SD Cards, Memory Cards

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

SD Cards, Memory Cards

Post by pipoz4444 » February 1, 2023, 11:40 pm

Bought a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1 TB and I have had nothing but trouble with it, from day one.

Plug it into the computer and it comes up "There is a problem with this Drive...............", but it does open to Main Menu/Folders

Go into it and sometimes, when try to open a "New Folder" and the drive seems to become unrecognizable and fails to respond. The same can happen when you go into a Folder and try to simply save a Document to that folder, then it goes to "Not Responding"

Then you need to unplug the SanDisk from you computer and occasionally even then restart the computer

Have had it clear of content and reformatted and it reverts to the same "Not Responding" when it wants to. [-( [-(

It's a piece of Sh..t :-k

Pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on February 2, 2023, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: SD Cards, Memory Cards

Post by Potamoi » February 2, 2023, 12:06 am

Sounds like a fake 1TB card. Was this from a proper retail shop or Lazada/Shoppee?

I have seen the very cheap on Lazada, cheap enough to question if its legit.

Nevertheless I ordered one. Will see whenever it arrives from China with its 235 baht total price.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2023, 7:17 am

There's a 5 year warranty if you pay around 5000 baht.
Screenshot_20230202-070629~2.png
Having said that, a couple of years back there was a member who got ripped on a Seagate external SSD, bought new from a local retailer. Despite having all the appearances of the genuine article, including packaging with the Synnex holographic sticker, the plastic case held an unencapsulated 1Tb USB stick on soldered-on fly leads and a chunk of metal to give the product the proper weight of an SSD. This was discovered after having issues mounting the drive in iOS.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 2, 2023, 10:06 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
February 1, 2023, 11:40 pm
Bought SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1 TB and I have had nothing but trouble with it, from day one.
If it is genuine it should have cost about ฿4,000, if much cheaper it’s almost certainly a Chinese scam
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 2, 2023, 11:48 pm

Potamoi wrote:
February 2, 2023, 12:06 am
Sounds like a fake 1TB card. Was this from a proper retail shop or Lazada/Shoppee?

I have seen the very cheap on Lazada, cheap enough to question if its legit.

Nevertheless I ordered one. Will see whenever it arrives from China with its 235 baht total price.
Hard to tell these days

Bought us from a large Computer Shop in an up market UAE Shopping Mall.

It's in what appears to be an original box, sealed with Product Code label, indicating made in Malaysia

About to email the Contact address and tell them to take their Sh...t back.

pipoz4444

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 2, 2023, 11:53 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 2, 2023, 10:06 am
pipoz4444 wrote:
February 1, 2023, 11:40 pm
Bought SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1 TB and I have had nothing but trouble with it, from day one.
If it is genuine it should have cost about ฿4,000, if much cheaper it’s almost certainly a Chinese scam
Cost more

But not to worry, I will bin it and buy from Virgin Megastore, this next time.

Never had a problem with VM in the past \:D/

pipoz4444

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 3, 2023, 7:35 am

With regard to my earlier comment on a locally purchased fake external SSD. A lot of time went into making the packaging as authentic looking as possible. Only after opening the case and finding there was no SSD inside, did I look at the case and packaging and see tiny discrepancies. The printing on the plastic case was inconsistent and the contact information on the multi-fold, multi-lingual instruction sheet was mish mash of Dutch and Singaporean locations.

Since over 90% of memory devices offered by all premium brands are manufactured under license in China, I see part of the problem as poor oversight by some of these big brands. Every product run will have a final QA/QC check and a percentage of this memory will fail. The manufacturer should destroy these but it's possible that sub-standard stuff goes out the 'back door' and feeds the cheap memory demand.

I'm not surprised that a UAE retailer may be selling fake or inferior goods. Apart from some SD cards I bought recently on Lazada, I do my more expensive or higher-end storage purchases in the UK, usually direct from the manufacturer's own website or from Curry's.

Caveat emptor.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”