We need a computer Savvy person for 1 day or so?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Dingo
udonmap.com

We need a computer Savvy person for 1 day or so?

Post by Dingo » August 18, 2016, 6:10 pm

Hi all,
Is there anyone around Udon, closer to Nong Han or prepared to travel 23 km's to help us set up a web domain plus set up a word press site within the domain?
The word press, after it is installed, I think I can manage the editing etc.,
If there is anyone who can speak English and Thai with my wife, please call us.
Dingo: English 085 1798729
Thai 087 3257371

Would like something done as soon as possible?

Hope to receive some replies very soon

Cheers
Dingo

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: We need a computer Savvy person for 1 day or so?

Post by BobHelm » August 18, 2016, 6:34 pm

You don't need someone who is computer savvy - I am that, but would be no use to you in your quest whatsoever.. :D
You need someone who has a good reputation for designing & creating websites.
They never need to come anywhere near you or you computer either, it is the type of work that they tend to like to do on their own equipment!!
You want to ask to see examples of sites that they have previously created - to make sure that their style is your style.
Lastly, if you want a really good job done then it will not come cheap.

You will find plenty of offers (over the Internet) for people to do it cheaply. It is not, in my opinion, a sensible way to go.

If you decide that a professional job is just too expensive, then I would recommend that you actually do the job yourself. A simple website is not a great deal more difficult to produce than a good slide show.
There are hosting companies who will cheaply host your site & offer easy to create pages.

However if you want a state of the art site that attracts clients it will not be cheap, or quick!!!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 18, 2016, 6:41 pm

BobHelm wrote:You don't need someone who is computer savvy - I am that, but would be no use to you in your quest whatsoever.. :D
They never need to come anywhere near you or you computer either, it is the type of work that they tend to like to do on their own equipment!!
You want to ask to see examples of sites that they have previously created - to make sure that their style is your style.

You will find plenty of offers (over the Internet) for people to do it cheaply. It is not, in my opinion, a sensible way to go.

If you decide that a professional job is just too expensive, then I would recommend that you actually do the job yourself. A simple website is not a great deal more difficult to produce than a good slide show.
There are hosting companies who will cheaply host your site & offer easy to create pages.

However if you want a state of the art site that attracts clients it will not be cheap, or quick!!!
Correct on all counts, BH.

I did this back in the US for years and never met half of my clients in person. It can all be done from hundreds of miles away. They saw all they needed to see online and approved or disapproved, and I followed with editing. They were able to send samples of things they liked in order to provide ideas/guidance. It's easy and fast.

Had one client who wanted to come sit and watch me work. He soon found out how mundane the whole process is and how fast things are created and just set to the side until all the important coding was done. He visited for one day. When it was over, he understood why I had told him to sit back at home and just watch the results play out as I sent him links. He was happy as a clam when it was all finished.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 18, 2016, 7:03 pm

Dingo wrote:Hi all,
Is there anyone around Udon, closer to Nong Han or prepared to travel 23 km's to help us set up a web domain plus set up a word press site within the domain?
Thai 087 3257371

Cheers
Dingo
Greetings Dingo,

BobHelm is right.

If on an expat budget you might want to try one of the web self-publishing systems out there. In recent years they have got a lot easier to use.

Here's a small list:

https://www.squarespace.com/

https://wordpress.com/

http://wix.com

Each of those let you buy a domain and make a website yourself.

It's often a good way to start as you can always hand it off to a web designer or graphic designer later to finish the difficult bits.

Good luck...
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

mac1966
udonmap.com

Post by mac1966 » August 18, 2016, 8:23 pm

If you want to try yourself use weebly.Com it's free to build your own website and free hosting. It's also easy

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » August 18, 2016, 10:37 pm

redwolf wrote:
Dingo wrote:Hi all,
Thai 087 3257371

Cheers
Dingo
Greetings Dingo,

BobHelm is right.

If on an expat budget you might want to try one of the web self-publishing systems out there. In recent years they have got a lot easier to use.

