Reloading OS

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by Chriss » March 28, 2012, 12:35 pm

I have a laptop running MS Vista and I want to reformat my hard drive and change the partition sizes. But, just realised when I bought the laptop I didn't get a Vista CD. So, as part of the backing up of my data can I backup Vista? and if I can when I come to reload where do I find the serial number or will I need a serial number??? Have checked all the paperwork I got with the unit but nothing relates to Vista.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

jorg
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by jorg » March 28, 2012, 1:07 pm

If you have a legal version of Vista you should find a sticker somewhere on your laptop with the product key. You can also google for "find product key vista" and you will get some links that can help you.

You cannot make a backup and create a fresh install from that, but if you can borrow a vista cd from somebody you can use that as long as you have a valid product key.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by Chriss » March 28, 2012, 1:58 pm

It is a legal copy of Vista it came preloaded on the laptop. Unfortunatley the sticker is located on the bottom of the unit and a few years of using it on the lap has worn out the text. I thought it was in teh registry somewhere??

Will give the google search a go see what I come up with.

Is downloading a dodgey copy from a torrent site and using my serial number the same, when I find it that is?

Chriss
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by Chriss » March 28, 2012, 2:13 pm

Just found on a vista forum that the product ID is found: "Start, right click on Computer and select properties"

Did this and there is a code there under Windows Activation, it's a 20 character code with the letters "OEM" in the middle, is this the product ID I can use when I reload?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by jackspratt » March 28, 2012, 2:41 pm

Chriss it is not the Product ID that you need.

The key is 5 x 5 digits (a mixture of numbers and letters) as follows (this is an example only) 123F5-67RT9-ABC4D-0987R-F567T.

I use a program called Belarc Advisor, which will give you the key - along with a lot of other good information about your computer.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

welshwizard
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by welshwizard » March 29, 2012, 6:59 am

Hi chriss
I have windows 7 on my desktop and laptop for 2 years and have no installation cd`s but backed up both systems before connecting to the net using Acronis true image when windows 7 was installed .This ensures no virus and just a clean backup.
I have wiped my drives several times and reinstalled windows from the backups and have never had to reactivate as windows was already activated so i think you should be able to format your drives and reload vista from a backup without the key code but be better to backup with a good program like True image or Norton ghost.Takes me about 1 hour to wipe the drive and reload windows 7 using true image
wz

Chriss
udonmap.com

Reloading OS

Post by Chriss » March 29, 2012, 12:07 pm

Thanks Jack, I have just downloaded Belarc, haven't run it et though.
And Mr Wizard, someone else told me yesterday there should be no need to reactivate the OS and I should merely reload a backup. Doing some more research before I attempt it..

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”