Windows Vista VS XP Question

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
banpaeng
udonmap.com

Windows Vista VS XP Question

Post by banpaeng » February 28, 2007, 2:26 pm

I was looking at a printer today and it says it works with Windows 98 thru XP.

For this computer challenged person, will this printer work with Vista. IF so I will buy it.

Thanks.

ThaiAm
udonmap.com

Post by ThaiAm » February 28, 2007, 2:40 pm

It will likely work, but for sure it would help more to know what kind of printer it is, make, model etc. You can also check the printer mfg site and see what driver updates may be required.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 28, 2007, 6:43 pm

Ok it is an Epson C-45. Here is a link to the specifications page. From here I can not tell if it will work with Windows Vista.

Maybe some of you computer gurus could look at this and let me know what to do if I buy or will it not work.

Thanks.

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » February 28, 2007, 6:52 pm

Yes, it will work. Vista is backward compatible with XP for drivers. Basically it means that if it's suitable for XP it will be suitable for VIsta. I suspect that the instructions on the box were printed before the advent of Vista.....same thing happened when XP first came out.

Is your Vista OP legal? If so you can use Windows Support Verification software for all the latest drivers and hardware support.
Life's a beach.

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » February 28, 2007, 7:01 pm

Oops forgot the link....have a read here:

CLICK HERE

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 28, 2007, 7:10 pm

BP have had a look at the Epson Europe site. When I asked for the driver for Windows Vista it said

There is no driver available to download for your configuration. This is may be due to the fact that the driver is already included with your operating system.

I don't know my way around Vista, but you could try "Adding a Printer", selecting Epson, then the model & it could well be that the driver is already there.

Have asked them the question.....but don't know if I will receive a reply... :D

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 28, 2007, 7:11 pm

By the way, thanks for all you guys help.

Ok I have read it and now more confused. It says if it is not stated on the box do not insert CD into unit. then it says to look down the page and find your model. I did that and it say CD will be in Box. Which statement is correct.

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » February 28, 2007, 8:43 pm

I have an Apple eMac and have had any problems when upgrading the operating system - or with anything else for that matter.

Its fascinating to see what Pc owners put up with. Isn't time to consider switching to Mac ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 28, 2007, 9:33 pm

I',m not sure of your point Tom. If you want me to switch to a Mac, I am not sure why. Oh well thanks for your imput.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 28, 2007, 9:41 pm

I think it is just a
I am smarter than you comment :roll:
BP

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 28, 2007, 9:43 pm

ALL new operating systems require new drivers for printers etc, even Apple. :!: When X first came out it was months before every printer maker had the correct drivers.

Brian, I would say it could be a no go, but in a month or two it will be ok! But please do not take my word on this. Go to the printer makers web site and see if you can download the driver for vista for that printer. They might even have a note on when they think it will be ready, then ad one month.

Remember most stories/companies have these little stickers, and if a product is VISTA able, don't you think the store would have stuck on a sticker :?:

Buyer beware :!:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 28, 2007, 9:44 pm

Thanks Bob. Guess he is right. I never claimed to be a genious. That way I don't have to impress someone.

To each his own!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » February 28, 2007, 10:00 pm

I should note on my post, that new means just that NEW, not a minor or major update of something old, and Vista is just that; NEW :!: Therefore, I would be 99.9% sure that the XP driver will not work with Vista. If you updated from XP to Vista and your drivers worked, that means that new drivers were included with the Vista update :!:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » February 28, 2007, 10:13 pm

Harry1534 wrote:Yes, it will work. Vista is backward compatible with XP for drivers. Basically it means that if it's suitable for XP it will be suitable for VIsta. I suspect that the instructions on the box were printed before the advent of Vista.....same thing happened when XP first came out.

Is your Vista OP legal? If so you can use Windows Support Verification software for all the latest drivers and hardware support.
Harry I would not assume that if it works in XP it will work in Vista I can give you example I have asus m/b and the via drivers are not supported by vista and it a 64 bit with a 64 bit cpu so we can not assume that it always best to check the web site and model number if it supported by vista thank you Ronnie

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » March 1, 2007, 12:53 am

You guys are right! I should not have made my "I am smarter than you" comment because I am not. Also, I have no reason to want anyone to switch to mac. I just own a five year old computer; not stock in Apple.

However, for years I did put up with the same problems that you all are having until I was steered to Mac by my son. I know what you all are going through and wish you luck. But there really is an easier way.

Please accept my apologies if you think my comments were out of line.

tom nickle

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » March 1, 2007, 7:36 am

uncle tom wrote:You guys are right! I should not have made my "I am smarter than you" comment because I am not. Also, I have no reason to want anyone to switch to mac. I just own a five year old computer; not stock in Apple.

However, for years I did put up with the same problems that you all are having until I was steered to Mac by my son. I know what you all are going through and wish you luck. But there really is an easier way.

Please accept my apologies if you think my comments were out of line.

tom nickle
Not a bit out of line. But maybe a waste of time, for these pee cee users must love their miseries. Just gives them something else to complain about and keeps them happy. :mrgreen:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 1, 2007, 8:53 am

Not a problem Tom. Don't know anything about a Mac or this darn machine either. Actually I called Dakoda last night and I feel like he gave me a good answer. I also wrote to Epson and so far no info. If I do I willl post the reply.

Harry1534
udonmap.com

Post by Harry1534 » March 1, 2007, 11:58 am

In-Box = Drivers are already included in your Operating System and the installation process will start as soon as you will plug your product in.

Stylus C20 Series, Stylus C40 Series, Stylus C41 Series, Stylus C42 Series, Stylus C43 Series, Stylus C44 Series, Stylus C45 Series, Stylus C46 Series, Stylus C50 Series, Stylus C60 Series, Stylus C61 Series, Stylus C62 Series, Stylus C63 Series, Stylus C64 Series, Stylus C66 Series, Stylus C65 Series, Stylus C67 Series, Stylus C68 Series, Stylus C70 Series, Stylus C80 Series, Stylus C82 Series, Stylus C83 Series, Stylus C84 Series, Stylus C85 Series, Stylus C86 Series, Stylus C87 Series, Stylus C88 Series In-Box

Stylus C48 Download available in February

Do not use the software that comes with the printer. Vista already has the drivers and will load them as soon as you plug the printer in.
Life's a beach.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”