Google Chrome

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Techland
udonmap.com

Google Chrome

Post by Techland » September 3, 2008, 10:21 am

I always get nerved by the long time it needs for the Udonmap front page to show up in IE. Lee tried to improve this, but IMHO failed. The most important things for me, the list of latest posts, either shows up as last item or not at all (depends on the thai internet state).

Seems times are changing. Google Chrome is here and speeds up Udonmap (and lots of others) significantly. Try it!

Note: this post ahs been sent with it. Typos are caused by me, not the new browser ;-)

lee
udonmap.com

Re: Google Chrome

Post by lee » September 3, 2008, 10:26 am

Techland wrote:Lee tried to improve this, but IMHO failed.
I haven't finished yet techland, the forum was the first stage which IMO is faster than the old one, and I'm currently working on a new website layout. I should be finished in a month or two. One step at a time. ;)

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 3, 2008, 11:32 am

I've found UdonMap.com to be faster loading in both IE7 and Firefox 3. =D>

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 3, 2008, 4:54 pm

the forum was the first stage which IMO is faster than the old one
Was only thinking this earlier today after 5 or so days of the new forum it is super fast and i can click through everything in double time, don't worry about home page just get on the index page new topics/posts light up the screen with bold red ticks...if you don't have time to read them all, log off and when you log back on they are still there, pick and choose what forums you wish to view and remember not all forums show up on the Home page.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 3, 2008, 5:31 pm

Just downloaded Google chrome and gave it a test out by comparing the very slow to load nationmultimedia site and compared with Firefox it (GC) was much faster, but Udonmap is same being fast for me anyway, will keep a check on using both for comparison, but so far looks ok.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » September 3, 2008, 11:42 pm

I installed Chrome but have to admit to being guilty of being downright lazy. I went to usual websites and found I had to log in with username and passwords all over again. Some I couldn't remember... It's late, I'm tired might do it again at the weekend but maybe my marriage to Firefox is too good for me to separate from it at this time... :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 4, 2008, 3:22 am

IA...there was a prompt when after downloading and using it first time around asking if you wanted to copy bookmarks and use 'saved' passwords, will still probably keep using FF though, we get on well together..apart from when several hundred bookmarks disappeared the other day......(not the first time either) :irked: :irked: :irked: :irked:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » September 4, 2008, 9:03 am

beer monkey wrote:IA...there was a prompt when after downloading and using it first time around asking if you wanted to copy bookmarks and use 'saved' passwords, will still probably keep using FF though, we get on well together..apart from when several hundred bookmarks disappeared the other day......(not the first time either) :irked: :irked: :irked: :irked:
had the same problem before, FF crashed and I lost all my bookmarks,
now you can avoid this:
in FF, click on bookmarks and then click on - organize bookmarks-.

library will open
click on import and backup
click on backup and all your bookmarks will be saved in a special bookmarks backup folder.

I hope this will avoid a messy divorce from FF :D :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 4, 2008, 10:22 am

Thank you cookie - definitely tip of the day :D :D
Have just done it...

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 4, 2008, 10:53 am

I just downloaded it will see how it works I use safari most of the time

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 4, 2008, 3:24 pm

cookie wrote:
beer monkey wrote:IA...there was a prompt when after downloading and using it first time around asking if you wanted to copy bookmarks and use 'saved' passwords, will still probably keep using FF though, we get on well together..apart from when several hundred bookmarks disappeared the other day......(not the first time either) :irked: :irked: :irked: :irked:
now you can avoid this:

library will open
click on backup and all your bookmarks will be saved in a special bookmarks backup folder.

Thanks cookie.
Now this morning my bookmarks have gone again luckily only just started to build them up again...what is happening..??
and is there anyway to get my very long list back from last week, tried restore but drew a blank. :irked:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 5, 2008, 5:25 am

I'd be interested in hearing about the overall performance/review of Chrome. :D

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » September 5, 2008, 5:39 am

I downloaded Google Chrome yesterday, and have found that it is very fast on reloading sites from history, however, I'm finding it slower than I.E. when opening a new site.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 5, 2008, 7:21 am

RALPHCUSENS wrote:I downloaded Google Chrome yesterday, and have found that it is very fast on reloading sites from history, however, I'm finding it slower than I.E. when opening a new site.
Thanks, Ralph! That's the kind of stuff that I was interested in hearing about. :D

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » September 5, 2008, 8:06 am

Not having any problems with the Google Chrome, even the new sites open quicker than IE and Fox....using it now. I like it, but still have to use IE or Fire Fox.

Pop's :pirate:

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » September 5, 2008, 9:18 am

beer monkey wrote:
cookie wrote:
now you can avoid this:

library will open

sorry to hear about your problems BM,
Don't know exactly what happened, but if you made the back up of your bookmarks as I explained the solution will be easy:
click again to "organize bookmarks"
in library; click on "import and back up"
click on import HTML
click next on import an HTML file.
you simply select the file where all your bookmarks were saved and they will be imported in your bookmarks.
Again, I don't know exactly what you did, but I am using this new feature from firefox for some time now and it works fine for me.
Hope you will find the solution
;)

Thanks cookie.
Now this morning my bookmarks have gone again luckily only just started to build them up again...what is happening..??
and is there anyway to get my very long list back from last week, tried restore but drew a blank. :irked:

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » September 5, 2008, 1:28 pm

I'm sure there'll be issues for web designers, unless Google has adopted some IE configurations. That usually translates into headaches and "workarounds." No good. :(

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 5, 2008, 1:40 pm

it look like a new trend in computer world before it was the dot coms not it browsers I don't know if my hard drive can handle them all now I have safari I.E Firefox AOL and now i downloaded Chrome
we also have opera which I think correct me if I am wrong a paid browser and the funny part is they all take you to the same place I guess I am a sucker for the new one but I will try it out if I find it to be just like I.E it will go I also download I E 8 another joke LOL if this keeps up we are going to need 500 gigabyte H.D
chow friends Ron/Jun

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 5, 2008, 2:29 pm

Cripes Ronnie - 5 browsers :shock:

How many anti-virus programs do you have? :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 5, 2008, 2:54 pm

Jack your only allowed one anti virus because if you have more than one it will cause problems in your PC
they will get confused and create havoc so I am told computer gurus let hear from you
Chow Ron/Jun

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”