cctv system

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

cctv system

Post by tamada » February 21, 2023, 6:33 am

The technology has moved on in leaps and bounds since I last bought and installed a cctv system so seeking some guidance and recommendations here.

I want to get a system for the house and yard, minimum four but possibly six cameras (four outside, two inside) with ease of configuration, smartphone warnings and remote access/control, etc..

If anyone has bought a system recently that checks these boxes, let me know. I have two, independent wi-fi networks, both on UPS so just need something to "bolt on".

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: cctv system

Post by Potamoi » February 21, 2023, 7:19 am

I have one 13 camera IP 720p cam system at the house strung with CAT6 with a central DVR. I have another dozen cam coax system at the factory in Nongkhai. Both systems archive and can be remotely accessed with port forwarding and such but not as well as I would like.

The former was very expensive but I somehow liked the idea of using CAT 6 with Power over Ethernet (PoE) instead of coax at that time. I did plan for cameras in the original home construction so had power points up high in many places but elected to use PoE for the cameras in the end. Its DVR died after 5 or 6 years so I ended up using a 3 HDD volume on my home Synology NAS to archive video which came with additional licensing costs from Synology.

The latter system used a centralized power supply and used special coax with 2 DC wires along side making for an easier "afterthought" install. It also archived through a DVR and died as well after a few years so I simply changed it out with a better model. Cheaper than IP cams but still not optimum.

In the past year or so I installed another 5 more modern 1080p WiFi cams at the house and 2 more at the factory of which I am much more happy with the interface and picture quality. These are fixed and come with phone/PC apps so can be grouped, shared yadda yadda. The main thing is they have local storage via micro SD and a cloud subscription option. The local storage can be accessed remotely as can the live action.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1800 ... em_title.1

The downside of the local storage only option is of course if the internet is down they cannot be accessed. They use IMOU software and I am fairly happy with these much cheaper cams than my original ones. Mine have one way audio but I think there are two way audio versions out there if you plan on communicating with whomever you are watching take your sh! t. :-) There are Pan Tilt Zoom (PTZ) cameras that can be purchased for the IMOU system as well which obviously are much more expensive.

NOTE: All cameras need power at some stage somehow even the ones with long life batteries. If its a new build, I would put the sockets in at that time to give more flexibility in camera choices. Oh and my wife tells me you need to post signs warning all that CCTV cams are being used now too.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”