Here's a small list:

https://www.squarespace.com/

https://wordpress.com/

http://wix.com

Each of those let you buy a domain and make a website yourself.

It's often a good way to start as you can always hand it off to a web designer or graphic designer later to finish the difficult bits.

Good luck...

Agree.

A good way to get it started if you have the time.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 18, 2016, 11:39 pm

Also Dingo,

It might all seem a bit complicated as compared to hiring out, but you'd be impressed as to how many useful "how to" videos on youtube are available, on all of these self-publishing tools.

Just search "Squarespace How To Make A Website" or similar in the Google "Videos" area.

They show you where to click, and if they go too fast, there's always the pause button.

Inside an hour or so and for very little cash you could be up and running on your own.

It would be interesting to see this thread become a bit of a how-to. Enough members in this region all have used these tools for some time. A lot of useful free advice.

Another thing to consider, Facebook and the like have replaced some of the need for websites due to how well they engage the market. Websites are less needed, so OK to stay minimal.

Example: Products can be listed in a PDF file instead of an e-commerce "cart". Services the same way as a downloadable PDF "Brochure".

Also, out here I see more use of "LINE Shop" among the Thais.

RW

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 18, 2016, 11:58 pm

mac1966 wrote:If you want to try yourself use weebly.Com it's free to build your own website and free hosting. It's also easy

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Tapatalk
True that, weebly.com sites tend to do quite well in Google & Bing Search Results for a variety of SEO factors.

So if you need to be found easy without spending on SEO or PPC, Weebly's free system is a solid one.

Notice how clever WIX is, they bought all the ad space inside the Google Howto Videos for Weebly, click "Skip Ad" to see the actual Weebly Howto:

RW

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » August 19, 2016, 5:03 am

Thanks to all for your open and honest comments,
I know it sounds very immature, however I have downloaded a specific word press program that I consider suits our needs. Trying to unzip and actually setup the program is becoming a nightmare.Maybe I'm not unzipping correctly but cannot find any exe files to start it up???? The program itself is already setup on the demo and then free to edit and add as we require it. Of course then it becomes a hassle to establish if it can be in dual language: eg; Eng and Thai?
With the domain, there are many sites out there for obtaining a name ,however I do worry about the security aspect within? Thereafter, once we have he domain name, it also will require a new email account.
I'll keep trying with some of the links that have been sent but if anyone has a bit of free time to help us get the site started, either at our place or remotely, I would certainly appreciate some guidance. We are happy to pay a reasonable daily rate, even if it is to just point us in the right direction.
As usual, some very good points raised with your replies. I appreciate it them very much. Thanks all and if you can keep them coming, I'd feel more confident with the knowledge that I am not taking a gamble on anything that may be a waste of time in the future.
Basically, we have an opportunity to start a business within our region where our research has shown could be reasonably profitable. The locals are keen to support, so we'd like to give it a go!
Thanks
Cheers
Dingo

ting_tong
udonmap.com

You do not need a computer Savvy person for 1 day or so?

Post by ting_tong » August 19, 2016, 5:56 am

BobHelm wrote:You don't need someone who is computer savvy - I am that, but would be no use to you in your quest whatsoever.. :D

Bob is 100% correct, what Mr Dingo needs to do is to start writing and saving all his text and get his pictures ready. He also needs to find a site that he would like to try to copy for a template. All this recommended "free and easy" stuff may be free and easy, but you wont be able to make any money from a "site builder" copy and paste website.

You are correct about trying to add Thai text to a website.

I'll offer one bit of free advise do NOT use godaddy.com for anything, they are idiots and will "lose" your site, then ask for $200 to put it back.

Why would a multimillionaire Thai lady have me design and make 2 websites for her resorts?

redwolf
udonmap.com

Re: You do not need a computer Savvy person for 1 day or so?

