ADSL Internet from TOT

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Dakoda
udonmap.com

ADSL Internet from TOT

Post by Dakoda » August 29, 2005, 9:11 pm

Well its Monday and I am back online. We have been hit with storms and power outage here and Saturday when I tried to get online nothing, so I spent the weekend waiting for Monday. Sunday, we also noticed that the phone was not receiving calls, but we could call out. This has happened two or three times before and always late on Friday or Saturday.

Well, Monday TOT was called, and by ten AM the phone was fixed, but still no internet. I guess they (TOT) were checking things, because I got four or five calls, asking if ok. So around three they called to say someone was coming over to check computer. (I just hate strangers messing with my computer)

So around 3:30 two people came, and one actually spoke good english. He asked about storms and electric, and I told him I usually unplug everything, for when power goes out here, my lights still glow, go figure!

He said it must be a router problem, so first he needed to reset it and then configure my router, he was thinking it was hanging, so he did it a couple of times, - but it still didn't connect. He finally used his login and password and we had liftoff!

Seems that TOT had decided to disconnected me! (if you have read other posts, only have received two bills in past six months).

So they got my account active again, and when they left everything seemed ok. I even got him to get my connection upgraded to 512 from 256. It is suppose to happen tomorrow! Man at TOT when paying last bill, said he needed to see my other bill, it just was to scary, I figured I best stay with something that worked! Of course his english was like Greek to me!

Later I decided to check some of my accounts in the states, I even tried to come here to this site, just kept getting the message not found. Least to say I have not been a happy camper these last few days, and this was not helping. I could get to CNN, Yahoo, bloomberg, and my email, but the places I wanted and needed to go, "Server Not Found". I went to dinner!

Well of course the paper with the instructions for setup are missing. I guess I should have put them in a safe place, :roll: (TG likes to write on the back of things), so I started looking at the configure, but could not see anything, bring a ADSL newbee! :?

So I just punted, and clicked on the reset to factory link, and configured from memory, now everything seems to be ok! :shock:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 3, 2005, 7:54 am

Well today is Saturday. Last night needed to use phone to call the states. Guess what, I can receive calls, but can't make calls. What is it with TOT and Fridays :?: Well at least my ADSL still works, knock on wood :roll:

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 3, 2005, 11:03 am

TOT here are a joke,the slightest sign of a storm and my phone goes down.Must have happened a hundred times.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 6, 2005, 6:24 am

TOT fixed the phone on Monday morn. Now tuesday and my system status widget is telling me that my ADSL account has been suspended and please connect billing dept. But it still works! Not sure where this widget is getting this info.

Never did get upgraded to 512, knew I should have gotten his number! :?

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 6, 2005, 11:10 am

I am miles from any exchange so i guess i have no chance of ADSL.Is it right the copper wires here are so poor that its only available up to 4 km from an exchange?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 6, 2005, 1:02 pm

You could always give sattelite broadband a try, but it's pretty pricey.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 6, 2005, 1:58 pm

I notice Shin has just stuck up another big satellite so maybe the cost will come down.However there's a lack of competition for some reason.I notice telephony by satellite is to be excluded from the free trade deal with the USA.Hmmm,nothing to do with Mr T off course. :^o

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 6, 2005, 2:39 pm

Do you know if cable broadband is available?, I'm sure a friend of mine had a cable line installed in Nong Khai, there are no restrictions on distance with them. I may have this mixed up with something else though :oops:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 6, 2005, 5:09 pm

businessman wrote:I notice Shin has just stuck up another big satellite so maybe the cost will come down:^o

:^o =D> :lol:

What are YOU on ????????

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 6, 2005, 5:28 pm

yea, really, shin, what a joke. i just cancelled, and it felt good, so next month, i'll be a little mute, actually very mute, since i'll be on holiday. get to save 3210 baht a month. now, my thinking is, i can buy a laptop, and drink at irish clock, use internet for free, and drink 3200 baht a month in beer while there, and i break even.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 6, 2005, 9:09 pm

:lol: I presume that sattelite bb isn't rated that well then Paul, I know very little about it in all honesty :oops: .

