Internet/PC security

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 11, 2012, 10:38 pm

I am barely skilled in computer stuff, and zero on security stuff.
My desktop is operated by Vista, yes, Vista; and got IE as the browser. Could not find out the version number from the properties, can only tell you that it came pre-installed in 2008 when I bought the package loaded on a HP from the large store, BD computers, on the Srichomchuen Rd.
Based on the advice on this forum, I also got the free version of the Avast trying to protect my computer.
For the last few days, whenever I try to access reputable and trustworthy websites such as Udonmap (!), I get the following message:
“To help protect your security, Internet Explorer has blocked this website from displaying content” (sometimes adding “with security certificate errors”). It displays a button to “display contents” which I click on to get past the barrier.
Most other websites like Yahoo, Hotmail, New York Times, and yes Microsoft are subjected to the same treatment.
Worst treatment is reserved for some websites like BankOfAmerica with an explicit
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended)When I ignore the ‘not recommended’ warning the address field is highlighted in RED.
I suspect that it is some kind of a setting error in my software’s security protocol, but have been unable to pin that down.
I can only think of two recent actions that may or may not have anything to with the problem:
1. I took the computer to BD computers because it would not get going when I would switch it on; just made some patterned sound, and showed a flashing light, which I thought indicated a hard disc problem. Got it back with the report that there was a problem with the main board which they fixed at no charge.
2. I had downloaded and installed Microsoft Essential.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by BobHelm » August 11, 2012, 10:49 pm

Ray, couple of questions, points...
You say that you have installed Microsoft Essentials, but you say that you downloaded a free version of Avast.
Are you running two anti-virus pieces of software??

As you are running Vista I would highly recommend that you immediately look at a different browser than IE to use, now, immediately, whatever else you do.
Your choice, there are many...FireFox (Mozzilla), Chrome (Google), Opera (Apple) to name but 3. Any of these will work better with Vista than IE.

You can find out which version of IE that you are running by clicking on Help when you have IE open & then About IE from the drop down menu. That will then tell you what version you are running. I believe that the latest version is 9.
If you do not have a menu displayed, only a few symbols, then click on the 'clog' wheel & then 'About' from the drop down menu.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 12, 2012, 1:37 am

OK, its IE8 that I am using.
Avast has been on for a long time; I added the MS essential recently based on some comments that I read on this forum. Should I now get rid of the Avast?
Should I move from VISTA? ...to what?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by jackspratt » August 12, 2012, 7:50 am

Ray my advice is to move from Vista (it is widely recognised as a dog of an operating system) to Windows 7 - you won't notice much difference, but under the bonnet W7 is far superior.

Similar comments apply to Internet Explorer - install Firefox (or one of the other browsers Bob mentioned), and set it as your default browser. No need to uninstall IE, it will just sit there unused.

You should never run 2 anti-virus programs concurrently - they will often read the other as a virus. Delete one of them - my preference as stated before is to use Avast.

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 7:51 am

Ray...you should never have 2 anti-virus programs running at the same time. Not only does it really slow down your computer, but they can conflict with each other and create weird issues. If you wish to use Security Essentials, you should remove Avast. You are probably getting those errors due to having your security settings in Security Essentials set to high, or a conflict between the two AV programs.

As Bob said, IE and Vista are notoriously insecure. You should download and use FireFox or Chrome instead, especially if you are going to stick with Vista. I *think* you can still upgrade Vista to Windows 7, but am not sure. If it is possible, I would suggest doing so. 7 is easier to use (IMO) and is more secure than Vista.

Are you in Udon Thani? If so, and there is no hurry, I could help you out next week if you needed it.

KB

Heh, Jack beat me to posting by 1 minute. I have no experience with Avast, but Security Essentials does a pretty good job for free. Either of them should work for you.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by BobHelm » August 12, 2012, 8:34 am

Running the two virus programs is certainly not something to do.

You can get away with it, sometimes, but not with Avast & MSE as they both operate in the background all the time that your computer is running. Get rid of one of them...it does not matter which, they're much of a muchness as far as the security they give.

I would also move away from Internet Explorer. Microsoft have improved it with version 8 but Chrome is certainly still a far better browser & you will get less issues using it than IE...The only thing against Chrome is that Mr. Google can be rather nosy about what you are doing with his software, something which some people object to... :D

Eventually you will have to move from Vista, although that is a few years away now. However it was never a good system & Windows 7 is far better than it could ever be, You would only see improvements if you moved to 7. You should still be able to 'upgrade' from Vista to 7 , that is to say move up to 7 without losing all your personal data. I wouldn't try, or if I did then I would certainly make a copy of the data first..

Finally, you should snap KB's hand off for his offer to help.. :D
None of the issues that you have with your computer are serious, but it is certainly easier if you have someone who is confident about what they are doing to assist you through it...

