Best Internet supplier in Udon

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BDK
udonmap.com

Post by BDK » February 16, 2016, 8:58 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a new Internet supplier, as I'm not satisfied with the connection I get from Udon Internet. I currently pay 599+vat a month for a 25/3 connection, but it is very unstable.

I mostly use my internet for streaming - either Netflix through my Apple TV, or from my Android box.

I have heard a rumor that True is throttling the speed down, if they suspect that you are streaming - heard it from a guy who lives in Pattaya - any experiences on that, or any other recommendations?

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » February 17, 2016, 11:56 am

Many places in Udon only have 1 or 2 suppliers of internet, so to recommend anyone is no point unless you list your choices or say where you live.
Only 3BB and TOT was available where I lived, and I was happy with 3BB (13/1 for 963 baht/month), but as normal in Thailand it was unstable at times...

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » February 17, 2016, 4:44 pm

TOT, TT&T, MAXnet, 3BB, True, I had them all, and they all suck. :crying:

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 17, 2016, 6:05 pm

We have TRuemove H, download speed varies a lot, inside Thailand ok but at the minute you wish to access an overseas site , the speed goes down drastically, maybe due to the various filters installed by True and others. I don t know about streaming speed but by experience i found out that downloading 100 images ( my photos) the service will come to a crawl, call it throttling ..... My friend watches Thai soaps no problem.. i try to access overseas news clips the internet either keep buffering or freezes.. Technician came few times and declared << ALL OK >>.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 17, 2016, 6:58 pm

We use Cat at 30mb in the shop, 3BB at 30mb in the shop and a spare True at 30mb in my office. The house has 3bb at 15 I think it is.
True = 740 a month (Least reliable)
3BB is 1,300 a month. VERY reliable
Cat 1,605 a month. Great for the gamers
3bb House 630 a month.

TRUE is the weakest for speedtest,net
3bb the best.
Cat stable and the least dropout.

Uploads speeds consistent and fine. I'm considering going to 50 or 100mb with 3BB soon for uploading HD footages to archives.. but sort of treading water until I see/hear any reality about sigle gateway stuff.

Hope this helps.. data rather than my opinion.. But I use 3 suppliers.

Nevoil
udonmap.com

Post by Nevoil » February 17, 2016, 8:35 pm

Hi
Just to add to the confusion :shock: I'm out Ban Muang way in a village, I use True H 3g+ on a Dongle (air card) have no issues. :D
Weekly cost 89bt. :D I can watch footie streaming on Sat / Sunday \:D/ . Can't fault it !!! =D>
Tops. :-"

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 18, 2016, 10:27 am

Hmm, everyone gets different results

3BBB 10MB test out around 11 - drops connection 1 or 2 times daily, but reboot router solves

True 30MB test out around 50 - seems rock solid

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » February 18, 2016, 12:50 pm

Whenever True comes to a crawl I use my wife's AIS flat via her iPhone (hotspot). Always works. Already made me think about using LTE (or similar) instead of cable all the time...

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 19, 2016, 8:16 pm

We have AIS fibre, but to be honest disappointing. Little better than 10MB 3BB we had before.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 19, 2016, 11:48 pm

I had true at the shop up the road 30mb but most of the time exceeded that, had 3bb at the house, absolute rubbish. storm took it out 2 years back, reported it and they could not ping my modem, carried on billing me for 9 months, it's been 2 years and they still ain't fixed it. waiting for true to come to my soi now
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

BDK
udonmap.com

Post by BDK » February 20, 2016, 2:43 pm

That's a very mixed bag of replies!

I'm staying at Lumpini. I think more or less all of the suppliers are available here, there's plenty of brochures in the administration office.

When my connection is working (just went down again this morning) I'm getting 30+mbit/5mbit at Speedtest.net, but the performance in day to day use is rubbish.

I had hopes of positive reviews on the AIS fiber option, but that doesn't seem to positive, and True throttling the speed seems useless in this day and age.

I have considered doing 3G/4G flat rate subscription, but I'm not too impressed of the speed available when I do a test.

Maybe there's simply just too much filtering going on, to that it makes sense to find a faster connection?