Post by redwolf » August 19, 2016, 2:18 pm

ting_tong wrote: I'll offer one bit of free advise do NOT use godaddy.com for anything, they are idiots and will "lose" your site, then ask for $200 to put it back.
EXACTLY. NEVER used them but hired by many in years prior to fix the mess Godaddy made.

Don't fall for theirs or other firms' trickery regarding massively discounted domain buys like "1 penny" or "$2.95 a month", as they are all sites that forcibly add services as you click screen through screen doing the buy, and have expertly configured the setup to bilk your cash over time.

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » August 19, 2016, 4:30 pm

Thanks to all who have replied to this thread. All the comments have been very welcome.
Can I give some praise to Lanna Jeff at Anthrosites for actually taking the time to call and discuss my predicament and future goals.
I'm pleased to say that Jeff will be working with me on this project and from various discussions and emails we have had, I have seen a number of his previous websites and happy to use his services. I'm sure he will agree that the concept I am looking for is a little more than just a download. Anyway, all good now and progress has started.
Thanks again for all the replies.
Cheers
Dingo

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: You do not need a computer Savvy person for 1 day or so?

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 19, 2016, 9:14 pm

ting_tong wrote: I'll offer one bit of free advise do NOT use godaddy.com for anything, they are idiots and will "lose" your site, then ask for $200 to put it back.
They are still about the cheapest to get your domains from.
That's what I do and use none of the other services.

If you can point me to another provider that matches their prices I would be interested.

FWIW I've used them for quite a long time.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 13, 2016, 8:39 am

You ended up with a nice looking site Dingo.
Glad it all worked out for you well!!

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » October 13, 2016, 4:45 pm

Thanks Bob,
Appreciate those kind words and thoughts on our new website.
Anthrosites did and still is doing an excellent job. He'll be continuing the IT side whilst we concentrate on keeping up with the new demand in Real Estate our company has generated. For those who haven't seen Jeff at Anthrosites work, check his own website out at the top of this UM section or visit ours http://www.isanrealestate.com. A little plug there for ourselves as well if we can be of service to any members? Jeff guided us with a brief given to him, and pulled it together superbly. Kudos to Jeff all round. Great work and a great guy. Highly recommend him and his services.
Thanks for the positive feedback BobHelm.

LannaJeff
udonmap.com

Post by LannaJeff » October 16, 2016, 3:36 pm

Many thanks for the kind words Bob & Ernie (Dingo) - much appreciated. I wish all projects had such committed, hard-working people behind them, willing to make it work and unwilling to compromise on any standards or components. It really makes work fulfilling and pleasurable.

Good luck with your business, not that you need any luck; I'm sure you'll do very well and fill a much-needed void in the real estate business here. I'm happy to be a part of http://www.isanrealestate.com as well as having a new mate in the area.
AnthroSites, Websites for Humans

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » October 18, 2016, 3:49 am

Nice site and presented very well with good quality pictures, but may I and my old eyes make a recommendation. Where you are listing the price can you place a space between the THB and first number as it kind of runs together for my eyes on some prices.

LannaJeff
udonmap.com

Post by LannaJeff » October 18, 2016, 8:54 am

Hi Stan - OK, hope it's better for you and your eyes now. Good recommendation.
AnthroSites, Websites for Humans

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2016, 9:51 am

Yes indeed, very nice job.

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » October 18, 2016, 9:54 am

Hi Stan,
Thanks for your observations and recommendations. Our goal is to create not only a great website but also a great progressive, lateral thinking company with new innovative marketing and direction. Our personal experience led us down this path with "shonky so called commission Brokers" and lack of attention to the customer.
We would welcome any feedback from all readers/members as to how we can improve the site and service.
Liam Dale, Stantheman and LannaJeff have all pointed out minor details which have since been rectified.
If we can help anyone with their property needs, feel free to contact us through our website http://www.isanrealestate.com
LannaJeff..... A real pleasure working with you! looking forward to our future success together and changes planned for a comfortable "User Friendly" website.

Cheers all

Dingo

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”