Any Shops that work on Logic Boards?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 29, 2012, 12:48 pm

I have a old computer that I would like to fix. To fix it, I need the correct size capacitors which I guess I might need to order from states. Then I need someone to replace the bad ones on the logic board with the new ones. Anyone know of shops that do this?

I had thought the shop next to City Lodge, did this, but when I checked with them, got a blank stare and a No, and no idea of anyone that did this type of work in Udon. Guess I need to go to the new IT plaza?

kumphawapi
udonmap.com

Post by kumphawapi » August 29, 2012, 1:26 pm

Electronics with discrete components on simple circuit boards can be fixed by replacing capacitors, but most computer boards use surface mounted components and these are virtually impossible to replace by hand. Where you have a mix of the two there is often not room to wield a soldering iron and extracting one capacitor will damage the soldering on adjacent components.
It is usually much better to replace the board, or rebuild the computer, keeping all components that function well, but replacing those well out of date.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 29, 2012, 1:44 pm

This is a Apple product and this can be done. But if done by Apple the cost would be about the same as a new computer.

There are 3rd party shops in states that will do the work for a better price, they also sell the components to do this, but hay I in Thailand.

There are even "How To" videos on this.

So, yes this is easily accomplished.

Desolder old and pull out, insert new and solder. Reassemble! :D

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » August 31, 2012, 6:17 pm

Done the same many times. Caps tend to be rather difficult to remove though, especially getting enough heat into the negative pads. Sometimes it will come out and leave a fair amount of solder plugging the hole. A 0.5mm drill bit will clear it BUT you have to be careful not to take out the via in the board.
Usually it's the 2200uF caps in and around the processor that cause the problems, mostly power-up self checks fail.

Parts you could try from Futurlec, they have an office in Bangkok....... http://www.futurlec.com

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 31, 2012, 10:03 pm

Really looking for a local shop to do the work, I don't have the tools and if I was to buy a desolder and solder tools (have not seen a desolder tool around here) I would never use again. Was going to the new IT Mall tomorrow and ask around.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 1, 2012, 3:13 pm

Stopped by the IT Mall, a lot of empty spaces, but I liked it. Not in the market for anything, so just looked around, and it seems it will be my go to, when I am looking for something in the IT market.

What I went for was to find someone that works on Logic Boards, and I found one. Its name is IT Studio. They are not sure if they have the parts, but if I supply them they can do the work. Now I need to open up the unit again and write down the sizes, think all are the same, then source them. They do have a web site http://www.itstudio.com but its more for a large company or educational IT operation.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”