Upgrading to the Latest Version of Kodi is Now Necessary (17.1 Krypton)

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Upgrading to the Latest Version of Kodi is Now Necessary (17.1 Krypton)

Post by pf-flyer » April 6, 2017, 7:19 am

I received this notification from TV Addons

"This might not be the news you want to hear, but upgrading to the latest version of Kodi is pretty much necessary if you want to continue to enjoy streaming the way you want to. More and more streaming sites are moving to HTTPS, and older versions of Kodi do not offer HTTPS support. This means that at this point you really have no choice but to upgrade to Kodi 17.1 Krypton. This isn’t something that’s just going to go away, might as well do it now. Don’t sweat it though, upgrading Kodi is not very difficult."
*************************************************************************************
I just finished upgrading to Kodi Ver 17.1 Krypton on the following android TV boxes T95X, H96 Pro Plus, and Nvidia Shield with no issues. The most important thing to do before you do any upgrading is to use the XBMC Backup with file compression and then copy the backup Zip file to an external storage such as a USB flash drive or you can upload it to cloud storage such as Dropbox of Google Drive. After I preformed the upgrade I copied the XBMC backup zip file using ES File manager to the default XBMC Backup file location. This enabled me to keep all of my addons and my favorites listing. More Kodi Upgrade information can be found at the link below. Taking the time to learn how to use the XBMC Backup Program Addon and the Android ES File Manager Application will be a great asset to your skill set when you have bricked an Android TV box as many times as I have. That is how you learn.
Note: The XBMC Backup app expects this file path due to Android write permission limitations before you can write to your external storage.
" [color=#FF0040][color=#FF0040] /your_drive/Android/data/org.xbmc.kod/files/xxxx.zip[/color][/color] "
More info can be found at this link.
https://www.tvaddons.ag/upgrade-kodi-krypton/

"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Re: Upgrading to the Latest Version of Kodi is Now Necessary (17.1 Krypton)

Post by Charlieb » April 6, 2017, 9:29 am

I just updated 17.1 over 17.1 RC1 without issue. I did not lose any of the original settings I had.
I did backup, just in case, but the backup was not needed.

If you are going from an earlier version of Kodi, you may need it but be aware that a lot of things have changed like the advancedsettings.xml file

If it were me, and it is not, going from Kodi 16, I would uninstall 16 and do every thing fresh with 17. It does not take that long to reconfigure.

Remember, if going from 16 to 17 you need Android 5.1 OS at a minimum.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » April 6, 2017, 11:02 pm

I haven't got a box yet so using laptop with Windows 8 & delaying upgrade as long as possible despite the warning message
Will there be any issues if I try to upgrade to 17 or is it only compatible with Windows 10
Many thanks

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » April 7, 2017, 1:37 am

If I were you, I would get rid of Windows 8... Windows 7 was far better and uses less resources.
I'm not a fan of Windows 10, but it's an improvement on 8 for sure... or at least upgrade to 8.1.

As far as Kodi is concerned, I'm still running 16.1 Jarvis with as few add-ons as possible.
I have Exodus and UK Turks for TV stuff, and for SKY and sports I use ZEM (It's within the 'Fusion' repo listed under International, Pakistan, SHANIS.. all the Premiership football (in English language) and all the SKY channels in there, including SKY-F1 play way smoother than other add-ons). You don't need a VPN with this either as it loads local Proxy's as required.

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » April 7, 2017, 2:04 am

Thanks

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » April 7, 2017, 2:17 am

Hi Stevo
Can ZEM do the Golf Channel from USA as well?
It's not on my list of ZEM

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » April 7, 2017, 5:23 am

[quote="Stevo"]If I were you, I would get rid of Windows 8... Windows 7 was far better and uses less resources.
I'm not a fan of Windows 10, but it's an improvement on 8 for sure... or at least upgrade to 8.1.

As far as Kodi is concerned, I'm still running 16.1 Jarvis with as few add-ons as possible.
I have Exodus and UK Turks for TV stuff, and for SKY and sports I use ZEM (It's within the 'Fusion' repo listed under International, Pakistan, SHANIS.. all the Premiership football (in English language) and all the SKY channels in there, including SKY-F1 play way smoother than other add-ons). You don't need a VPN with this either as it loads local Proxy's as required.[/quote]

I am running Kodi Ver 17.1 on Windows 10 with no issues. I agree Microsoft Operating Systems can consume a lot of resources.
FYI: I was able import the XBMC Backup zip file from my Android box into the Kodi 17.1 Build on my laptop running Windows 10 and import all of my add-ons, My PVR & Live TV playlist and favorites list. When you run the restore it will notify you that the version is not the same but I selected the option to continue and the backup restore preformed correctly.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » April 7, 2017, 6:34 am

Several places to get US golf channel. UK Turks is one

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » April 7, 2017, 7:14 am

I use UK Turks but reception is very poor
Can you let me know the others pls
ZEM is much better for sky etc but no Golf Channel
Thanks

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » April 7, 2017, 11:29 am

Israelive is one
https://www.tvaddons.ag/kodi-addons/sho ... israelive/

There are others such as Sports Devil,etc.

UK Turks works fine for me

vidmaster
udonmap.com

Post by vidmaster » April 7, 2017, 11:20 pm

Thanks Charlieb

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”