Firefox what an experience

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
fremmel
udonmap.com

Re: Firefox what an experience

Post by fremmel » August 19, 2009, 7:00 am

I haven't moved to FF 3.5 yet but http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Cle ... nt+History makes it look like you can delete them, and several other things, on exit

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 19, 2009, 7:04 am

Yes you can, I did so didn't change anything for me. I'm not putting Firefox down if it would perform the tasks I need then I would use it. six week of trying It doesn't for me.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 19, 2009, 8:05 am

3.5 is running fine on one of the netbooks, forgot it was on there. no problems.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 19, 2009, 8:16 am

Hey Bump, delete FF and then reload it. I was having problems until I did this because of the recent update. I am using Vista and it tries to get you to use IE only in my opinion. Most likely you have done this but worth a try again.

Not to get off topic but Vista sucks. Have other words but not appropriate for here.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 19, 2009, 10:04 am

Thanks I will give that a try. :pirate:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 19, 2009, 10:16 am

izzix wrote:they have gotten rid of the 'delete cookies when closing FF' ,thats dumb ,i need to go back to an earlier version,now you have to manually delete them .WTF
Tools then
Options then
Privacy then
Accept cookies from 3rd. Party Sites Keep until Change from drop down menu to "Until Firefox closes"

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 19, 2009, 10:24 am

make sure you delete from control panel, then run diskclean, temp files/coolies/temp pages....then search your computer for mozilla ff and see if any residuals still there, then delete them. something obviously isn't right. if can't find and want old copy, i have 3.0. my only problem was on xp, i lost right click ability on mouse, i'm guessing the fixed that glitch, just haven't bothered to reinstall 3.5 and test, not broke, not fixing. though used a netbook last night and noticed it was using 3.5 with no issues.

works fine on vista, which i unloaded of laptop, as it was crashing unexpectedly, a conflict somewhere. but for some reason, the xp copy i put on, wouldn't authorize, and i missed a couple vista features, so i reloaded it, as bare as i could, and all is running good, FF included, and not crashes, issues. vista is fine for me, and enjoy many of the features, but again, i only use for media storage and internet, and rarely use MS programs. works and pic dispaly.. for video, i use VLC, far better than media player or real player. matter of fact, no many MS options are default, IE only for window updates, since it is self defaulting and can't figure out how to un-default it. oh well, i can live with that. though i can understand many comments about vista sucks, if trying to work or use non MS programs.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 19, 2009, 10:42 am

It is kinf of an interesting problem I can get udonmap OK it will even let me log in on the main page. Posting a response is where the problem comes in, Just takes me back to sign in page over and over again. Until it's tired of it then I get the thing that tells you to enter the special code. But then it doesn't event show what the code is LOL

LA I have no doubt that it will do exactly as you say. But, remember I don't even understand what you posted. Not your fault I just don't know that much about it. So i definetly have to work in the KISS theory, Which won't work for this can't even really explain it to a Thai tech well enough fo him to make the changes needed.

So I'm pretty much at a loss. It's start as a Firefox problem then becomes a problem with me.

But hey! it gave us something to talk about didn't it :lol: :pirate:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 19, 2009, 11:13 am

ok, control panel is located from start, there should of control panel listed, open, then got to install/uninstall programs, scroll down to mozzilla FF, highlight and will give option delete/change/repair may be options, double click and should open window, which delete should be an option, ok, ok good bye. then run discclean, again, start, possibly in accessories, or different folder, but system tools, should be in there, click that and let it open, pick drive, usually c drive, your largest if having 2, d or smaller is operating system cab file usually and small. discclean will usually have recycle bin/temp files/cookies/temp pages arlready checked, they are all fine to delete, at worst, you may have to sign into a couple sites, and first time opening a site, may load just a tad slower, since temp pages are saved for this reason.

then search your system, again at start, should be a search, 'mozilla firefox' spelled correctly, make sure searches drive c or whole system. there shouldn't be anything there, then reload FF when get a chance and hope all is back to normal. good luck, if needing any help, i can stop over some time and see if your missing doing something, and have 3.0 copy if needed, if 3.5 still have conflicts with you. good luck

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 20, 2009, 7:15 pm

Thanks LA those were good instructions easy to follow. Got the same thing lets me log in on the main page but won't let me post. Goes back to Log in, and the same cycle starts again.

I appreciate your help

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 20, 2009, 8:35 pm

Bumper this is a long shot but it worked for me. Uninstall Adobe Reader and reinstall it again from their website. I was having the same type of problems with UDONMAP.....slow loading, try to post and it said you must log in to post, when I was already logged in, lots of strange things happening. After extensive detective work I narrowed it down to Adobe as one of the suspects. Once I reinstalled it the problems disappeared. I have no idea why, but don't really care. This was all on IE, i don't use the venerated FF. So if all else fails, try it, don't cost nothing. Let me know how you make out.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 20, 2009, 8:59 pm

Sounds good I now how to unload Adobe but how to do I find it again to upload?

Use Windows to do a search for it?

Told you I wasn't the brightest bulb in the paackge. thta does sound exactly like what I'm experiencing

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 20, 2009, 9:06 pm

Yes if you do a google search you will find this:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

I would not recommend loading the google toolbar they offer, so uncheck that box. The google toolbar is full of SPAM and my firewall kept telling me that the google toolbar wanted to use my computer as a server, so I uninstalled it.

Good luck and I hope it works.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 20, 2009, 9:12 pm

I'll give it a try tomorrow thanks

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » August 20, 2009, 9:48 pm

Once again to promote Filehippo. (Do I have shares in this thing?) My favourite source for best programs and latest versions or if you wish to go back to earlier version.

http://filehippo.com/

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 21, 2009, 11:48 am

Man I almost had a heart attack I opned it up musxt haev been six adobe files. So I'm top see the wizard accidentally deleted file that wasn;t adpbe. Screen came up a total blur. I amost choked. 8-[ Finally got to system restore and got to back.

I'll try it again. I hope I am doing the right thing taking out all the adobe files?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 21, 2009, 11:53 am

Or even better advice - uninstall the bloated rubbish that is Adobe reader (>41Mb), and in its place, install Foxit (~3Mb) - a free, smaller, leaner and far more user-friendly .pdf reader (plus more if you want).

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/

It also allows you (with the appropriate add-on) to open documents within FF, and not have to open a separate reader program. =D>

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 21, 2009, 11:56 am

Bumper what I meant was to uninstall the Adobe Reader from the uninstall utility on the control panel. I wouldn't manually delete any files, you never know what you are deleting.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 21, 2009, 12:01 pm

Yes that seems to be true :D

I haev thibgs like D Adobe Air. Falsh play ect. leave those alone?

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 21, 2009, 12:09 pm

Yes, just do an uninstall from the control panel. Click on "Control Panel:; then "Add or Remove Programs", then "Adobe Reader". You get to the Control Panel by clicking on "Start".

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”