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 12, 2012, 10:55 am

Thank you all, it is a nice community. I am acting on your advice. I have copied the whole of 'my documents ' as a precaution’.
Avast is gone. MS essential is now the sole protector. No effect, yet.
My opinion of Google is the same as Bob's. Isn't this the same company whose company mission is 'don't be evil', a thinly veiled swipe at Microsoft? Power corrupts. OK, no pontificating; zip up.
Busy now, will install Firefox soon.
Keep you posted.
KB, I sincerely thank you for your generous offer. I live in Ban Chiang Pang, about 12 Km northwest of Udon. I can also bring the PC and the laptop to your place.

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 11:39 am

Ray wrote:
Avast is gone. MS essential is now the sole protector. No effect, yet.
Ray, did you reboot the system after you removed Avast? If you did not, they are still running together. :)

KB

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 12, 2012, 12:23 pm

KB, I went to 'all programs' and removed Avast, then restarted the computer. The icon is still showing on the desktop though with an 'X' on it.
Another item that I should have mentioned earlier is that everyday several times I get a message saying "internet explorer has stopped working'. As a second nature, I just close the window and continue without any problem.
I have sent you PM.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by jackspratt » August 12, 2012, 12:37 pm

Ray, my post above about "deleting" one of your AV programs was misleading - I should have said "uninstall".

You do this by left clicking on the Windows symbol (circle) in the bottom left hand corner of your screen, then:

left click "computer" > left click on "uninstall or change a program > left click/highlight "avast" > left click "uninstall/change" > follow the uninstall directions.

When uninstalled - re-boot.

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 12:41 pm

Ray...what Jack said re: uninstall. :)

We'll see about getting you to a different browser when you come over though installing FireFox is really easy if you wish to try it.

I answered your PM.

Ken

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by Ray.Charles » August 12, 2012, 1:30 pm

Jack, I have uninstalled it, the icon is gone, but not the problem described in OP.
Thanks for staying with me through this boring serial.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by BobHelm » August 12, 2012, 2:17 pm

I gather Avast can be a bit suborn to remove.. :D
This from their own web site...
Uninstall Utility

Sometimes it´s not possible to uninstall avast! the standard way - using the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS in control panel. In this case, you can use our uninstallation utility aswClear.

How to uninstall our software using aswClear:

Download aswclear.exe on your desktop
Start Windows in Safe Mode
Open (execute) the uninstall utility
If you installed avast! in a different folder than the default, browse for it. (Note: Be careful! The content of any folder you choose will be deleted!)
Click REMOVE
Restart your computer
The page is here if you want to try Ray....
http://www.avast.com/it-it/uninstall-utility

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 3:30 pm

Ray, it has been a while since I have messed with Windows machines, but I do not think those issues are coming from Security Essentials. I believe they are either coming from a general internet setting, or most likely, a setting in IE itself. I could probably figure it out if I was looking at it, but not without seeing it, as it has been even a LONGER time since I messed with IE. :)

If you wish to download and install FireFox, you should be able to get it from this link:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Chrome is also an excellent browser, and lately has been more stable than the rush of updates by FireFox.

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by parrot » August 12, 2012, 3:42 pm

Don't mean to jump in the fray here, but just a thought: if you copy of Vista isn't legit (in other words, if you bought your computer here and it was preinstalled, it probably isn't legit), you may have problems with Microsoft Essentials. Just a thought.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by BobHelm » August 12, 2012, 4:15 pm

I doubt it parrot. Microsoft just just will not let you download it (Security Essentials) if they decide that your copy of Windows Vista or 7 is not legit. Plus it does then inflicting you with the dreaded 'Your program is illegal' screen on start up, but I have never heard of it deliberately interfering with browsing.

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 4:56 pm

I concur with Bob parrot. MS has to walk a very fine line due to litigation in Europe and the US. It may nag you a lot, but to deliberately interfere would set off all sorts of 'bad things' for MS. MSSE can't be downloaded unless MS decides your software is legit anyway, so I think that is not the issue. :)

KB

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 5:06 pm

As for that specific error from IE, here is what the MS support site says:

You may be missing updates that have installed the most current security certificates.

Also be sure to check your date, time, and time zone settings to make sure they are all correct. These settings can be checked by double clicking the clock displayed in the corner of your Taskbar.

Many folks have fixed the issue by resetting their clocks and time zone.

KB

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Internet/PC security

Post by jackspratt » August 12, 2012, 5:11 pm

KB_Texas wrote:I concur with Bob parrot. MS has to walk a very fine line due to litigation in Europe and the US. It may nag you a lot, but to deliberately interfere would set off all sorts of 'bad things' for MS. MSSE can't be downloaded unless MS decides your software is legit anyway, so I think that is not the issue. :)

KB
O/T a little (and probably pedantic as well :oops: ) - but my understanding is that you cannot download MSE unless your Windows is activated.

And there are (so I have been told) plenty of pirated, but activated, copies of Windows around. :shock:

KB_Texas

Internet/PC security

Post by KB_Texas » August 12, 2012, 5:27 pm

I agree with your thinking, but if I understand Ray correctly, he just downloaded it. He was using Avast! before. So if he downloaded it from MS, then his copy of Windows passed the authenticity test. :)

So the question for Ray is, where did you download the MSSE from? Was it a Microsoft site?

KB

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”