Securing My Wifi

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Securing My Wifi

Post by Chriss » February 5, 2011, 8:53 am

I just found out the kids opposite have got themselves a laptop and are using my bloody internet connexion (wifi) little b'stards, no wonder it's running slow.....
How do I secure the connexion, I'm using a D-Link router modem but can't find the user manual.....

Any ideas?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Securing My Wifi

Post by BobHelm » February 5, 2011, 9:10 am

Chriss I followed these pretty detailed instructions I got from Lee when I set mine up..
1. Enter IP address http://192.168.1.1 into browser and then enter username and password to access admin panel
2. Select wireless
3. Enable AP (access point) and give it a name or keep the default. This could be something like Bob2008 etc.
4. Select 'Enable WEP Wireless Security'
5. Enter an encription key i.e. 10 digit number of your choice for a 64 bit encryption
6. Select apply.
7. Close your browser
8. Disable your wireless connection
9. re-connect
10. enter password (encription key)

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » February 5, 2011, 9:49 am

you will have to choose WPA PSK or WPA as security, make your password real odd, 1 cap, 1 number and a word

if someone has the right set up, they can crack a WEP ley in 2 minutes, 15 minutes if you are offline, from as far as 100 to 300 meters.

in my area, if I look at the stations opprating, I usually see 3 to 7 IDs associated with the BSSID (yes a Thai can crack WEP)

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » February 5, 2011, 5:18 pm

It can also help to enable your MAC Filter on your router, then only laptops you allow are allowed on your network.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wire ... ddress.htm

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 5, 2011, 6:27 pm

BobHelm wrote:Chriss I followed these pretty detailed instructions I got from Lee when I set mine up..
1. Enter IP address http://192.168.1.1 into browser and then enter username and password to access admin panel
2. Select wireless
3. Enable AP (access point) and give it a name or keep the default. This could be something like Bob2008 etc.
4. Select 'Enable WEP Wireless Security'
5. Enter an encription key i.e. 10 digit number of your choice for a 64 bit encryption
6. Select apply.
7. Close your browser
8. Disable your wireless connection
9. re-connect
10. enter password (encription key)
Bob, I tried this but never got past #2. I have a TOT modem hooked to the phone line, then a linksys router hooked to that. When I put that IP address in my browser I get a webpage for the TOT Speedtouch Modem, but don't see any link to select "wireless". Any suggestions? I'm afraid to be fooling around too much or I'll screw up my connection. I just clicked on "other devices currently connected to my home network" and I see a list of about 30 different computers that appear to be using my internet. Is this all the people that are using my wireless connection and robbing me of broadband width?

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » February 5, 2011, 6:45 pm

SFG
tell us what brand of modem you have?
at worst you would have to connect to the modem directly via cat5 cable.
if you are constantly on, just unscrew the antenna when not in use. Or turn the modem off

if you switch to a secure connection, PM me the password so I can borrow a cup of wifi :D

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » February 5, 2011, 6:53 pm

jorg wrote:It can also help to enable your MAC Filter on your router, then only laptops you allow are allowed on your network.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/wire ... ddress.htm
Thats not good enough, I could monitor your system, view your MAC list, and spoof your MAC

that happened to my neighbor, he "was online DL'ing heavily, so I called him, because I knew his laptop was busted.
It was a Thai uni student next door that cracked the wep code, and spoofed his MAC (dont discount a Thai's intelligence)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 5, 2011, 6:57 pm

Sorry semperfiguy I am at a bit of a loss as to how to help you.
I would think that the TOT Speedtouch is not a wireless enabled device - hence you cannot see that option for it.
I imagine that you are developing your wireless network through the linksys router. It is this (rather than the Speedtouch) that you need to identify & amend.
The http://192.168.1.1 address seems to identify the modem that you are connected to the web with. Thus it is being identified as the Speedtouch whereas you need to identify the linksys router.
I am sorry I have never worked with a dual system like this, I have always used a modem connected to the equipment that had a wi-fi option built in, so I am a bit baffled as to what advice to offer.
This 'how to set up a linksys router' web page seems to imply this is a piece of cake & should almost happen automatically for you. I can only suggest that you try the steps that they recommend...
http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-setup-a- ... outer.html

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » February 5, 2011, 7:03 pm

ting_tong wrote: Thats not good enough, I could monitor your system, view your MAC list, and spoof your MAC

that happened to my neighbor, he "was online DL'ing heavily, so I called him, because I knew his laptop was busted.
It was a Thai uni student next door that cracked the wep code, and spoofed his MAC (dont discount a Thai's intelligence)
I know it is not good enough, it is just a extra above the "normal" security, everything can be cracked. The link i provided is also saying that MAC can be spoofed.

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » February 5, 2011, 7:13 pm

semperfiguy wrote: Bob, I tried this but never got past #2. I have a TOT modem hooked to the phone line, then a linksys router hooked to that. When I put that IP address in my browser I get a webpage for the TOT Speedtouch Modem, but don't see any link to select "wireless". Any suggestions? I'm afraid to be fooling around too much or I'll screw up my connection. I just clicked on "other devices currently connected to my home network" and I see a list of about 30 different computers that appear to be using my internet. Is this all the people that are using my wireless connection and robbing me of broadband width?
So 192.168.1.1 is the address for your modem, you have to find the address (default gateway) for your router. Maybe this link can help you.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstrick ... ddress.htm

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 5, 2011, 7:30 pm

If this is all sounding like there is no hope of stopping others using your wi-fi then that is probably right. However these steps will discourage the causal user from using it & may well discourage the 'professional' as well, if there is an easier target nearby. Bit like burglary really.
Like discouraging them you can also take the opposite approach & make you place nice & easy to break into & then have deadly surprises awaiting anyone who makes that decision.
Have something like Cain & Abel (& worse) installed & leave them fighting a barrage of infections & losses of information...but that is really not a neighbourly thing to do... :D :D However if after encryption people are still using your wi-fi then it is an option...

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » February 6, 2011, 1:35 am

I noticed on my wireless router that there is an option to change the transmitter power. 25,50,75,or 100%. If you do not use the wireless too far from the router, you can set this to 25%, I doubt the reception will be too good for the people across the street. Just another option.

erik1
udonmap.com

Post by erik1 » February 7, 2011, 11:59 pm

right click on your wireless icon in the task bar, look up the properties and you should find the gateway or go to the command prompt (in start menu select run and then type CMD)
There you can type IPCONFIG /ALL and then check the gateways.
100% secure it will never be, but if you go into the admin site of your router (not the modem)
a) you can see what ip's and mac are connected
b) you can use mac filtering as a barrier, make sure you set it up through a wired connection
c) change your wireless key regularly (12345678 does not do the trick)

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 8, 2011, 2:12 pm

Thank you Bob, worked fine.
The cheeky gits across the street asked the wife if I was having problems with internet, she said no, they asked if we could report their problem to TOT...."What TOT phone number" I asked, reply 'We don't have a phone". Took some explaining for them to understand they were nicking my connexion that I paid for, they thought TOT had set up free wifi internet for the village. Or so they say.....

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”