Internet options

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BDK
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by BDK » May 13, 2015, 4:12 pm

Hi,

What are the cost and options of internet connections in Udon?

I'm looking at a condo in the Lumpini building, but as I need Internet, the owner wants a 1-year contract to install a Internet connection, and then let me use the connection for free.
The reason for the 1-year contact should be, that the owner needs to make a 1-year contract with the Internet supplier - don't know wether it's true or not, but sounds a bit off to me.
To get around making a 1-year contract on the condo, I want to offer to pay for the installation of the Internet connection myself, and then just do a 6 months contract on the condo.
But what options are there here in Udon? Any wireless/unlimited 3G available, or is a wired connection the way to go?

I had TOT in my old condo, which worked as good as can be expected in Thailand.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by GARYZX6R » May 13, 2015, 4:30 pm

My friend got connected with 3bb , about 5 months ago. Had to pay a year up front due to him being a farang..

fdimike
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by fdimike » May 14, 2015, 8:39 am

I don't know why they charged him a year up front. I've had 3BB at my home now for several years on a month to month basis and we never had to pay a year in advance.

3G wifi is certainly available here in UT as well as most parts of the country. Prices vary from provider to provider. AIS has packages ranging in price from 249THB/mo 1GB download up to 1699THB/mo for 10GB unlimited. You can discuss the options available by visiting their Telewiz office in Central Plaza or next to Tung Sri Muang City Park (not Nong Pra Jak).

I presently use a 2GB package from AIS for 399THB/mo unlimited downloads in both my Samsung phone and tablet when cycling away from home. Depending on your location the speeds run from slow to fast. I can typically do all my internet business with 3G in most any location in LOS and many times it's MUCH faster than the FREE Wifi advertised in most hotels/resorts etc which tends to be less than ideal.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by RLTrader » May 14, 2015, 9:17 am

I also have 3B on a month to month 10mb for 632 includes vat. The best deal I got was with True Online, 30mb internet, 100+ channels of tv, sim card for smart phone w 850mb per month free. No pre pay for calls. All for 854 includes vat. Free install, free router, free tv box.

So now when power goes down, with my mac book tethered to my smart phone, I'm still connected. Or if I go into town can do the same. :D

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by RLTrader » May 14, 2015, 9:38 am

RLTrader wrote:I also have 3B on a month to month 10mb for 632 includes vat. The best deal I got was with True Online, 30mb internet, 100+ channels of tv, sim card for smart phone w 850mb per month free. No pre pay for calls. All for 854 includes vat. Free install, free router, free tv box.

So now when power goes down, with my mac book tethered to my smart phone, I'm still connected. Or if I go into town can do the same. :D
I should ad that when 3B goes down, or keeps re-connecting every 30 or 40 mins, (Happens often, last time last week, they found bird nest in their box on pole), I still have a dependable connection. The only time I saw True Online go down, was once for about 15 mins in the last 3 or 4 months.

BDK
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by BDK » May 14, 2015, 11:19 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

3G is not a viable option, as I simply have too much traffic - I'm addicted to Netflix! I haven't been able to find a truly unlimited 3G package.

The 3BB price seems to match what I paid in my old condo for a TOT connection - also on a month by month contract.

It could seem that I am the victim of being a farang, unless there should be some circumstances in the Lumpini buildings, that calls for some additional wiring - which I find hard to believe in a new building.

BDK
udonmap.com

Internet options

Post by BDK » May 14, 2015, 4:40 pm

Went and talked to the Lumpini broker-lady today, and luckily she wasn't there when I came.
Talked to another lady which told me that there was absolutely no problems in doing a month by month contract on the Internet - so problem solved!

Now the question is which company to choose. AIS look like a great deal (10/4 for 590 baht) - any experiences to share?
I have been told that True blocks a number of sites, and that one of these DNS services can not be used with True, so I guess they are out of the question.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Internet options

Post by Pooclover » May 14, 2015, 5:03 pm

3BB is 630 Baht a month... In the city its very fast and reliable...

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Internet options

Post by parrot » September 9, 2022, 9:22 am

Some friends came to visit from Italy for 3 weeks and needed internet access. I took them to the AIS Seranade shop in Central. 50 Baht for the sim, 200 Baht for unlimited 14mbps download for a month for each phone. They've been using the sim for a week now.....no problems watching videos, streaming, video calls, etc. 250 Baht!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 9, 2022, 11:45 am

I have AIS Sim for internet. Cost 1599 Bhat for 100GB per month for one year. That is 133bhat a month, outstanding value.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 14, 2022, 3:42 pm

When I get back from work, I am planning getting a SIM router and probably AIS for internet/wifi in my man cave. Looking at getting one of these.
mr600.jpg
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i3974 ... 08395.html
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 14, 2022, 5:17 pm

Nice Tam, didn't know they had those. Make sure you update us when you start using.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 15, 2022, 6:45 am

Whistler wrote:
September 9, 2022, 11:45 am
I have AIS Sim for internet. Cost 1599 Bhat for 100GB per month for one year. That is 133bhat a month, outstanding value.
Can you post the specifications or point me to a link for this package. Searched the AIS site high and low without success
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 15, 2022, 7:24 am

~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 15, 2022, 9:09 am

Thanks Tam, limited to 10Mbps, currently getting 70+ with 3BB will stay with that for the time being.
Attachments
3BB.jpg

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » October 15, 2022, 11:00 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 15, 2022, 6:45 am
Whistler wrote:
September 9, 2022, 11:45 am
Can you post the specifications or point me to a link for this package. Searched the AIS site high and low without success
I signed up at the AIS store in Central around April this year. That was 5 months ago, so I do not know if it is still available.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 16, 2022, 3:08 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
October 15, 2022, 9:09 am
Thanks Tam, limited to 10Mbps, currently getting 70+ with 3BB will stay with that for the time being.
AIS also have a 20Mbps SIM but that's around 235 baht/month (I think). DTAC used to do a 30Mbps SIM but not sure if they still do. True also tout a 30Mbps SIM but I am averse to their products.

My temporary hookup in my shed is only good for 10Mbps due to the old AP that I am using but it's plenty fast enough. I am file sharing a lot on DropBox and AWS and so far I haven't had to go make a cup of tea while something finished downloading.

Try and run a test with testmy.net

My experience is you get more reliable, more realistic results than ookla which tends to over-optimize. That's why it will sometimes report data rates that are way higher than what you're paying for.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 16, 2022, 3:56 pm

Thanks again Tam, just tried your package. Haven't fully analyzed it yet but looks OK for a 1st run??

BTW I am streaming live video and Mrs Dero along with Step Daughter are streaming what ever else whilst I ran that test!
Attachments
testmy.net.jpg

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”