Facebook, Social Media

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
noosard
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by noosard » April 17, 2013, 11:37 am

udon map
udon talk
coolthaihouse
thai visa
teakdoor
khon kean
have used all of above
still pretty harmless info to be got

jackspratt
udonmap.com

I Knew It All Along

Post by jackspratt » August 29, 2013, 1:57 pm

Don't say I didn't warn you. :D
Get a life!
Using the social network seems to make people more miserable
Aug 17th 2013 |From the print edition

THOSE who have resisted the urge to join Facebook will surely feel vindicated when they read the latest research. A study just published by the Public Library of Science, conducted by Ethan Kross of the University of Michigan and Philippe Verduyn of Leuven University in Belgium, has shown that the more someone uses Facebook, the less satisfied he is with life.

Past investigations have found that using Facebook is associated with jealousy, social tension, isolation and depression. But these studies have all been “cross-sectional”—in other words, snapshots in time. As such, they risk confusing correlation with causation: perhaps those who spend more time on social media are more prone to negative emotions in the first place. The study conducted by Dr Kross and Dr Verduyn is the first to follow Facebook users for an extended period, to track how their emotions change............

http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... e-get-life

parrot
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by parrot » August 29, 2013, 2:54 pm

I'd dare say researchers would find the same results polling those who are on their computers all day....even if their daily menu doesn't include facebook.

I recall the days when my younger brother and I would crank up the basement volume with The Who, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix.....my brother was able to grow a hairstyle that closely resembled an afro...despite being very white (and Polish)....he quit parent-encouraged accordian lessons and self-learned drums.....and not the polka sort of drums. Our parents were convinced the world was coming to an end.....as I'm sure a lot of older folks are convinced today.
Now into just the first few chapters of the bio on Steve Jobs, it appears the 60's revolution was largely responsible for his way of thinking. Lots of good music, LSD, pot, some Indian gurus passing on their teaching, barefoot, long haired radical.
Not everyone might agree, but I look back on those days and consider myself lucky to have lived that generation. I suspect the newer generations will have their own versions of Jobs, Hendrix, Joplin, individual.....and it'll probably include plenty of facebook/twitter/ebay/paypal and google....among other things. I'm confident they won't find themselves sulking in a corner with guns in their mouths.

noosard
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by noosard » August 29, 2013, 4:14 pm

researchers would also find users of mobile phones whom seem to have them permanently attached or ingrown to have serious problems. Especially when batteries die or signal is lost
Researchers will find all sorts of rubbish to publish as facts
mainly because they get paid to

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by jackspratt » August 29, 2013, 4:18 pm

noosard wrote:researchers would also find users of mobile phones whom seem to have them permanently attached or ingrown to have serious problems. Especially when batteries die or signal is lost
Researchers will find all sorts of rubbish to publish as facts
mainly because they get paid to
Does the fact they are paid invalidate their research?

noosard
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by noosard » August 30, 2013, 7:13 am

No but they would research whether the chicken would cross the road

parrot
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by parrot » September 4, 2013, 12:02 pm

The foam-in-the-wall saga at Sansiri in Bangkok is a good reason to like Facebook, even if you don't use it.
The condo owner contacted condo management several times to try and fix a wall that leaked whenever it rained. He was unsuccessful. So, he posted a rant on the Sansiri Facebook page and the rant went viral. And, of course, now condo management is trying to fix the problem as they should have in the first place.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/property/new ... -the-mouth

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by jackspratt » December 10, 2013, 11:34 am

A lovely piece of biting satire from Australia's ABC:
Ever since Facebook was first launched back in the late 1960s, it has tantalised with the promise of the ultimate goal of all humankind: the maintenance of human relationships, without the need for actual human contact. And Mark Zuckerberg's wonderful creation has certainly gone a long way to enabling that, giving us the option of interacting with a wide circle of "friends", without all the mess and inconvenience of, you know, friends...............