Sounds like LA has got the best option together ;)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 6, 2005, 9:27 pm

actually the satilite service is very dependable, even though i bitch about it occasionally, but very expensive in comparison to what is available. unfortunately, no optionis available where i live, no land line. especially after reading everyones phone problems and connecting problems. i am usually one 2-10 times a day, and rarely can't connect. system has only been down twice, once very short, once for couple hours, and i probably have had it for about a year now, so that's pretty good. upload about 100, down 200. i really don't need internet at house anymore as i no longer use it for my original purpose. now i just read news and forum, keep in contact with family and friends. i can do that in town, as i'm there twice a day anyway, at a fraction of the cost. just kept it one more month to plan next month vacation.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 6, 2005, 9:30 pm

You could always get a cheap GPRS package for your mobile (if you have one of course), pretty good for occasional use, and faster than dial up :)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 7, 2005, 11:27 am

Sean i am out in the sticks so no cable company will run their cables out to me.

As for falling broadband prices i can always hope. :)

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 7, 2005, 10:05 pm

OK then, try this for an option, ask Paul very nicely is he would send you a copy of the net accelerator program that he has. :)

They do work.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 8, 2005, 9:30 am

Easy Solution.

Go to the local shop which sells pay-as-you-use internet cards, and in my case I like to use Ji-Net - sometimes a little difficult to connect early evening - due to clogged phone lines - but other times its great.

Along with the card in the packaging comes a free CD with the Accelerator programme on it - and basically you just do as it says.

Install the accelerator programme first, then connect using the password and user name and follow the easy on screen instructions. One important point though - It didn't seem to be quite right the first time I connected and something was not doing what it should, so I re-connected to Ji-net and a message from them came on screen saying that there was now an update to the accelerator and unless I downloaded it - then the accelerator (and connection) would not work. It took a few minutes to download it and there then came an even easier to understand set of simple instructions and that was it - programme installed- connected and. at that time was working more efficiently than my ADSL connectin - yes really !

I was sceptical of the hype 'speed up your connection' - yeah right !
But it really did - and at one point I even considered staying with the old dial up connection instead of arguing every day with TT&T about my ADSL line.

For your information - the package I used comes in a packet about 6" square, is predominantley purple packaging and I chose the cheapest option (as it was a temporary fix just to get back online) for 99 baht - which gave me 7 days unlimited (24/7) access. Each connection though is charged 3 baht by the phone company - so I tended not to worry if I 'accidentaly' left it connected all the time. Apart from the fact that no one can call my house - which is no bad thing as 99% of the calls are wrong numbers and I am constantly amazed how long Thais will continue to talk to me in thai despite telling them in English- I do not understand a word they are saying etc etc etc - but they jibber jibber away in Thai, but as they are paying for the call - I just go along with it - passes the time I guess LOL eventually they seem to realise that they are getting nowhere :)

PS - the accelerator programme required me to enter the same user name and password as my internet card - so i wonder if it is time linked to the same timeframe as my connection card was/is
You can purchase these cards on a per hour basis or unlimited access for xxx days.
In hind sight I should have purchased an hourly card as within 2 days my ADSL was running again so I wasted 5 days unlimited dial up access - but I think I can live with the loss of 99 baht - It was worth that just to be online for those 2 quiet days !!!!

Paul 8)

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 8, 2005, 10:47 am

I shall pop down the local Telewiz shop and see if they have one.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 10, 2005, 8:01 pm

Hmm, Paul could that be from where your computer problems came from :?: :lol:

either TOT or TT&T web site has a place to check your phone number for support of ADSL.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 10, 2005, 10:23 pm

Well So far so good - and ever since those guys left my house (after admiring my soft furnishings) I haven't had cause to complain, and everything is apparently working fine.

The only thing is I am ignoring the readings I was getting from the bandwith checker in the UK. They may be right - they may be wrong - who knows? but it depresses me when I see the laughably low readout and to cheer myself up I do the test on the TT&T site.

Actually I think its better to ignore all the figures and as long as I am satisfied with the general speed of the connection I have then paying attention to specific numbers is going to drive me insane - oops too late LOL

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 11, 2005, 11:06 am

I am lucky here if i have a working telephone line,let alone high speed access. :(

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”