Some sites not coming up

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
parrot
udonmap.com

Some sites not coming up

Post by parrot » January 4, 2010, 3:35 pm

For the past few days, I've had problems accessing the New York Times www.nytimes.com, Washington Post www.washingtonpost.com, and from time to time, Gmail. All my other daily sites are coming up fine....speedtest is checking out fine, I can watch the Daily Show no problem, but those 3 websites are either not coming up at all, or only rarely. I've cleared cache, history, used a different browser (Opera, Maxthon, IE) all with the same result. I'm thinking it's related to the specific websites, but it seems odd that a big site like the Times, Post, gmail would be having problems.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Bread Man
udonmap.com

Re: Some sites not coming up

Post by Bread Man » January 4, 2010, 3:48 pm

Had the same problems over the last couple of days but all okay this afternoon.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 4, 2010, 3:50 pm

I have also had problems with various random sites since last Friday - sometimes won't appear at all; other times very slowly; other times load normally eg UdonMap sometimes loads all the headings quickly, and then a delay of up to 30 seconds before the actual posts load.

I have had trouble with google as above - in fact I did a ping test earlier today, and google was not being reached at all. At the moment is is fine.

Happens with FF and IE, and Windows XP and 7.

Using ToT ADSL.

ps it is probably those left wing, pinky newspapers buggering your searching experience. Have you tried Fox News :D

pps I have noticed that problems always occur at the start of the long holidays (new year, songkran), such that it is not possible to get hold of ToT technical people :evil:

Bread Man
udonmap.com

Post by Bread Man » January 4, 2010, 3:59 pm

jackspratt wrote:I have also had problems with various random sites since last Friday - sometimes won't appear at all; other times very slowly; other times load normally eg UdonMap sometimes loads all the headings quickly, and then a delay of up to 30 seconds before the actual posts load.

I have had trouble with google as above - in fact I did a ping test earlier today, and google was not being reached at all. At the moment is is fine.

Happens with FF and IE, and Windows XP and 7.

Using ToT ADSL.

ps it is probably those left wing, pinky newspapers buggering your searching experience. Have you tried Fox News :D

pps I have noticed that problems always occur at the start of the long holidays (new year, songkran), such that it is not possible to get hold of ToT technical people :evil:
Agree with you 100%

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 4, 2010, 4:18 pm

"Have you tried Fox News"

I feel ignorant if I don't read the news.....afraid I'd still feel the same way if I read/watched Fox.

Sounds like I'm not the only one with the problem......at least it's not my computer! Thanks for everyone chimin' back.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 4, 2010, 4:35 pm

My daily normal contact websites include..
Couple of Forums
Two different Mail providers
Couple of different news providers.
I have noticed over the last couple of days that I cannot contact EITHER of one of the groups at certain times of the day - but would have no problem contacting the sites of the other two groups at this time.
Being a suspicious by nature, I wondered if maybe those responsible for monitoring web usage were not testing some new facilities that might be utilized in a future domestic crisis. :( :shock:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » January 4, 2010, 5:22 pm

I've had problems accessing numerous websites at different times. Other times they work fine. The browsers, IE and FF, were acting so weird I though I had a virus, but a scan says no.

The ability to access some sites and not others made no sense in terms of their politics or their location. I figured it was some drunk TOT worker just messing with the system over the weekend.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » January 4, 2010, 5:59 pm

A TOT engineering manager confirmed to me today they have been having and are still having international link problems but they don't make this common knlowledge.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 5, 2010, 8:04 am

All seems to be back to normal this morning. \:D/

NOLA
udonmap.com

Post by NOLA » January 5, 2010, 8:46 am

switch to TTT and that will eliminate 90% of your problems.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 5, 2010, 8:53 am

Thanks Nola, I would love to have some competition here - can you give me a timetable for when TTT will be installing a copper network in Ban Dung :D
Last edited by jackspratt on January 5, 2010, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » January 5, 2010, 8:57 am

remove the www. and use http://

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 5, 2010, 10:35 am

"eliminate 90% of your problems"

It's the other 10% that drives me crazy!

Everythings back to normal today.....a minor inconvenience that made me think maybe related to my cache/history/whathaveyou.

"Being a suspicious by nature, I wondered if maybe those responsible for monitoring web usage were not testing some new facilities that might be utilized in a future domestic crisis."

I keep my Radio Shack shortwave radio available.........just in case.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”