Scanguard ..... advice for numbskulls like me please

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Scanguard ..... advice for numbskulls like me please

Post by stattointhailand » January 2, 2017, 7:43 pm

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Scanguard ..... advice for numbskulls like me please

Post by BobHelm » January 2, 2017, 8:07 pm

If you search the internet via Google you will find many experts who are not quite so enamored with the product.
One of the main worries is that the product has only been around since September & details of the company behind it are sketchy to say the least.
Plus what does it actually do that is not already offered by existing, reputable companies with a solid history behind them??

As far as a free standard virus checker is concerned then it is difficult to beat a combination of Windows free offering plus free Malwarebytes.
As far as 'speeding up the system' then I would be, personally, extremely reluctant to download software onto a pc that I didn't fully understand how it was going to achieve that aim.
Just download CCleaner that, at least, is doing something that is easily explained & works.. :D

If anyone is really that worried about their data then they should not step anywhere near either Windows, Apple or Google. They should be using a variety of Linux that is designed specifically to keep you safe.

As far as the linked article is concerned Statts...
The most important part of it is right at the top of the piece,,

Advertorial by Scanguard,,, :

Snake oil is still selling as well on the Internet as it ever did in the Wild West... :D

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 2, 2017, 8:21 pm

[quote="BobHelm"]If you search the internet via Google you will find many experts who are not quite so enamored with the product.
As far as the linked article is concerned Statts...
The most important part of it is right at the top of the piece,=
Advertorial by Scanguard,,, :
Statts,
To my regret I proceeded with the offer and am now the recipient of a Free 45 trial, which I am finding a nightmare, but have no idea how or if I can cancel it, and return to "normality" Over the last decade or so, I have not always seen eye to eye with him, but I have never known Bob Helm to provide anything other than good advice, as regards computer/TV related matters, and I strongly urge you do as he has advised.to follow his advice.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 2, 2017, 8:37 pm

Thank you gents .......... agreed Mat, I have always been grateful for Bob's advice on any "techie" items =D> .......... footie may be another matter though :-" :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 2, 2017, 8:59 pm

Ha, Philistines... :D
mathusalah80 wrote:, but have no idea how or if I can cancel it, and return to "normality"
The problem is that these type of programs can be, deliberately, pretty hard to get rid of. Unfortunately, if you search the internet, the 'cures' offered are often far worse than the disease. :shock:

You might want to consider downloading the 30 day free trial of this program, or the Freeware version.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html

I have not used the Freeware version, but do have the Pro version & it is very easy to use & gets rid of all the 'left over' hidden parts of a program that 're-install' the program when you just try & remove it using 'normal' methods.

Sorry to say that if something like Revo won't get rid of it then you are left with few options, re-installing Windows being one...

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » January 2, 2017, 11:16 pm

Bob, can he go to an earlier "backup" date before his install of said software and restore?
ลุงลี

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » January 2, 2017, 11:26 pm

BobHelm wrote:If anyone is really that worried about their data then they should not step anywhere near either Windows, Apple or Google. They should be using a variety of Linux that is designed specifically to keep you safe.
+1
Very sound advice =D>

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 3, 2017, 7:06 am

LoongLee wrote:Bob, can he go to an earlier "backup" date before his install of said software and restore?
That would certainly work LL...
People are not as adept as they probably should be with Windows at keeping backups though...

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 6, 2017, 9:58 am

BobHelm wrote:Ha, Philistines... :D

You might want to consider downloading the 30 day free trial of this program, or the Freeware version.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html
I have not used the Freeware version, but do have the Pro version & it is very easy to use & gets rid of all the 'left over' hidden parts of a program that 're-install' the program when you just try & remove it using 'normal' methods.
Sorry to say that if something like Revo won't get rid of it then you are left with few options, re-installing Windows being one...
Belated thanks for your kind advice. I will attempt to follow it, and see what further 'mess up' I can achieve. :roll:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 6, 2017, 11:02 am

Good luck.

When you start Revo it should look something like this.. There will be an icon for every program on your computer.
Revo.jpg
Mouse click on the Scanguard icon (they should be listed alphabetically) & then click the Uninstall button at the top of the program.
Revo will then take a little time (couple of minutes) while backing up your setup & will then launch whatever 'uninstall' program that comes with Scanguard - if there is not one then it will use the standard Windows uninstall.
While the uninstall program is running you will see a small screen that has a SCAN button near the bottom of it. Once uninstall is finished the scan button is highlighted.
Press scan.
You will (potentially) have 2 screens.
The first will be all the Scanguard program alterations to 'settings' that the uninstall program has not removed.
Select All & Delete - plus Yes to any 'Are you sure' questions.
The second screen will be any Scanguard files that uninstall did not remove.
Again select All & delete.

Note...
1. You might not get any screens after you have selected to scan. That would be good news as it would mean that uninstall got rid of everything on its' own - I doubt that will happen though.
2. After the uninstall program has run & before you can press the scan button you might get a message that says you need to restart your computer to finish the task.
If you do, press No/Ignore & continue on & run scan.
Restart your computer only after you have got rid of all the extra bits that uninstall didn't get rid of..

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 7, 2017, 10:07 am

It really irritates me that they advertise a "FREE" program, then after a big download you find out that you must pay $39.95 for it. If it's a trial offer, they should tell you. On that basis, I call it a scam.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 8, 2017, 10:45 am

glalt wrote:I call it a scam.
Agreed, and it gets worse!
I received a message from my Scanguard Account Manager (??????), advising my computer had a serious problem and that, therefore, I should contact him urgently whereupon he would help me resolve it.
I ran a full scan ,using ESETNOD32 at the end of which the result came up as 'no existing problems'.
I then ran the Scanguard scan which, when finished reported:
Antivirus 877 problems.
Web Security: 1 Serious issue.
System boost: Disabled
As regards Web Security, through the welter of Scanguard communications I continue to receive, I have the impression that the serious issue has to do with an Cookie? of App?. of which I managed to get all but the last three digits, (
(C:\users\user\AppSData\Local\microsoft\Windows\1NetCookies\low\OIMGNWR3??)

Incidentally, although I assume, in my naivety it is unrelated to this Scanguard scam, here is now appearing at the top right hand corner of my screen the notation "Instal the New Firefox"???

Meantime my gratitude to Bob Helm for his more detailed instructions, which I am hopeful even I may now be able to follow! [-o< . I will report back in a day or so, with the good, or bad, news.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 8, 2017, 7:38 pm

I downloaded the big download and as soon as I saw that they wanted me to pay to remove the problems, I used Bitdefender and Malwarebytes to get rid of all the extra ----. Hopefully I got it all and have learned a lesson.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » January 11, 2017, 7:44 pm

mathusalah80 wrote: Meantime my gratitude to Bob Helm for his more detailed instructions, which I am hopeful even I may now be able to follow! [-o< . I will report back in a day or so, with the good, or bad, news.
\:D/ \:D/ SUCCESS! :D :D.
Yet another member added to the ever growing list of computer illiterates, indebted to Bob Helm for his invaluable help. =D>

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 11, 2017, 7:53 pm

Really glad it worked Matt, congratulations.

It is a pity that non technical users cannot rely on honesty on the Internet though - but I guess that is just wishful thinking.. :D

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » January 11, 2017, 10:08 pm

BobHelm wrote:It is a pity that non technical users cannot rely on honesty on the Internet though - but I guess that is just wishful thinking.. :D
Unfortunately there are so many liars online these days. Sometimes it makes me wish I'd never invented the internet
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”