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-10/p ... ok/5146096
Warning: for those blanching over the "late 1960s" start-up date, the writer is a self-confessed comedian. :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by trubrit » December 10, 2013, 11:42 am

A real story . Last Saturday I was enjoying lunch at Steve's T bar and my wife photographed my delicious looking fish and chips and posted it to Facebook. Within half hour she had 5 likes and an order for two portions to be taken home for friends .Guess who paid ?
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

noosard
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by noosard » December 10, 2013, 12:34 pm

advertising pays
word of mouth in this case picture on facebook

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by WhoUrDaddy » December 10, 2013, 12:43 pm

noosard wrote:advertising pays
or costs.............depending what side of the check bin you're on....... 8)

socksy
udonmap.com

'Farcebook' can sometimes bite you on the bum

Post by socksy » March 15, 2014, 8:14 am

"A married benefits cheat who swindled £65,000 by claiming she was a single mother was caught after investigators checked her Facebook status, Exeter Crown Court has heard.

Samantha Close, 27, of Wykes Road, Exeter, admitted five counts of benefit fraud.

She had claimed she was struggling alone with two children but her Facebook page showed she was married.

Close was jailed for 26 weeks, suspended for 18 months".

BBC News source.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

GT93
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by GT93 » March 15, 2014, 9:45 am

If the British government gives me that amount of money I'd happily take that sentence. Not much of a deterrent.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by mortiboy » March 15, 2014, 12:24 pm

GT93 wrote:If the British government gives me that amount of money I'd happily take that sentence. Not much of a deterrent.
But I wonder will she need pay back the money over a period of time after?
Mai mee tahng !

GT93
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by GT93 » March 15, 2014, 2:42 pm

Yes, I guess so. The very light sentence might also be because she's already paid the money back (or most of it).

However if she's on welfare she might never be able to pay it back. That might well be the case as she clearly isn't too bright given what she did and what she posted on Facebook. The husband's role in all this isn't mentioned.

I think the harsher sanction is probably her diminished employment prospects given her conviction.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by BobHelm » March 15, 2014, 3:59 pm

She is still receiving Social Security. Her husband has now left her.
She is paying back the money via getting reduced payments now.
She has two children so I guess that the general feeling was that it is actually cheaper to keep her out of prison & looking after her kids than put her inside & have to put the kids into care as well.
From what I read of the case she was never wholly reliant on SS but was receiving things like housing allowance that she should not have been receiving once she was living with a guy...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Facebook, Social Media

Post by jackspratt » June 30, 2014, 11:49 am

More disturbing news emanating from the dark depths of Mordor Park, under the control of the evil Sauronberg:
Facebook's disturbing power to alter our moods

Over the week of January 11-18, 2012, some 689,003 Facebook user accounts were manipulated by researchers within the firm's 'Core Data Science' team. The 'News Feed' of posts shared by friends and followed accounts, analyzed for positive versus negative content, was then adjusted to tilt toward one or another extreme. Some users got mostly positive posts in their feeds, while others got mostly negative posts..........

............Facebook set out to prove what we already strongly suspected - its News Feeds are mood-altering streams of media. Yet proving this point raises serious questions about ethics and responsibility at Facebook. Did Facebook have permission to conduct experiments that could alter the mood of its users? Did users give their consent to participate in these experiments? Did these experiments produce quantifiable levels of emotional harm to any individuals?..........

.........This may be the most damning revelation of all. Buried deep within its Facebook Data Use Policy, Facebook asserts its users have given the firm legal permission to edit their News Feeds in any conceivable way.

In other words, Facebook claims the right to manipulate your News Feed to make you feel happy or sad or angry or exuberant or just about any other emotion they want you to feel. They've already shown their prowess at editing reality to generate a given mood.........

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-30/p ... ds/5559530
For the Facebook users ............. not quite feeling yourself today ................ can't put your finger on what is wrong..........? :-k :D

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”