Buy Computer from USA

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by Charlieb » April 16, 2016, 10:08 am

Looking for previous experiences.

I want to order a new laptop or tablet from the USA. I don't want to buy in Thailand as I want a pure US operating system plus I need to configure the computer to my specific needs. Also, I sometimes doubt if what I buy is here is authentic or a Chinese knockoff ;)

My question is, if I order from the USA and have it delivered here will it get through Customs OK or will I have problems?

Anyone done this?

udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by 12345 » April 16, 2016, 10:41 am

Luck of the draw.........I've had 3 sent over, via my brother, and all made it no problem. If sent direct from seller, I would expect it to get hit with at least a 10 % duty on the declared value, if lucky.

I've had 2 electric items arrive from seller, from China, Express Del, so had declared values, and got hit with 10 %. Both $300 USD items.

Also had a heavy item, sent from brother, who had a $100 USD declared value, and they tried to hit me with 80 % duty, I refused, and showed them the actual receipt of item, quite a bit more than 100, and should have gotten a 10 % as a personal for kitchen item. The said it has a motor............ WTF ........ what kitchen appliance doesn't, and stated it would be 30 %. So it was returned to customs, and received back 2 weeks later..........with a 40 % duty...... :shock:

Even with the shipping and 40 % duty, it was a better version and cheaper than same in Thailand.

Luck of the draw.......and they will assess it at what ever mood they are in. I have a Thai name, with Thai script, and that helped, 2 out of 3 times.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by Charlieb » April 16, 2016, 10:54 am

I guess my best bet would be to have someone put it in their suitcase when coming here. Wouldn't take up much room.

On all my trips I have carried a laptop in a separate laptop bag and have never been asked about it except to take it out when going through check in.

Luck of the draw - I was in the states a little over a month ago and should have bought one then. But just started having problems since I returned.

Thanks for response

papafarang
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by papafarang » April 16, 2016, 11:11 am

a few years back I was asked to help pick up a computer system that was at the post office, some kind of super computer sent from the states, including his own server , I remember the guy saying it had 64gb of ram :shock: .anyway we went and the thing came in several large boxes, after a while we were allowed to take it, only after he paid 1800$ in taxes :shock: . apparently he's ex American military and into that dark net stuff, runs a web site where you can only get on with his permission, typed it in once and my computer freaked out, the site itself is protected with a virus so I kept out. anyway the guy didn't bat an eyelid about the 1800$. I know nothing about computers , but I think having your own server ain't cheap.
you are right about dodgy computers here though, had a custom one built, lost a file and tried a recovery program to find it, the thing started finding deleted jpeg pics from 4 years before I got the computer, turned out they had put a second hand drive in it, robbing gits
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

samuel
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by samuel » April 16, 2016, 11:28 am

12345 wrote:Luck of the draw.........I've had 3 sent over, via my brother, and all made it no problem. If sent direct from seller, I would expect it to get hit with at least a 10 % duty on the declared value, if lucky.
no need to be lucky and no need to expect anything.
once the parcel arrived at udon thani head post office, you'll get a note to your home and you can pick it up there. vat is 7% on the declared value.
clear and simple.
mine was sent by a friend (computer not notebook) but in original acer box back in 2015....

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by Lone Star » April 16, 2016, 4:57 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by RLTrader » April 16, 2016, 6:53 pm

Have to agree with Lone Star, plus USPS international is low cost. Only difference I use english and send to self and have never paid anything. Gets here from US 7 to 10 days. Ok, once it got missed sent to Jakarta, and it took 20 to 30 days.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by Stantheman » April 16, 2016, 10:58 pm

It would be best to have someone get for you and send. Due to some U.S. export restrictions some companies can not ship computers etc. outside U.S. or Europe.

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by Nigglyb » April 16, 2016, 11:36 pm

There was a user on here called "Liam Dale" posting around Feb this year about setting a high end computer shop up. Maybe worth messaging him if he's still around as may be able to get some top end spec stuff in Udon so no worries about Chinese knock offs, shipping & tax etc. He was also talking about building some towers from scratch so perhaps could set up US op system & build to your spec

thrilled
udonmap.com

Buy Computer from USA

Post by thrilled » April 17, 2016, 1:58 am

Customs is A hit or miss.Do. You feel lucky?Well do you?
"Dirty Harry" Clint Eastwood.Had to drop it in there.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”