Best Smart / Internet TV?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
jimjay
udonmap.com

Best Smart / Internet TV?

Post by jimjay » February 2, 2017, 7:57 am

I watch a TON of youtube old classic movies, boxing matches, same day sports replays like Ximo Pierto Final and my kids and wife use it a lot also to watch all their stuff. The main TV sits idle as cable is boring until about 7:30pm when the Thai soaps come on.

The youngest watches youtube for all her language learning & cartoons, the oldest watches all her soap operas and Minecraft howto, & wife has all if her Korean soap operas as well, so my question is this, aside from any "added hardware" box is there a television buyable in Udon (not on order from BKK basis) with internet and specifically Youtube and web browser access built in?

I've gone to many places and had a look but the staff are all useless as to real answers.

We'd rather just have one 42" bit of hardware we can plug an Ethernet cable and Coaxial cable and GO.

If there's something like this at Tesco, Home Pro, Power buy, etc if so which model would have the above specs + as much home theaterness built in?

Is this a bad idea for some reason making it more preferable to add a google or other hardware box?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Best Smart / Internet TV?

Post by BobHelm » February 2, 2017, 8:20 am

All the newer TV's are called Smart, which is what you are looking for.
So any of the Samsung, LG (etc. etc.) sets out there that are not extraordinarily cheap are likely to be Smart.
If you look at the front of the sets, at the various icons that they display on them then one should clearly say Smart.
The TV will then act exactly as if you had added an Android box to a non Smart set - which is, of course, your other option. Buy an Android Box for a couple of thousand baht & convert a tv that you already have.
There are advantages & disadvantages to either approach.
If you need a new TV then it is probably more sensible to buy a Smart one. Within the not too distant future it is unlikely that non Smart TV's will even be available.
The advantage that the Smart TV has over a set top box is that it is probably a whole lot easier to set up & use. The disadvantage is that technology always moves along. If you have a set top box then in a couple of years you can probably buy a new, far quicker box for a couple of thousand baht.
There is, of course, nothing to stop you adding a set top box to a Smart TV, if speed became a real issue in a few years time.. :D

Here is a pretty good review of what is good to buy in the UK at the moment.
The model numbers might vary a bit in Thailand, but it might give you some ideas as to what things you should be looking at in the advertising blurb on the sets in town..
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-ente ... -and-smart

reddevil
udonmap.com

Post by reddevil » February 2, 2017, 8:37 am

Just bought a Samsung SUHD Smart curved TV 55 inch with a curved sound bar from Power buy at Home Pro 50,900 baht price 1 week ago was 70,000 baht. We have to wait 7 days for delivery but hey ho get some more parts for the Z4 now.

Rockfossil
udonmap.com

Post by Rockfossil » February 2, 2017, 8:59 am

I recently bought a "smart" tv. I also have true connected. Both the free to air and the cable are pretty useless for what you want to watch. After reading the instructions I found I could connect my iphone to my tv and watch anything I like that I could get on my phone. You will need to buy a short cable/adaptor, which cost me approx. 2,900 baht from you local phone shops. I plug my HDML cable into the adaptor and the adaptor plugs into the phone. Play with the remote and you will be watching youtube in 42 inch colour very quickly. You can also see you photos, videos, anything that is on the phone can be put onto the tv.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 2, 2017, 9:08 am

Apart from screen size :D the real price driver on TVs at the moment is the screen resolution.
The new generation of resolution is called 4K. That is because it has 4 times the number of pixels to the inch than the previous models.
You do, of course, need to be receiving programs in 4K in order to take advantage of that.. :D
So mainly for DVD, games consoles & downloaded needed to take advantage of the resolution.
The prior best resolution was High definition or 1080.

The various TV manufacturing companies often use their own designation letters to describe the definition so this does need to be looked at carefully when comparing models & prices..

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 2, 2017, 9:14 am

Rockfossil wrote:I recently bought a "smart" tv. I also have true connected. Both the free to air and the cable are pretty useless for what you want to watch. After reading the instructions I found I could connect my iphone to my tv and watch anything I like that I could get on my phone. You will need to buy a short cable/adaptor, which cost me approx. 2,900 baht from you local phone shops. I plug my HDML cable into the adaptor and the adaptor plugs into the phone. Play with the remote and you will be watching youtube in 42 inch colour very quickly. You can also see you photos, videos, anything that is on the phone can be put onto the tv.
If you have a recent Samsung smart phone & buy a Samsung Smart TV you can do this wirelessly without buying anything additional..
http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/skp/faq/1108504

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 2, 2017, 9:26 am

A few years ago, in Power Buy at HomePro, there was a salesman who grew up in Alaska. He could explain the bits and bytes of TVs. Does anyone know if he's still in the neighborhood? I may be in the market for anot her TV and would prefer dealing with a salesman who knows his stuff.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”