TOT wireless

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
parrot
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by parrot » March 2, 2012, 9:46 am

A few days ago I returned from the US with a Kindle Fire, courtesy of our daughter. As I don't have a laptop, I've never had the need for wireless around the home....but the Kindle Fire was beckoning me to get the capability.
I went to TOT and inquired about buying a wireless modem......it cost me 9 Baht....as in NINE!....part of a TOT wireless promotion. The TOT staff programed the modem for me, I returned home, swapped cables from my old TOT wired modem to the new wireless modem, and....as quick as that.....I have wireless service throughout my house. No fuss, no muss, no headaches.......for 9 Baht!
A TOT engineer who I know reaffirmed that I can expect fiber-to-the-home before the end of the year.....and living 18km outside of Udon, that'll be about as good as it gets for internet service.

greatsnake
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by greatsnake » March 2, 2012, 10:08 am

So, what are you getting for download / upload speeds?

What package did you buy?

How is your connectivity (in other words, is it difficult to connect sometimes and do you often get disconnected)?

randerson79
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by randerson79 » March 2, 2012, 10:09 am

Please keep us informed on how you like the Kindle Fire.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2012, 10:29 am

When I purchased one from TOT a few years ago it was just under the 2K baht.. so a good saving Parrot.
I rarely had connections issues with mine, either tethered directly to it or using the wireless.
When there was a problem I quickly discovered that if it was not an actual TOT line issue the easy & reliable method of correction was just to disconnect it & reconnect it to the mains supply.
It seemed to need that about once a month. but maybe things have progressed in the last couple of years... :D

On the Kindle Fire front if you tell me what 'type' of books you like then I just may be able to assist... :D

camps
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by camps » March 2, 2012, 11:24 am

Hi All,
I live in Mak Ya, Nong Wau So and for a couple of years using a dongle for internet connection, which is oh so slow. My wife has tried to get a telephone line installed many times but they will not do it saying "all lines taken" Any ideas on what to do? Is it possible to have internet without a fixed line with TOT etc ? Thanks in advance.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by BobHelm » March 2, 2012, 11:54 am

3BB are putting in their own network of line, but I have no idea to what extent they are planing to cover everywhere or indeed, if they are.
A visit to their office might be worth while.
The only other option is via satellite with someone like ipStar but I understand that is not exactly cheap..

camps
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by camps » March 2, 2012, 12:02 pm

Thanks Bob, will call in there later,office nr Big C,airport ? I i am not mistaken. cheers

parrot
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by parrot » March 2, 2012, 2:51 pm

"I live in Mak Ya, Nong Wau So and for a couple of years using a dongle for internet connection, which is oh so slow. "

There are few times I prescribe to the idea of putting a little cash under the table, but if it were me, I'd be visiting the local TOT office and trying to get to know one of the engineers or managers. An unexpected car payment can do wonders here.

douglas
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by douglas » March 6, 2012, 1:31 pm

Hi,
Parrot, could you let me know what is the monthly rental for using this service. At present i have a TP-Link,what it says on box, and supplied by TOT, and that can supplies 4 computers. Living room and three bedrooms. Would like to get rid of all this excess wiring. Unable to get out at present or would go to them myself.
Thanks Doug.

parrot
udonmap.com

TOT wireless

Post by parrot » March 6, 2012, 1:57 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a monthly rent for the box. Up until the promotion, you could buy the box from them for around 2000-2500 baht. Under the promotion, I paid 9 baht. I signed a piece of paper that says I'll continue using ADSL for a year (at the monthly rate of 590 baht). To the best of my knowledge, there are no further charges.

When I originally signed up for ADSL with TOT, I was "given" a Speedtouch Modem and signed a year contract at the monthly rate of 590 baht. When I got my wireless box, I asked if they wanted the older modem back......they didn't want it.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”