed to fill in that form there, withouth that I would not have gotten my extension.

This I conclude from the talks I just had with the gf on all this police stuff that was discussed at Nong Khai immigration, the 24h obligation was mentionned to her.

I do believe some civil servants at Nong Khai Immigration are plain mean people :cry:

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » March 20, 2008, 8:20 pm

I need to get my first Thai drivers license. From reading these posts I see the immigration office will be a problem since I rent and my landlord will not assist me with this.
In reading the http://driving.information.in.th/extend ... cense.html page it states you will need "A certified letter of address from the applicant's embassy, or from the Immigration Bureau."
It seems to me that taking a day to fly down to Bangkok to get the certified letter of address from your embassy would aleviate the headaches that Mariner had dealing with the Nong Khai immigration office.
I've also seen posts on Thaivisa.com stating that the certified letter from the embassy is accepted at Bangkok DTL offices with no problem.

Have any of you tried using the embassy letter to get your license at the DLT here it Udon?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 22, 2008, 10:33 am

Got my 5 year license this morning. Here's an update:

1yr to 5yr

605 bt for car license
355 bt for MB license
*if address change required 50bt fee

Changing from old style license to smart card 255bt

Went to the Land Transport office, got there by 08:30 and out by 0900. My licenses expired 2 weeks ago, apparently not an issue. No issues, no drama.

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » August 22, 2008, 12:11 pm

papaguido wrote:Got my 5 year license this morning. Here's an update:
Papa,
Any paperwork required other than your 1 year license and the cash?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 22, 2008, 12:55 pm

1. Copy of passport, info page & page with visa & 1yr extension stamp based on marriage/retirement.

2. Medical certificate.

3. Expired driver license(s)

4. Proof of residence. In my case I used my yellow book, otherwise need to have proof of residency as discussed on this thread.

If applying for both licenses (car & MB) than need a copy of everything above for each license. Copy machine available on 1st floor at a cost.

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » August 22, 2008, 1:15 pm

Thanks for the info Papaguido.
I got my first 1 year license last month in Bangkok.
Since I rent, it looked like the proof of residence was going to be a hassle here in Udon. I got a certified letter of residence at the US Embassy and took that with all the other required paperwork to the main office of the Dept of Land Transportation in Bankok.
I had no problems.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 18, 2011, 11:56 am

This past Monday I renewed my one year Thai auto driver's license for a 5 year term. I went to the main Land Transportation Office (LTO) outside Udon on the road to Bangkok, but I could have done it at the office in the basement of AEK Udon Hospital. I purposely went to the main office because I was taking along a friend from the Netherlands who wanted to get his first one year Thai license. Go to the second floor and approach the counter to the left side. No need to take a number...they weren't using the que system.

For me, all I had to present were the following:

1. Passport showing the extension of my 12 month retirement visa, together with signed photocopies of each.
2. My Yellow Book (Tambien Baan for foreigners) with a signed photocopy.
3. My expiring one year Thai license.
4. A medical certificate that I obtained from a clinic near the LT office for 250 Baht (can be obtained from any clinic)
5. 650 Baht fee for 5 year renewal.

My friend had to produce the following documents for his first time license:

1. Form letter from Udon Immigration (cost 500 Baht) showing a certified address and granting permission to apply for a Thai driver's license. Applicant had to show Immigration his house purchase documents confirming his address since his Blue Book (Tambien Baan) has not been issued as yet, and then they needed a look at his passport and retirement visa.
2. Form letter from Immigration was required but still wasn't adequate for the LTO to confirm his true address, so they required the applicant to return with a photocopy of the original house owner's blue book and ID card with the owner's signature affixed to both.
3. Original International Driver's License plus the driver's license from the Netherlands (overkill IMO), and a signed photocopy of each.
4. Medical Certificate.
5. Fee for one year license (forgot exactly how much, but I think it was 205 Baht)
6. Passport showing the extension of his 12 month retirement visa, together with signed photocopies of each.

I was also given the proper instructions for obtaining a motorbike license. I should appear before 10 AM to join a group to watch a 2 hour video on Thai road rules in the Thai language, but with English sub-titles. Then I'll have to return after lunch to take a knowledge test, certain eye tests and finally a driving test around a small track on the LTO property. Lady said I could be out by 3 PM. I will go back at another date to complete this and let you know how it all turns out and what is really required when I get there. I made a copy of the Medical Certificate that I used for the auto renewal, and I can use the same one for the motorbike license as long as I don't wait too long.

Hope this has been a help to someone out there!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 18, 2011, 12:23 pm

semperfiguy wrote:This past Monday I renewed my one year Thai auto driver's license for a 5 year term. I went to the main Land Transportation Office (LTO) outside Udon on the road to Bangkok, but I could have done it at the office in the basement of AEK Udon Hospital. I purposely went to the main office because I was taking along a friend from the Netherlands who wanted to get his first one year Thai license. Go to the second floor and approach the counter to the left side. No need to take a number...they weren't using the que system.

For me, all I had to present were the following:

1. Passport showing the extension of my 12 month retirement visa, together with signed photocopies of each.
2. My Yellow Book (Tambien Baan for foreigners) with a signed photocopy.
3. My expiring one year Thai license.
4. A medical certificate that I obtained from a clinic near the LT office for 250 Baht (can be obtained from any clinic)
250bt :shock: Most places charge 60bt. You could have done a search and saved yourself 220bt :-"
papaguido wrote:If medical certificate needed, there's a clinic in town that will provided it for 30bt (as long as you're breathing, health check not done). It a few shop's over from Neeg Soon supermarket, next door to the BKK bank ATM machines.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » July 18, 2011, 12:36 pm

[quote="papaguido4. A medical certificate that I obtained from a clinic near the LT office for 250 Baht (can be obtained from any clinic)

[/quote]

250bt :shock: Most places charge 60bt. You could have done a search and saved yourself 220bt :-"
papaguido wrote:If medical certificate needed, there's a clinic in town that will provided it for 30bt (as long as you're breathing, health check not done). It a few shop's over from Neeg Soon supermarket, next door to the BKK bank ATM machines.

[/quote]

I know I got screwed Papa. Last year the same clinic charged me 80 baht. This year I complained and the girl told my wife if I wanted cheaper to go to another place. This is one that the LTO refers applicants to because it's close to their office, and the staff at LTO probably get a kick back. Last time I'll go there!

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 19, 2011, 2:44 pm

Thank you for the update, Semperfiguy. I need to renew and was unsure about the need for a medical certificate, so your recent posting was of great help.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » May 15, 2015, 9:36 am

does any body know if there any changes when renewing your 5 year licences , is it still at AKE udon , are the papers you need not changed ?? and the time they show the farang video do you still need to watch it ? thanks .

sorry i did,nt see the subject correct ( fingers to fast for my brain ) i need to RENEW my 5 year licence NOT to go from a 1 year licence to a 5 year .. :-"

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 16, 2015, 4:26 am

A year ago i had to renew my 5 year licence and was told at AEK , they couldnt do it there, as re testing was required....

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » May 16, 2015, 10:43 am

What's the deal with testing and renewals? I only remember reading about a test with about a 90% failure rate, sure hope its not that one.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » May 16, 2015, 10:59 am

rickfarang wrote:What's the deal with testing and renewals? I only remember reading about a test with about a 90% failure rate, sure hope its not that one.
NO the big failure rate was with the new driving test , not when you only need to renew your licence .

Return to “Thailand Law”