Changing default drive back to "C"

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
cyclist
udonmap.com

Changing default drive back to "C"

Post by cyclist » February 17, 2009, 8:57 pm

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO laptop(for my sins, oh how I hate computers) and a freind recently changed my default driver from the c drive to the vaio d drive because there was more memory on that drive. However I have been trying to download Yahoo Messenger but it only wants to go to the c drive. So can anybody tell me how to switch my default driver back to the c drive.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Re: Changing default drivers

Post by aznyron » February 17, 2009, 9:11 pm

well I would get a external hard drive down load every thing to that and format both C & D drives on your PC and start fresh with all your KB on one drive I never liked my HD part-ion especially now with
external HD which you can store your important files on there

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 17, 2009, 9:24 pm

Yes, there is great merit in having an external drive, but that doesn't answer cyclist's question how to ...
switch my default driver back to the c drive.
..sorry I don't know, does anyone else know?

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » February 17, 2009, 9:37 pm

Ron,
I'm like my brother when it comes to computers, a total neanderthal (is that spelt right?) and if I got an external hard drive I would probably f/up somewhere trying to do what you say anyway.

But hey, when I get a brain downloaded to my head and can understand the kb and hd i'm pretty sure you will have given me good advice.

:D :D :D

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 17, 2009, 9:56 pm

PS. I think you mean default DRIVES. ;)

I've sent Bangkok Butcher a PM. He's knowledgeable on such things. :D

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » February 17, 2009, 10:09 pm

Arjay,

Well! I did say I'm brain dead when it comes to computers, Drives, drivers, driven,hb,kd, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

But thanks for mailing the Bangkok Butcher. :D :D :D :D :D

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » February 17, 2009, 10:10 pm

cyclist wrote:I have a Sony VAIO laptop(for my sins, oh how I hate computers) and a freind recently changed my default driver from the c drive to the vaio d drive because there was more memory on that drive. However I have been trying to download Yahoo Messenger but it only wants to go to the c drive. So can anybody tell me how to switch my default driver back to the c drive.
Nothing wrong with a good old sony :).

Is it only downloads you want to direct to your c: drive, or installations as well.

Both of which (should) usually give you the option of where to save or install.

What operating system are you using, XP or Vista?

Also what browser are you using?
They all operate slighly different.

Sorry to ask for more info

arjay
udonmap.com

Re: Changing default drive back to "C"

Post by arjay » February 17, 2009, 10:17 pm

Wouldn't it have been better to have switched some of his files, data, photos music or whatever, across to the "D" drive to utilise the space there, but leave "C" as the default drive? That's what I did when my "C" drive started filling up.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » February 17, 2009, 10:43 pm

Surely when download something, you get the option where you want file placed.Usually, it will ask,this will be placed in ....C drive,next to it says "browse" then you can send it to "D"
I always send downloads to "D" as I have so much space on that.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » February 17, 2009, 10:50 pm

Hi Morti,
No options are given to me when downloading Yahoo Messenger.I think this may have something to do with Yahoo email being downloaded to my c drive and it wanting to hook up to that system in someway.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » February 17, 2009, 11:17 pm

In Firefox (I don't use IE) you have an option of where you want your downloads to go to. I just let them go to desktop then when installed I shift the original *.exe into a folder in my D partition. By default programmes do seek to go to C:

Sorry, more questions. How many partitions is your hard drive divided into? 2... C and D? Is Windows installed on C or D?

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » February 17, 2009, 11:34 pm

cyclist wrote:Hi Morti,
No options are given to me when downloading Yahoo Messenger.I think this may have something to do with Yahoo email being downloaded to my c drive and it wanting to hook up to that system in someway.
Yes! I see what you mean! I re-downloaded messenger and it does not give an option.I had a problem before where My C drive space was insufficient to download videos.I transfered some programmes over to D drive to free some space and that solved the problem. Have you checked...."my computer" right Click on disc "c" and "d" properties for space?
Other than that, Me dont know!
Last edited by mortiboy on February 17, 2009, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » February 17, 2009, 11:40 pm

I make my C drive the smallest partition with only Windows and my favourite programs on it. This time I have 2 other partitions. D for documents, photos etc then E is my biggest partition for MP3's, movie and TV series downloads.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » February 18, 2009, 6:22 am

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0 ... ID=2327972

See if this helps.I was just googling :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » February 18, 2009, 9:57 am

based on what he said about his knowledge of computers it would be much better for him
if he did NOT have his H/D partioned this way all his files & downloads would go to his C: drive
then he could send them to his external H/D so if there is a problem he could easily repair it.
many of us have different options we like I found for my self I do not want my internal H/D partioned
they have done that here in PC shops I gave it back to them and told them I did not ask you to
partioned it and I don't want it partioned when I had my computers built. BTW which I could
do my self but for 200 baht I let them do it and I can relax doing some thing else

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » February 18, 2009, 6:33 pm

Hi Alan,

Windows is installed on the c drive, I also have the d drive, memory stick e drive and dvd- drive f.

I am now going to try Firefox for the download and see what options it gives me.

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » February 18, 2009, 7:20 pm

Irish Alan wrote:I make my C drive the smallest partition with only Windows and my favourite programs on it. This time I have 2 other partitions. D for documents, photos etc then E is my biggest partition for MP3's, movie and TV series downloads.
Someone seems to have some sense. =D>

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » February 18, 2009, 8:10 pm

Marmite The Dog wrote:
Irish Alan wrote:I make my C drive the smallest partition with only Windows and my favourite programs on it. This time I have 2 other partitions. D for documents, photos etc then E is my biggest partition for MP3's, movie and TV series downloads.
Someone seems to have some sense. =D>
On occasions... ;)
cyclist wrote:Hi Alan,

Windows is installed on the c drive, I also have the d drive, memory stick e drive and dvd- drive f.

I am now going to try Firefox for the download and see what options it gives me.
I just re-read your original post. At first I thought your friend had played around with drive assignations but I think he just changed the path to where your downloads go. Frankly I do not think this is a problem. If for example you download Yahoo messenger and it goes to your D partition, when it completes just (double) click on the ysmgr_9_us.exe (or whatever it is called lately). When it is installing it should install in your C partition.

I also have a 350GB external drive but I still like to have my partitions. If for any reason your C drive/Windows installation goes awry you can re-install Windows (or Ghost back if you use it) and all your downloads are still sitting pretty and unaffected on your D partition.

cyclist
udonmap.com

Post by cyclist » February 19, 2009, 6:54 pm

Yeah Alan,

I think the problem is with internet explorer. When I changed to Firefox it downloaded stright away. So thanks for the help.

I love the boobs by the way, please, please, tell me they are not attached to your body. :D :D :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » February 19, 2009, 8:02 pm

cyclist wrote:Yeah Alan,

I think the problem is with internet explorer. When I changed to Firefox it downloaded stright away. So thanks for the help.

I love the boobs by the way, please, please, tell me they are not attached to your body. :D :D :D
Yes Firefox is the way to go... Welcome to the revolution.

Cue Jimi Hendrix.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”