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 21, 2016, 12:19 pm

papafarang wrote:I had true at the shop up the road 30mb but most of the time exceeded that, had 3bb at the house, absolute rubbish. storm took it out 2 years back, reported it and they could not ping my modem, carried on billing me for 9 months, it's been 2 years and they still ain't fixed it. waiting for true to come to my soi now
In defense of 3BB - Have had for many years and yes have had problems, but one call and they show up the same day and fix the problem. Has always been outside problem, once a bird nest in their thing'ee hanging on pole.

On True have never noticed any throttling the speed, both seem to work fine watching movies and tv shows, and I will guess the servers are in the states.

BDK
udonmap.com

Post by BDK » February 23, 2016, 1:40 pm

The signal from the ISP (Udon Internet) disappeared sometime Friday night/Saturday morning, and hasn't been there since. Both me and the girlfriend have been trying to contact them by phone, Facebook and line, but get no reply at all - start to wonder if they have abandoned the company?

Anyway, I will be going to look for a new supplier tonight. My neighbor (well, sort of neighbor) have AIS, and tells me it works perfectly in his condo. I will go have a look at that, as well as True. I'm just not interested in paying for all kinds of extra tv channels, so hopefully it's still possible to get a plain and simple internet connection.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 13, 2016, 9:56 pm

A bit off topic. But here is a great article that should be of a particular interest to our USA members. Several tables showing the internet speeds of major ISP , the Regional and National winners.
Enjoy
http://www.pcmag.com/article/345123/fas ... works-2016

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Best Internet supplier in Udon

Post by parrot » March 21, 2022, 2:05 pm

I've been with TOT fiber for a number of years...can't complain about the speeds....seem to increase as time passes and price decreases.
I did have a recent problem with my wifi speed as opposed to my desktop-connected speed, so I called TOT hotline on a Sunday night......English speaking rep took my info and said help would be on the way on Monday. Today, Monday, at 10, they arrived at the house....3 technicians with a battery of equipment. They were ready to replace my modem/router if necessary (it wasn't).......they resolved the problem in a few minutes and told me to call if the problem reoccurs. Thinking about our 13 month stay in one of Texas's biggest cities.....our daughter's ATT connection never exceeded 100mbps......often times much slower......for about 7 times the price. And nothing....like modems/routers/lines are free.
I noticed the first post on this thread....from a mere 6 years ago
"I'm looking for a new Internet supplier, as I'm not satisfied with the connection I get from Udon Internet. I currently pay 599+vat a month for a 25/3 connection, but it is very unstable."
Times change.....for the better!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 21, 2022, 6:19 pm

Yes, from having to use an aircard dongle and getting 36kbits 12 years ago, we then had 3BB (a bit flakey), now AIS and have fibre internet and speeds as good as in the UK 99% of the time. Likewise when you call them out, within 24 hours (but no problems for a few years). About a third cheaper than the UK - and when visiting the UK, twice have had issues which took weeks to resolve (BT).
Our AIS also includes a set top box for the TV with many free channels (mainly Thai).

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » April 21, 2022, 4:19 pm

We installed ToT fibre in Udon 2010 but failures were often and customer service was dreadful. Only one available in our area at the time.

In 2015 I tried to get 3BB, there was an office literally across the road. They could not do a speed test for me outside Thailand and could not confirm when I might get service. Aborted due to their lack of interest.

Ended up with TRUE included a mobile SIM, VoIP line and TV box. I have since cancelled all the English channels as I found myself not watching them as my commercial watching tolerance is diminished. I don’t use the home VoIP line but we use the SIM for our business. TRUE customer service is very good in my opinion and in English (call center in BKK). Still with TRUE as of today and happy.

In Nong Khai I have CAT. Poor customer service but we have two sequential business VoIP phone numbers with them as they were the only game in town in 2016 so I am locked in.

Due to CAT unreliability, I also got AIS and purchased a dual WAN router. This complicates matters but we always have internet and the phone lines FWD to mobile numbers. At some point I may drop AIS but not due to customer service (which has been good and in English) but rather the second fibre connection is not really necessary once I solved the VoIP backend FWD riddle. For now, the extra 600 THB for AIS is a bit of a luxury but the price is right.

NOTE: The dual WAN router allows for a failover to a mobile phone hotspot which would be plenty for internet service in the event of an outage with CAT I suppose.

One thing I found with all ISP’s is an annual call to them asking about promotions typically ends up with at least a faster package but often cheaper too. They are less inclined to push this so the burden is kind of on us to ask. I put a reminder in Outlook to check annually.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”