Windows 10 creator upgrade

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Windows 10 creator upgrade

Post by BobHelm » April 15, 2017, 9:27 am

If you are a Windows 10 user then Microsoft are currently rolling out an upgrade to the system which they have called Windows 10 Creator.
In a way it is almost Windows 11, except Microsoft said that they would stop doing that with the introduction of Windows 10.. :D
For anyone who is interested then here is a summary of the changes..
http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/15256 ... res-review

The greatest improvements are centered on 2 of the items that Microsoft introduced with Windows 10.
The Edge browser
The Cortana Assistant.

From a personal perspective then these are actually 2 of the areas in Windows 10 that I stay well clear of.
The Edge browser may well have some neat features, but nothing that can't be replicated in either the Firefox or Chrome browser and I find the whole idea of Cortana far too intrusive for me..

One thing that you need to do after the upgrade is check & change any privacy settings you had altered in Windows 10.
The system will almost certainly be set back to the 'standard' that Microsoft recommend. You might well feel that this gives them far, far to much personal data about you & too great a control over system preferences!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Re: Windows 10 creator upgrade

Post by FrazeeDK » April 15, 2017, 10:29 am

yeah, got the pushed update that disconnected me from the internet when I was Skyping with my son in the States.. It clogged resources on the laptop so I suspected they were pushing updates.. First time I've ever had weird stuff happen to open Apps during a push though..
Dave

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 15, 2017, 10:37 am

Well that is actually one of the improvements in Creator, Dave.
After it has installed it is then possible to..
now pause updates for a week, or configure active hours in Windows 10 for up to 18 hours a day. This should reduce complaints about Windows 10 automatically rebooting machines for updates, and provide the ability for users to control them better.
Rumor has it that there will be a large upgrade of the system before this year is out, with a few more 'goodies' involved.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Re: Windows 10 Patch

Post by jingjai » July 11, 2017, 12:16 pm

With Patch Tuesday imminent, make sure you have Automatic Update turned off
In case you hadn’t noticed, Microsoft has had a tough time with patches this year. From a total lack of patches in February (except for a late IE patch), to yanked and reissued botched patches that followed, to a jumble of problems with Windows and Office patches—including seven admitted bugs in last month’s Office patches—Microsoft has proved itself adept at Jack-in-the-box patching. You don't have to join the legions of unpaid patch beta testers.

Don’t get me wrong. You need to patch eventually. But you don’t need to march to Microsoft’s tune. Many—dare I say most—advanced Windows users don’t let Microsoft’s poorly tested patches onto their machines until the initial screams of pain have subsided.
Entire Article: http://computerworld.com/article/320670 ... ml?ref=yfp

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 11, 2017, 7:26 pm

I received these messages today when I booted up:

Although I use Chrome instead of the MS browser, I've had no complaints at all with Windows 10 in 2 years of use. Although I'd never discount the idea of a major hack against MS (or google), I feel confident that they've too much to lose by not being especially tough on security.
Attachments
20170711_191946.jpg
20170711_191936.jpg

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » July 11, 2017, 8:08 pm

I also use chrome and got the same message maybe they are trying to win back long time users who deserted?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 12, 2017, 1:04 am

To make sure Windows 10 does not automatically update patches etc. I set my internet connection to metered which stops auto update. When I'm ready to update I go to control panel and do Check for Updates

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 12, 2017, 10:21 am

IMHO, Microsoft is simply creating work for their software engineers. I don't want software that supposedly does everything for everyone. Windows 10 is already packed with things that I will never use. They are creating a good reason to go to a simple Linux operating system.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 12, 2017, 7:36 pm

Maybe it's because I have a bit of old-school in me...remembering the daze of buying a computer that had 15 operating manuals in the box, or a fistful of disks to install, or buying security software (and often the hazards that went with that software), or the threat of the blue screen of death.
I can't get enough of the convenience of Windows 10, updates in the background and, up to now, without fail, and a security package that has kept me trouble free for the past few years.......for free.
I got a side note on my computer that the update was ready to install, next time I powered down or the computer went to sleep. It all happened in the span of less than 15 minutes.......trouble free.
Now, where did I put my rose-colored glasses?

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » July 12, 2017, 8:32 pm

Mine has just been updated finished the download 2 minutes ago.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”