Windows 10???

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
mickojak
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by mickojak » January 7, 2016, 9:39 am

My computer has been driving me crazy for a couple of months with a windows 10 upgrade promotion from windows 8.
I can't say that I have ever liked the windows 8 format.
Should I do it or not.
Any suggestions/experience?
Mick

pal52
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by pal52 » January 7, 2016, 9:42 am

mickojak
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by mickojak » January 7, 2016, 11:05 am

Thanks Pal,
I did read that forum and just wondering if people happy with the system now thata few months later.

I would also be happy to know how to get rid of the popup if I decide not to go with it.
Mick

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by Airportwo » January 7, 2016, 11:20 am

Windows 10 is a huge improvement on 8 or 8.1, do it!
Cheers

Nevoil
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by Nevoil » January 7, 2016, 11:35 am

Yes I updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 about 4 weeks ago, took about 16 hours :confused: !! using a dongle, but hay it was worth it. :D

Its a lot better then 8 / 8.1 and there's tweaks you can do. Basically mind is running like Windows of old. :D

Just do it !! is my outlook on it. =D>

parrot
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by parrot » January 7, 2016, 12:11 pm

If your windows 8 is the real deal, I'd upgrade in a flash. Been using win 10 for 6 months. Trouble free

arjay
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by arjay » January 7, 2016, 6:10 pm

I have Windows 10 (free upgrade from W8.1), but it is very controlling/interfering. There is no option not to download updates, though you can delay installing them. They also required my email address and password to set up the original installation.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by mickojak » January 7, 2016, 6:21 pm

Ok, now I'm still not sure what to do.
I have always been happy to stay one system behind as the hackers always target the latest version.
Any opinion on this?
mick

parrot
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by parrot » January 7, 2016, 6:24 pm

arjay wrote:I have Windows 10 (free upgrade from W8.1), but it is very controlling/interfering. There is no option not to download updates, though you can delay installing them. They also required my email address and password to set up the original installation.

Email address: if you're concerned about using your primary email address, set up a secondary one using gmail. It's free. As for the password you provide, it doesn't have to be your 'email' password, simply a password that you would use for 'windows'.

As for auto updates: http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to- ... g-updates/

As for staying one system behind: I've signed my life over to Microsoft to keep me safe. That's why I've also signed up for auto updates.......so that any flaws can be automatically corrected. I'd guess Microsoft is the least of your worries about hackers.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by mickojak » January 7, 2016, 6:28 pm

Thanks Parrot,
That sound good to me.
I'll update on the weekend.
Mick

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by FrazeeDK » January 7, 2016, 7:59 pm

I updated back in August or so on two laptops.. My opinion; better than 7 or 8/8.1.. Boots up quicker but get kludgily slow on some applications.. The new Edge browser is slower than IE and a day or two of browsing can leave over a gigabyte of Temporary Internet files so use either a file cleaner app or The Edge function to clear browsing data. I think I've mumbled POS about a thousand times or more since I started using Edge. Google Windows 10 issues" and read through a few of them. They'll tell you how to tighten up the privacy and fix some of the nagging operator headache items in Edge...

One of my complaints about Windows 10 is that downloads must be automatic.. The weekly cumulative updates can be quite large, so after booting up in the morning and things start to drag it may be that patches are being downloaded.. Windows 7 used to show you that was happening.. I see no where in 10 where it shows that...

Also, Microsoft touts that there will be "NO Service Packs" for Windows 10.. That's because they'll push a whole new installation down to you at 4-5gb.. I've gotten Windows 10 Version 1510 pushed to both my laptops in October.. Time consuming and no explanation as to what this new version of 10 actually fixed...
Dave

wazza
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by wazza » January 7, 2016, 10:38 pm

I guess a few restaurants and bars around town, might get a few more visits when downloads are required.

Use someone else's WIFI

arjay
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by arjay » January 7, 2016, 10:52 pm

A somewhat topical article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35251484
Microsoft reveals details of Windows 10 usage tracking

Microsoft has revealed details about the data it is tracking via its new operating system (OS), Windows 10.

In a blog, the firm listed statistics on how many minutes had been spent by users in total in the Edge browser and the number of photographs which had been viewed in the Photo app.

The firm also said that Windows 10 was now active on over 200 million devices.

However, some people have questioned whether the data tracking is a threat to privacy.

Since Windows 10 was launched, Microsoft has been tracking information about how those with the OS are using it.

Until now though, relatively little has been known about what data is being collected.

I'll see if I can find how to set my feedback option to basic.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by waanjai » January 7, 2016, 11:38 pm

mickojak wrote:I would also be happy to know how to get rid of the popup if I decide not to go with it.
Id you want to get rid of the popup, you have to delete the Windows Update which brought the Windows 10 Reservation onto your PC. That was: Update KB3035583

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Go to Programs and Features
3. Go to "View installed updates" (left side of monitor)
4. Search (upper right corner) for: Update KB3035583
5. Choose Uninstall and confirm in following dialogue
6. Restart the computer. Done.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by mickojak » January 8, 2016, 11:42 am

Ok,
I'm thinking windows 10 and downloads are too complicated for me who does just basic stuff.
Thanks for the info Waanjai, I'll get rid of it.
mick

Nevoil
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by Nevoil » January 8, 2016, 4:59 pm

Just a quick input guys, anyone who is running Windows 10 a good option to have to hand is what is known as 'God Mode' :D It is available as well in Windows 10 as it was in Windows Vista, 7,8 etc :- =D>

Just Google it and off you go, conveniently putting Setting all around the Operating System in one folder. :-"

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by BobHelm » January 9, 2016, 8:21 am

mickojak wrote:My computer has been driving me crazy for a couple of months with a windows 10 upgrade promotion from windows 8.
I can't say that I have ever liked the windows 8 format.
Should I do it or not.
Any suggestions/experience?
Mick
If you are running Windows 8 then all the 'smart money' suggests that you should upgrade immediately.
Thanks to a quirk in the support lifecycle, Windows 8 users are about to be cut off from security updates.When the first Patch Tuesday of 2016 rolls around on January 12, it will represent the last batch of updates for Windows 8.
This means that from that date any new flaws found in Windows will no longer be fixed by Microsoft, so your computer will be vulnerable to attacks via those routes.

Whether you update to Windows 10 or 8.1 is really a decision only you can make - but upgrade you should; or stop using Microsoft products all together & go down the free Linux route...

LU
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by LU » January 13, 2016, 12:22 am

Just FYI. Apparently Microsoft has dropped support for Windows 7 along with earlier versions of their operating systems. To those who still use the older systems that means no more security updates/patches and perhaps an increased vulnerability to online attacks.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-us ... -versions/

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by LoongLee » January 13, 2016, 3:03 am

FYI LU et al; I understand the link you posted referring to Microsoft's focusing their security updates and patches on INTERNET EXPLORER 11 and not earlier INTERNET EXPLORER browser versions,,,,, NOT operating systems. Compare your typed input to the Hyperlink you posted. I think many are getting the 2 confused. Microsoft will also start to limit support of the operating systems themselves later.
ลุงลี

mickojak
udonmap.com

Windows 10???

Post by mickojak » January 13, 2016, 6:49 am

Ok. I downloaded it. Everything seemed fine until i went to use a program on my desktop. Gone. Tried to download it again. Wont allow. Then found a couple other programs missing. Tried to turn computer off. 3 hours later still not shut down. Too much drama for me. Googled remove and went back to 8.1.
windows 10. Thanks but no thanks.
mic

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”